Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 10:44 AM

28 posts, read 130,876 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I read in the Post a year or so ago that Verizon Wireless had put up the infrastructure so that people can make and receive cell phone calls in Metro stations and on the trains. Is this true? Does anyone use any other carriers, and are you able to make/receive calls while using the Metro?

I'll be using the Metro almost exclusively, and it's important to me to be in phone contact to receive ELLIN notifications and arrange for rides in the event of station closures, etc. I know there are phones in stations to call for assistance, but there's nothing like having your own cell.

So, which phones can I use on the Metro - on trains, and in the stations?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 11:04 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,717,786 times
I have AT&T/Cingular, which doesn't work in the stations (some it'll work close to the escalators, but that's about it), but my friends who have Verizon use their phones. Sometimes the signal's not too strong, so they can only really text messsage, but beyond that it generally works. I don't know whether any other providers work or not.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:40 PM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Verizon runs the network. Sprint phones can roam on the Metro. I use my Sprint Blackberry on the trains all of the time.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:10 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Right...the exclusive deal was actually signed some years back with Bell Atlantic who did the installation. Verizon inherited it later. Sprint works, but I'm not sure how. They must have some sort of arrangement with Verizon. Metro has been working for a couple of years on plans for all-carrier cell phone support, but it will likely be more years yet before that becomes a reality. I use Verizon in the tunnels all the time, and in general, it works just fine. In general means with some exceptions, of course...

Old 06-22-2008, 03:16 PM

28 posts, read 130,876 times
All helpful information so far, thanks. I'm a Sprint customer now but I'm not tied to any particular network. Looks like Verizon's for me if I want to avoid roaming. And yeah, I wasn't expecting perfect service but it's good to hear that it's pretty reliable.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:04 PM

181 posts, read 838,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Right...the exclusive deal was actually signed some years back with Bell Atlantic who did the installation. Verizon inherited it later. Sprint works, but I'm not sure how.
Verizon Wireless and Sprint use CDMA technology, which allows each carrier's phones to roam on the other's network. AT&T, T-Mobile, and Alltell, on the other hand, use GSM technology, which makes them incompatible with Verizon Wireless's infrastructure.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:11 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,383,184 times
Most Sprint plans have free roaming anyway, so I think both Verizon and Sprint are equally good on the Metro.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:57 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion1778 View Post
Verizon Wireless and Sprint use CDMA technology, which allows each carrier's phones to roam on the other's network. AT&T, T-Mobile, and Alltell, on the other hand, use GSM technology, which makes them incompatible with Verizon Wireless's infrastructure.
Thanks! That's a mystery resolved!

Old 06-23-2008, 06:02 AM

658 posts, read 1,894,319 times
I use Alltel, and it works fine on the Metro.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 7,382 times
I read an article that all of the major carriers (AT&T, T-mobile, Sprint) will have service on the metro as of October 2009 in the 20 busiest stations and everywhere by 2010.Metro opens up wireless access to iPhones - Washington Business Journal:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC