Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 01:59 PM

9 posts, read 14,235 times

Advertisements

thanks Juniperbleu-its good to know there are people who take it all in stride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher383940 View Post
Aww shucks now, a bike messenger. Nice. Can't wait. I'll feel even super sexy then. Mmm-hmmm!!
yeah its like that in NoVa too, my friends and I get hit on excessively-pretty much whenever I'm out in public and not in the company of a male friend. You get used to it after a while and develop a standard refusal. Just as long as they take no for an answer...some guys around here have a tendency for stalking as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 02:02 PM

311 posts, read 844,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristocat View Post
This thread is reminding me of a question I've had about DC. I don't really consider myself much of an outsider when I go there because I live in Northern Virginia and my dad worked there for several years (one of those cops who likes to give the "reality" tour of where the week's top crimes occurred to his family). Anyway, the other week I was hanging out on the mall and while tourists were usually quite friendly (saying hi, talking about attractions, etc) when I went a couple of blocks into the business district in hopes of finding a lunch that wasn't from a hotdog stand its like I suddenly turned invisible. I saw a man who was carrying a cup from McDonalds and was tempted to ask him directions to the establishment but he obviously had his head in the clouds.

Anyway, to get to my question do you guys find that DC residents and workers do not like being approached by strangers seeking directions? I've been approached for directions by a tourist and felt bad that I couldn't be of much help. However I think people like Teacher383940 who are being accosted all the time by strangers could be really put out if a tourist interrupted them. What are your thoughts/experiences? Is DC generally friendly to outsiders or unfriendly?
Yes...Yes...and Yes..

I'm honestly just going to say it..

There is so MUCH information about DC on the web, so much technology one could use to find a location nowadays....and I sometimes feel people come to the area thinking that us DC locals are there just as their GPS devices...now I'm not saying you are one of them, if you visited I would love to help but then again I don't know if you're a regular guy asking for directions to the bathroom or a super-tourist who after i give bathroom directions wants directions to the zoo, the national mall, and the best "burger spot" as well, and "OMG could you take a pic of me, my wife, and kids as well??".......... when I first moved here, and people sniffed that I actually live here and was pretty cordial (since I came from Georgia, so maybe I 'smelled' like southern hospitality lol ) and I got asked SO many questions about where to go, what to do, "please hold this camera", it was ridiculous...now I'll make exceptions for older people and children lol...but if I'm visiting the smithsonian for instance, I don't have time to give directions to everyone for everything because I'm trying to enjoy the experience just as much as the tourist...there are plenty of people around like local policeman, customer service employees at different locations, etc who can help and tourists seem to avoid them like the plague....even though, I live here, I know I'll get results quicker and more efficiently if I just go inside a convenience store, or gift shop, or something where they are working anyways and ask directions versus asking random people in the street enjoying their day.....maybe I've become hardened *sigh*

now when I'm back home in GA...that's a different story all-together and I'll be happy to assist.

Last edited by GaBison2007; 04-13-2010 at 02:29 PM..

Old 04-13-2010, 02:49 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,891,088 times
I don't mind helping tourists out at all. I think people are generally friendlier if you catch them during non rush-hour times. People are focused on getting to work in the a.m. And exhausted in the p.m.

I get the most questions at the Metro Stations. "Does this train go to blah, blah, blah". Or "How do I get to the monuments". Tourists are much better off getting information from a friendly local than they are from Metro Workers. While I have met one or two that were very friendly, the vast majority of the people that work at the stations are just absolutely a$$hats. I tell visiting friends and family to ask a military guy. They are always so sweet!

Old 04-13-2010, 03:25 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,093,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher383940 View Post
One more observation. I'm not a big fan of that historical look. When I was traveling east, I noticed how some areas just looked so damn OLD. And yes, it is but didn't appeal to me that much. And DC is the same, I noticed regular "modern day" businesses in very old looking buildings or homes.
How is it that the folks who aren't big fans of "that historical look" end up in DC, and NoVa ends up with the people who can't deal with any buildings that were built after 1965? Maybe y'all should just swap identities (or, failing that, apartments) for a while.

Good luck with your urban adventure.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:33 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,565,642 times
Personally, I always try to be friendly and assist tourists. I know what it's like to be confused and/or lost in a major city, even when you think you've planned appropriately.

That said, sometimes the questions are just idiotic. I was waiting to cross the street at 7th and D once, and someone asked me where the Mall was. Come on, now...it's that huge expanse of grass you see in front of you about two blocks away.

Another favorite: "Where is the Smithsonian?" "Which one?" "The museum."

Old 04-13-2010, 03:48 PM

207 posts, read 537,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
How is it that the folks who aren't big fans of "that historical look" end up in DC, and NoVa ends up with the people who can't deal with any buildings that were built after 1965? Maybe y'all should just swap identities (or, failing that, apartments) for a while.

Good luck with your urban adventure.
Okay, I'm just saying for the high price of everything in the DC area, I just expect things to be newer. You're paying a super high price for old things?? Sorry makes no sense to me. Which is why I'm living a newer apartment building. I just like more modern things. That's all.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBison2007 View Post
Yes...Yes...and Yes..

There is so MUCH information about DC on the web, so much technology one could use to find a location nowadays....and I sometimes feel people come to the area thinking that us DC locals are there just as their GPS devices...now I'm not saying you are one of them, if you visited I would love to help but then again I don't know if you're a regular guy asking for directions to the bathroom or a super-tourist who after i give bathroom directions wants directions to the zoo, the national mall, and the best "burger spot" as well, and "OMG could you take a pic of me, my wife, and kids as well??".......... when I first moved here, and people sniffed that I actually live here and was pretty cordial (since I came from Georgia, so maybe I 'smelled' like southern hospitality lol ) and I got asked SO many questions about where to go, what to do, "please hold this camera", it was ridiculous...now I'll make exceptions for older people and children lol...but if I'm visiting the smithsonian for instance, I don't have time to give directions to everyone for everything because I'm trying to enjoy the experience just as much as the tourist...there are plenty of people around like local policeman, customer service employees at different locations, etc who can help and tourists seem to avoid them like the plague....even though, I live here, I know I'll get results quicker and more efficiently if I just go inside a convenience store, or gift shop, or something where they are working anyways and ask directions versus asking random people in the street enjoying their day.....maybe I've become hardened *sigh*

now when I'm back home in GA...that's a different story all-together and I'll be happy to assist.

I can understand it can be quite annoying to have people stopping you and asking you questions all the time. But I'm an informed tourist and I do my research. I was simply asking if I was going in the right direction because Union Station is so huge, I was not sure.

As for the rest, please I looked all that up before I got there, so I knew that. I hate asking anyone anything. I cant stand to be asked question either, but in the city where I know I'm new and someone else is having the same problem, I will help, I don't care.

But you're right, we are not personal tour guides, so hey take your own damn pick or everyone bring a camera so you can have the same pictures. Get your maps and gps systems out and do your research before you get there.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:30 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,909,927 times
So weird, those are all things that are pretty much normal, it seems to me like.

Yeah people with disabilities, physical and mental, ride the bus. No more so in DC than NYC or Chicago or San Francisco.

Yeah customer service people $uck. That's because they're paid crap, and that's universal, not a DC thing.

Yeah homeless people beg for money. They are more concentrated here in DC than in many places, but I don't think there are necessarily more.

Cabs, and their drivers, are a WHOLE LOT more nicer here than they are in Chicago, that's for sure. I've never ridden in a DC cab that had important parts duct taped on (like the windshield or the steering wheel), I've never had one fall asleep on me, or offer me a sip from his flask. I've never had one lock me in his car and kidnap me because he didn't like the denomination of the bill I wanted to pay with.

Yeah people have trouble finding jobs. Because its a recession. The only thing that is worse about DC is that every day there are more people arriving in town hoping to snag a federal or stimulus job, and just making it harder for everybody.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:39 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,709,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBison2007 View Post
Yes...Yes...and Yes..

I got asked, "Where's the Smithsonian Museum?"

"Which one?"

"The Smithsonian."

"....Which one?"

This went on for some time. I figure, if you're going to come all the way here from the other side of the world, take 10 minutes to figure out what's there when you arrive. That said, I've never noticed people being rude about answering questions and have actually seen people from multiple groups at a time go out of their way on the Metro to help visitors figure out where they're going. As a pedestrian, you are accosted regularly for money or those clipboard causes (don't they realize that after 2 months on the same street, that 99% are the same people). So, there is a natural inclination to put the guard up.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
So weird, those are all things that are pretty much normal, it seems to me like.

Yeah people with disabilities, physical and mental, ride the bus. No more so in DC than NYC or Chicago or San Francisco.

Yeah customer service people $uck. That's because they're paid crap, and that's universal, not a DC thing.

Yeah homeless people beg for money. They are more concentrated here in DC than in many places, but I don't think there are necessarily more.

Cabs, and their drivers, are a WHOLE LOT more nicer here than they are in Chicago, that's for sure. I've never ridden in a DC cab that had important parts duct taped on (like the windshield or the steering wheel), I've never had one fall asleep on me, or offer me a sip from his flask. I've never had one lock me in his car and kidnap me because he didn't like the denomination of the bill I wanted to pay with.

Yeah people have trouble finding jobs. Because its a recession. The only thing that is worse about DC is that every day there are more people arriving in town hoping to snag a federal or stimulus job, and just making it harder for everybody.

First of all, I did say I was a person who drove alot, so being on the bus for me is 20 years ago. Its a new experience.

Secondly, most jobs pay low wages, but the spirit in which you do them should not be low. I'm sorry that I can't understand you but I am very polite because I've worked those types of jobs and acting like I'm getting on your nerves when I ask you a something you are supposed to know.

Second, I am a single woman walking by myself and I live in a city with tons of homeless people (Detroit) and its scary for me to have people constantly coming up to me begging for money. Especially since I'm five steps from being homeless my damn self.

Get the hell out my face begging all the time. I barely have it to give. And its scary.

Secondly, I've lived in Chicago and the cab drivers may have been jerky, but THEY DID NOT HIT ON ME. I don't give a damn about his personality per se, just don't ask me for my number and how can you get to know me. That sucks.

And finally people go where there is more opportunity and there seems to be more opportunity east and south. If DC doesn't work, I'm going south next. But the Michigan economy is horrible and not improving anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC