Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 04:57 AM

258 posts, read 534,576 times

Advertisements

thanks.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 11:24 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adio View Post
thats really a big problem in upscale dc and PG county!?!?!!? i would think the majority of these types of areas have a 2-parent home/ a single parent home is the exception.
I don't know if rich kids acting hood is a regional issue. I'm from Georgia and have met plenty of kids from solidly middle class black neighborhoods acting all hood. Annoying.

Shoulder shrug regarding single parent households. The President came from a single parent household.

Its not the kids' job to value education. They're kids the only thing they want to do is play and eat candy.

I thought Fairview Vistat Drive looked nice. I wouldn't call it cramped in fact I'd say quite the opposite. There was lots of green space according to streetview. Typical suburban/exurban townhouse development for this area. I live in a similar development but its older, so thankfully there are more trees.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:04 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I don't know if rich kids acting hood is a regional issue. I'm from Georgia and have met plenty of kids from solidly middle class black neighborhoods acting all hood. Annoying.

Shoulder shrug regarding single parent households. The President came from a single parent household.

Its not the kids' job to value education. They're kids the only thing they want to do is play and eat candy.

I thought Fairview Vistat Drive looked nice. I wouldn't call it cramped in fact I'd say quite the opposite. There was lots of green space according to streetview. Typical suburban/exurban townhouse development for this area. I live in a similar development but its older, so thankfully there are more trees.
But it's become an epidemic in PG. There was a story in the Post a few years ago about single women buying large houses in the Bowie area and how some subdivisions are full of single women who are either mothers or just by themselves. Why is this a problem? Step into the classrooms in PG county and you notice that a majority of the schools have kids who come from these homes and do not get disciplined. Some of these kids do not see their parents until late in the evening and often engage themselves in things they should not. You also do not have someone who able to consistently get on these kids. It's just a mess. I would love for them to do a study in the PG/DC areas, but I believe single parent homes are hurting the development of some of these kids because many of them come from broken homes with rule issues and the school systems are not equip to deal with these type of problems.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
they'll pop up right after i buy the house. and i'm trying to look at these things, but the better these amenities are the more the houseprice skyrockets.

both!! i see a jumbo amount of newer houses down there for $140k and under and they appear to be in good shape. i also need warmer weather.

you know what?? i kinda felt that when i was driving around st. james sanctuary drive off of fairwood parkway 1 night a few days after christmas. i mean, nobody was outside posted on the corner but i just had a sense of ' idk if i would move over here.' i got lost on fairview vista drive that same night too( it seems cramped over there)

Rich, Black, Flunking | Feature | Oakland, Berkeley & Bay Area News & Arts Coverage

thats really a big problem in upscale dc and PG county!?!?!!? i would think the majority of these types of areas have a 2-parent home/ a single parent home is the exception.

Sorry to add on to your reading digest, but check this out. This gives you and terrence81 an idea of what I'm talking about.

Black and single in the suburbs - The Root DC Live - The Washington Post

Census shows incomes rising, marriages declining for blacks in Prince George's

Old 05-01-2012, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Sorry to add on to your reading digest, but check this out. This gives you and terrence81 an idea of what I'm talking about.

Black and single in the suburbs - The Root DC Live - The Washington Post

Census shows incomes rising, marriages declining for blacks in Prince George's
kris marsh is bad he!! ........
idk it was so much that writers were doing stories on it.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:27 AM

460 posts, read 1,017,873 times
How much of a commute are you willing to deal with?? Of course further out you'd have a better chance of finding something at that price point. There are some decent areas in Charles County and as people have mentioned PG County.... all of these counties though have "good" and "bad" neighborhoods or areas... but being a little further our are more affordable. More affordable, generally still not cheap at all compared to other areas. But Charles County has a little bit better taxes than PG.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
How much of a commute are you willing to deal with?? Of course further out you'd have a better chance of finding something at that price point. There are some decent areas in Charles County and as people have mentioned PG County.... all of these counties though have "good" and "bad" neighborhoods or areas... but being a little further our are more affordable. More affordable, generally still not cheap at all compared to other areas. But Charles County has a little bit better taxes than PG.
I agree Charles County is a pretty nice alternative. It doesn't have the black enclaves that PG has but it has a sizable black population in places like Waldorf and it has a lot of shopping (the wife would love it). The major issue with Charles County is traffic. They have a horrible road system to get to and from DC.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I agree Charles County is a pretty nice alternative. It doesn't have the black enclaves that PG has but it has a sizable black population in places like Waldorf and it has a lot of shopping (the wife would love it). The major issue with Charles County is traffic. They have a horrible road system to get to and from DC.
and route 5 isn't bad?? haha.. I totally agree with you... but going into dc in my personal opinion.. sucks pretty much regardless of which angle you are coming from. 210 is as bad as any of the other roads during rush hour.

But yes I agree... with the entire commuting situation.. really stinks. But there are good busing systems too.. that's why I ask what commuting time would you be able to take on or accept.. because some people think 30 minutes is too long.. but others drive 1.5 hours each way and are okay with it. My neighbor loves taking the bus so that she can listen to her music or talk on her phone or sit with paperwork in hand, read a book etc.. on the way home instead of worry about driving herself.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
i wonder if thats gonna change in 3yrs or less?.....
omg, rt 301 has to be about 3 - 4 miles of stores stores stores

Old 05-01-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
i wonder if thats gonna change in 3yrs or less?.....
omg, rt 301 has to be about 3 - 4 miles of stores stores stores

It's possible.. but I wouldn't count on anything "ifs" when planning. I just try not to cross over 301 if I can help it during busy times . Definitely pretty close to anything you could need there... but they definitely keep building houses and apartments all of there place! I guess that is everywhere though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: