Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2009, 12:44 PM

994 posts, read 900,926 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

There is a possibility that my girlfriend will be offered a job in DC, while I work in Baltimore. We would like to start looking at housing in places about equal distance from DC and Baltimore, and we want to take mass transit to work (if possible), preferably rail. I'm assuming that there are a few areas that would fit the bill? Ideally we want to live in a town (i.e. main street with shops) instead of a suburban area with lots of shopping centers, but I know beggars can't be choosers, so we will consider whatever would work.

Can anyone offer insight for this scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 02:16 PM

470 posts, read 2,095,967 times
Aside from the whole "town with main street and shops" part, Laurel fits the bill. It's roughly equidistant and on the MARC line.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:14 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,087,322 times
I make a general suggestion when people suggest 'split the difference' commutes--don't.

Let's say you do a dead in the middle of the MARC rail between Washington and Baltimore. That means about 30 minutes on the MARC to either city. Plus the 15 minutes to get to the station in your home town. Plus the 15 minutes to get from the stations to your offices and you have a 60 minute commute for each person each way.

That's two hours out of both of your lives, or more accurately, 4 hours commuting for the 'household'. You will both be a bit tired, a bit wired come the end of the day, and if for some reason one of the trains is delayed but not the other someone is going to wait at the station for the other train to come in and thus both of you are going to be in a delay, etc.

Compare this to another scenario: 1 person commutes by rail, the other walks to work (or basically). Live either in Baltimore or Washington, near the station. One person will have a very easy commute, the other a slightly longer one. The person with the easier commute takes care of dinner, straightens the house, pays the bills, does the laundry, etc.

This way the little things in life continue to get done and you aren't both too tired to deal with them (which can lead to more headaches).

Just a thought.

Good luck with your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC