Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 11:21 PM

203 posts, read 278,870 times

Advertisements

Customer service jobs are hard to fill around here. Often times the people in them are there because the bosses cant find anyone else. In this area unlike in other places, there isnt an established blue collar class here so there is a sharp divide between those that make a lot of money and those that make almost nothing in customer service type jobs. Around here, many high school and college age kids have their college paid for by parents or get enough support from home to have loans cover the rest. This means that fewer young people take the low paying jobs. Those that do typically work as a waiter/waitress. Most other customer service jobs go to immigrants that come from a different work culture that are desperate for money simply to survive. If you want good customer service around here you would need to raise salaries and then raise prices to compensate for the rise in salaries. Unless our government does something to curb the illegal immigration, we will see many more around here in the coming years and the amount of them that speak no English will also go up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 08:56 AM

207 posts, read 537,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs1987 View Post
Customer service jobs are hard to fill around here. Often times the people in them are there because the bosses cant find anyone else. In this area unlike in other places, there isnt an established blue collar class here so there is a sharp divide between those that make a lot of money and those that make almost nothing in customer service type jobs. Around here, many high school and college age kids have their college paid for by parents or get enough support from home to have loans cover the rest. This means that fewer young people take the low paying jobs. Those that do typically work as a waiter/waitress. Most other customer service jobs go to immigrants that come from a different work culture that are desperate for money simply to survive. If you want good customer service around here you would need to raise salaries and then raise prices to compensate for the rise in salaries. Unless our government does something to curb the illegal immigration, we will see many more around here in the coming years and the amount of them that speak no English will also go up.

I agree. Its not even the lack of English skills so much as it is the stankness. Its your job whatever you think of it. Believe me, I worked minimum wage when it was 3 and 4 dollars. 7 or 8 dollars back then was a dream baby. LOL. And its hard as STEEL to work those jobs because many people are quite crappy to those workers. But I'm not and I need them to show discretion. I specifically smile politely and say "good afternoon or good morning" I speak with a pleasant tone and am very friendly. So sorry, I don't deserve your turned up nose, funky disposition and bland reception when I ask you something.

Anyway, its business. Its customer service. And speaking from someone who has not had a full time job in almost a year, yeah I'd ***** slap one of those folks right now and steal their job if I could. Unemployment SUCKS.

Anywhoo, love the response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC