Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 11:04 AM

741 posts, read 1,113,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
What neighborhood? A high dense group of 25 yo govie and think tank Nats fans? ? Thats a Private Club, not a neighborhood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Im from a big city where neighborhood residents consist of infants to elderly; lower middle class w upper middle class sprinkled in; community services that serves all sorts, diff languages, diff cultures.
Navy Yard is very much a neighborhood. Your comments about Navy Yard are uninformed.

In addition to market-rate apartments and condos, these are within the boundary of the Navy Yard neighborhood:

- Van Ness Elementary School
- Eagle Academy Public Charter School
- Arthur Capper Recreation Center
- Public housing units
- Senior housing
- Workforce housing
- A military installation
- Multiple churches

Navy Yard consists of infants to elderly, lower middle class, upper middle class, community services, different languages, and different cultures (see my above list).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 09:52 AM

130 posts, read 143,218 times
https://www.popville.com/2019/09/bas...ing-navy-yard/

Old 09-10-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmvwhatup View Post
Happy to see JBG Smith announce the retail lineup at West Half.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:52 PM

I got word that the State Data Center in DC's Office of Planning, which submits suggested changes on DC census tracts to the Census Bureau, has suggested to change Census Tract 72 exactly like the split that I featured on this post. I've been contemplating that it should be split this way since 2016 when I first made a map of the three zones.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?h...150000002&z=15

At least one (there could be more) really high-density census tract is coming to DC soon. Although I'm thinking it'll likely be DC's densest census tract (or #2 dense at worst) in 2020, It'll take another 10 years (in time for the 2030 census) for density in this census tract to really explode (there is the potential for 135,000+ people per square mile in one of the three new tracts - not the other two though).

I also got word on the changes coming to Census Tract 106, which covers most of NoMa. I'll may make a separate thread with some analysis about it. Census Tract 106 will be split into three separate tracts as well. Because of the fact that NoMa's new census tracts cover a lot of land that is not yet developed or contains a lot of office space, the tracts in NoMa will not look as impressive as the new tract in Navy Yard.

Last edited by revitalizer; 09-11-2019 at 05:07 PM..

Old 09-12-2019, 05:35 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revitalizer View Post
I got word that the State Data Center in DC's Office of Planning, which submits suggested changes on DC census tracts to the Census Bureau, has suggested to change Census Tract 72 exactly like the split that I featured on this post. I've been contemplating that it should be split this way since 2016 when I first made a map of the three zones.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?h...150000002&z=15

At least one (there could be more) really high-density census tract is coming to DC soon. Although I'm thinking it'll likely be DC's densest census tract (or #2 dense at worst) in 2020, It'll take another 10 years (in time for the 2030 census) for density in this census tract to really explode (there is the potential for 135,000+ people per square mile in one of the three new tracts - not the other two though).

I also got word on the changes coming to Census Tract 106, which covers most of NoMa. I'll may make a separate thread with some analysis about it. Census Tract 106 will be split into three separate tracts as well. Because of the fact that NoMa's new census tracts cover a lot of land that is not yet developed or contains a lot of office space, the tracts in NoMa will not look as impressive as the new tract in Navy Yard.
Looking forward to hearing more about this .

Old 09-17-2019, 05:05 PM

409 posts, read 333,895 times
https://www.popville.com/2019/09/som...afe-navy-yard/

My type of store! Looks dope.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:15 PM

142 posts, read 93,516 times
People who still call Navy Yard boring and bland in 2019 are frankly just quoting the same old boring thing people said 6 years ago. The neighborhood has matured a lot on street level. My wife and I walked through a few days ago and were talking about how there are finally a lot of really interesting restaurants, stores etc. Compared to other parts of DC with nothing but high end restaurants, it has a decent mix of high end and low key, and lots of fast casual. My daughter played in the splash pad there all summer and the number and diversity of people out, playing in the water and walking around is also impressive.

All I'm saying is outside of stats and everything it really does finally feel like more of a neighborhood and that the density of unique restaurants and retail is getting there. Dismissing the area just because it's all new isn't incredibly insightful.

Old 09-19-2019, 05:42 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGentle View Post
People who still call Navy Yard boring and bland in 2019 are frankly just quoting the same old boring thing people said 6 years ago. The neighborhood has matured a lot on street level. My wife and I walked through a few days ago and were talking about how there are finally a lot of really interesting restaurants, stores etc. Compared to other parts of DC with nothing but high end restaurants, it has a decent mix of high end and low key, and lots of fast casual. My daughter played in the splash pad there all summer and the number and diversity of people out, playing in the water and walking around is also impressive.

All I'm saying is outside of stats and everything it really does finally feel like more of a neighborhood and that the density of unique restaurants and retail is getting there. Dismissing the area just because it's all new isn't incredibly insightful.
That's because majority of those people are just driving past, or coming up from the Metro station from a Nats game and walking to the ballpark then right back to the Metro. They are not either living in the area, or spending significant time over the course of months or years exploring the new changes in the neighborhood. It has been the most amazing neighborhood transformation DC has seen in 20 years period.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGentle View Post

I agree. The neighborhood is definitely maturing - with an abundance of diverse restaurant and store options.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:09 PM

409 posts, read 333,895 times
https://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/...y-to-navy-yard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC