Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 07:31 PM

8 posts, read 23,722 times

Advertisements

Hi, it's been a long time since I lived around D.C. and I need the help of some locals. I'm using D.C. for a minor setting in my book and I want the name of some areas and/or streets where you might find abandoned warehouses or storefronts and enough crime where nobody really reports suspicious activity. Any thoughts? (P.S. The book is a NaNoWriMo.org project, unlikely to be published - but I really like to be as accurate as possible). Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 07:59 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,564,833 times
Pretty much anything along New York Ave. in northeast would work.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:21 PM

8 posts, read 23,722 times
Thank You!

Old 11-03-2009, 12:40 PM

123 posts, read 504,296 times
No more of those areas. From the 70's to the early 90's you would have had several chapters. We've cleaned our act up. Kudos to Washington. I love DC!

Old 11-03-2009, 12:43 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,088,424 times
There never was a large warehouse district in DC. The road out New York Avenue and Rhode Island Avenue had some and light retail, along with areas along the red line railroad tracks up into Maryland, but nothing that would be your stereotypical 'docks' or 'warehouse' district like you'd see in a big city.

There are stretches in NE and SE DC that might be areas where crime is more commonplace but not that many 'anything goes' zones.

Here is a murder map of DC over the last few years.

All murders in Washington, DC, 2005 (red), 2006 (green), 2007 (purple), 2008 (yellow)

Old 11-03-2009, 12:45 PM

437 posts, read 1,229,400 times
Not to besmirch Baltimore but you will probably find a lot more of what you're looking for up there, maybe try the Baltimore forum for suggestions.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:29 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,564,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWALDON View Post
No more of those areas.
I love DC too, but we've still got a number of rough areas. Take a leisurely stroll through Ivy City sometime...

Old 11-03-2009, 02:18 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,231,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Pretty much anything along New York Ave. in northeast would work.
First thing that popped into my head, too!

Old 11-03-2009, 07:22 PM

123 posts, read 504,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I love DC too, but we've still got a number of rough areas. Take a leisurely stroll through Ivy City sometime...

Ivy city.....point taken, so we have a few blemishes, but their is no more Garfield Terrace, Valley Green, East Gate just to name a few on the south side. North side their is no more Clifton Terrace, Sersum Corders, Point Place. This board is quick to judge the south side, but 95% of them can't name a neighborhood. Go figure. Logan Circle was infested with prostitutes and pimps. Look at today. All up and down 14th st was terrible. Lets not even mention China Town. All kinds of sh@$@t was going on down there. At any give time 14th and W would have 100 addicts and dealers doing what they do 24/7. The only reason you would go to U st is to get a gressy half smoke from Ben's...lol..I love Ben's.. Go to these areas and many more today and you will see beautiful townhomes, businesses, clean apartment dwellings and so on.

When I first arrived in 1987, DC was a very depressing place, but being only 19 it didn't affect me. I went to Maryland U, worked and still had a blast. I never complained. Poster, you would have gotten serveral binders of pictures and info on Washingtonback then. This place was a war zone and many buildings resembled it. Not any more.

Washington has HAD A FACE LIFT and any old timer can back me on this. This city is thriving and the compitition for your dream job/business is as competitive as can be. Don't you love it. The complaints I hear from this board from adults is amusing to say the least. How can you not find your groove in this great city. Great jobs, food, wine, people. I can take a trip to NYC/Atlantic City in 3.5 hrs. I can visit a friend in the city of Brotherly Love in 2 hrs. The beach of Ocean City is 2.5 hrs away. What more can I ask for. People from all over the world come to this great city to get educated and work.

Sorry poster, but Washington is no longer that city of old. We have a new image and its showing its beautiful face every single day.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:44 PM

220 posts, read 704,159 times

-Anacostia
-Deanwood
-Lincoln Heights
-Kennedy Street NW (9th, 7th, 1st)
-Columbia Heights at night (particularly around Girard and Fairmont)
-Minnesota Ave and Benning Rd NE
-Good Hope Road and Naylor Road and Alabama Ave
-Stanton Road
-Southern Ave
-Livingston Rd
-Condon Terrace
-Barry Farm
-Langston Terr
-Shipley Terrace
-Savannah Terrace
^^these are D.C.'s roughest, mostly in NE and SE.
and I can go on.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: