Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2011, 01:02 PM

5 posts, read 11,636 times

Advertisements

1. What types of jobs are most abundant/most available for a person to fill? Not necessarily an entry-level job like McDonald's but not a university professes either. Somewhere in the middle, decent jobs that are typically available to maybe a college student or high school graduate.

2. What jobs are the most prominent and commonly held in Bellingham? Bonus related question: what job skills are typically sought after?

3. What types of government jobs are typically available?

4. How typical are smokers in Bellingham?

5. How are people in general? Are they typically talkative and outgoing or more quiet and reserved?

6. What "types" of people are most common? I know Bellingham is known for both its college community and liberals but are there other "types" of people who are common? From what I've read, I envision hippie types, college students, and old people. Does that sum it up?

7. What is the typical price range for a good apartment?

8. How is the dating scene? I've read from a few people that it's :next to impossible to find a date in Bellingham." True?

9. How congested is traffic and transportation on an average day?

10. What are the common activities that this town "specializes" in?

11. Is there much of a nightlife? What's largely to do at night?

12. What places do you recommend that are best for meeting new people?

13. What are the "high class" parts of Bellingham and also what are the ghetto parts?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 01:13 PM

534 posts, read 3,111,620 times
Have you considered just making a visit there?

My no-nonsense thoughts on Bellingham (in no particular order):

Isolated, although close to Vancouver BC.

Fairly laid back. Night life seems to be pretty good.

Very depressing and cold in the winter.

Traffic not a major issue due to it being fairly isolated from a major city.

Housing fairly affordable.

More smokers than most parts of Western WA.

People are more approachable and social than most of Western WA.

College has a huge influence on the town and it's economy. BC also has a huge influence on the retail economy. Not sure what job demand there would be, probably slim pickings.

There aren't really any ghetto parts in Bellingham. That's very unusual for Western WA.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:57 PM

68 posts, read 317,797 times
I lived in Bellingham for four years. So I'm not a full on expert, but I've seen just about all of it. I'll try to answer your questions, but they're a bit vague and overarching. Like I said, I lived there for four years, and met a lot of nice people; but I couldn't have met more than 1% of the population. A lot of these questions will be your mileage will vary type stuff. If you gave some more info, we might be able to offer better advice.

1: Jobs are rough in Bellingham, no matter what your education. Of course, they are everywhere else, too. You could find something, but you'll have to work at it.

2: Not sure about that. I'd imagine the most prominent jobs would be with the University, as it's the biggest employer. There's not much manufacturing in the area anymore, so most of the jobs in the town are service related, while in the county I'd imagine it's agricultural stuff.

3: No idea about Govt Jobs; sorry.

4: Dunno about smokers. I didn't notice a particular abundance of them.

5: I really can't answer that for you. I made a lot of friends, but I met most of them in college.

6: My first day in Bellingham, while I was moving into my apartment, a youngish man walked down the road in front of me. He was wearing a dirty shawl, a Rastafarian hat, and no shoes. That set me up for the type of town it is: There's a good number of hippies in town, yes, though it's not Berkley North as some like to say. Most of the residents are average folks, with a leftward lean for sure (lot of organic produce, buying/growing local type stuff) but the county bends right, so it kind of evens out.

7: For a two bedroom apartment, right next to WWU, about 650 square feet, we paid $675 (so 340 or so each). Most of my friends paid similar amounts. Might be a bit higher now, a few years later, but far better then you'd find anywhere near Seattle.

8: Can't really help you on the dating. It's a college town for sure, with a pretty active nightlife/music scene. Lots o' young folks about. If you're over 36-40 or so, though, I'd think it would be a little harder.

9: Traffic is fine. Little busy on Guide Meridian during peak hours but nothing compared to a real city.

10: Outdoorsy type stuff. Hiking, Backpacking, Kayaking, that kind of thing, is what the town is known for. Lots of it. Also several fairly big lakes around if you're into boating. A lot of literary/artistic activities too. And as I said, a decent nightlife scene.

11: Lots of bars - again, college town - couple breweries as well. Only one real dance club that I remember. Decent music scene. Bar crawls aren't uncommon.

12: The college, if you're enrolled. Otherwise, the bars, restaurants, etc - same place you'd meet new people in any town.

13: Areas around Fairhaven and Chuckanut would probably be the "high class" areas, though I don't know as much about this; I was a broke college student, after all. There's really no ghetto areas, at least as could be compared to a real city. A few low income type neighborhoods, and areas filled with low rent apartments, but there's no where I'd feel worried about walking around at night.

I'll say this about Bellingham: In my experience, it's a love/hate place. Me and my friends loved living there - in fact, a good friend of mine stayed there after graduating college and got married to a local girl. If the Army ever lets me go, I'd think about moving back, though I don't know how much I'd like living there, being a bit older.

But I've known people who couldn't wait to leave, who couldn't stand the liberal bent of the town or it's populace, and couldn't imagine ever living there for good.

So my advice: Visit, if at all possible. Spend a week or two there, get a feel for the town.

Also, visit the rest of Whatcom County. There's a lot to do outside of Bellingham proper. A lot of family run farms and dairys and little towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington