Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 11:34 AM

39 posts, read 118,928 times

Advertisements

I have asked questions earlier regarding a trip we are taking to Washington State about the 8th of September. My husband and I are in our late 40's and enjoy the scenery aspect of Washington State the best. I am an avid photographer, so looking for some good pictures. My husband's uncle lives in Shelton. We would be flying in to Seattle then renting a car and driving to Shelton. From there I was considering going south to Mt. Rainer, Mt. St. Helen's then to the Columbia River Gorge. Using Mapquest it looks like we'll have to stay a night perhaps in Vancouver area. Am I right in thinking this is too long of a trip for one day and traveling back to Shelton?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 11:40 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,963,956 times
Yes, too long for one day unless you make it a race. Take your time, stay off off I5 as much as possible, and enjoy the trip.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:51 AM

Thanks for the info, I thought so. After returning to Shelton we were thinking about driving around the Olympic Peninsula. Stopping along the coast to see the beaches, Hoh Rain Forest, Lake Quinnault, then up to Cape Flattery, Lake Crescent, Hurricane Ridge, etc. Our final destination would be the San Juan Islands. My question is, some people have made comments saying that Olympic Park isn't worth the drive. There does seem like there is alot so see around and in the park. Am I wrong?

Old 03-29-2011, 12:19 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,602,853 times
Hurricane Ridge is a nice visit. I wouldn't forego a stop in Olympic National Park. There is a lot of beautiful scenery in WA. From your handle, I guess you are from the Mitten State? Say Yah to da UP, eh?

If it's still open (weather), the Sunrise access to Mt. Rainier is very nice. Otherwise, Paradise is your default option.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:16 PM

Thanks Aloha, yes we are from the UP of Michigan. I guess we'll get out the travel books and maps and try to judge how long everything takes. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:32 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,602,853 times
Take your time, yoopergirl. The scenery is spectacular; a Mt. Rainier visit can take most of a day.

Don't forget to stop by for some blackberry pie at the Copper Creek Inn near the Paradise entrance of Mt. Rainier.

Copper Creek Inn Restaurant at Mount Rainier in Washington State

Old 03-30-2011, 09:25 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,376,126 times
I'd actually recommend a loop trip for Mount Rainier and the Columbia Gorge. Head south out of Shelton and go to Mount St. Helens. Then dip south and take the road up the Gorge. Then head north across Satus Pass. I'd personally take the side trip up to Fort Simcoe near White Salmon. It is an old frontier Army fort and later an Indian school that looks out over the Yakima Valley. Head west on highway 410 over Chinook Pass to Mount Rainier. You can head south and enter the national park through Ohanepecosh and approach Paradise from the east, or you can go to Sunrise. Or both. Then wander back toward Shelton.

You owe it to yourself to get to the east side of the Cascades. I'd even go so far as recommending that you take 93 as far north as 20 and cross over Washington Pass and Rainy Pass. That is a multiple day trip, though. If you were to do that, I'd head over on 12 to Morton from Yakima, then north to Mount Rainier, and then cross back to Yakima on 410 and then head north. Cross over Blewett Pass to Hwy 2 (with a stop in Leavenworth), then north on 93 to Pateros and then west on 20. Be sure to stop in the general store in Mazama, and visit Winthrop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington