Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 07:58 AM

3 posts, read 7,455 times

Advertisements

Hi all, was considering moving out west from the east coast (Richmond, VA). Both of these places are a little less expensive than where I'm living now and Spokane is the least expensive of the two, but I'm hearing it's more of a conservative, family area. I'm a 23 year old single male that is pretty liberal so I was wondering should I just move to vancouver or could I find something in Spokane to my interest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 09:00 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,713 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Need to know a bit more info to advise you.

Both places lean a tad Right (by left-coast stds), definately they are far left from my previous location (CO / WY / NE).

Neither place will your vote count for any State or national elections (2-3 counties rule in OR and WA, 95% of each state (job creators) get no representation)

Portland being so close to Vancouver you can immerse yourself in liberal rhetoric 24 / 7 (most news / radio / tv is from Portland )

you like grey cold winters or grey wet winters?
Dry HOT summers or cool potentially wet summers?

Frequent Sunsets or frequent dark dreary nights

Prairie Dog or Mole?

Mtns / lakes / rural to your liking or urban / beach / river?
Quirky redneck bars or tattooed 'gothic' salad servers?
burgers and Bud light or Salmon and Micro brews?

Old 06-22-2011, 09:18 AM

Well I can definitely say I don't dig the redneck vibe, it's one of the main reasons I'm leaving the south.

I'm more of an urban type person, that would prefer rainy summers over dry, hot summers.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:19 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
upwardly mobile or clock puncher?

Old 06-22-2011, 03:00 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Vancouver is a conservative family area as well.

If you consider yourself more of an urbanist with a preference for rain, Seattle, Tacoma and Portland would provide that.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:01 PM

850 posts, read 3,717,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Vancouver is a conservative family area as well.

If you consider yourself more of an urbanist with a preference for rain, Seattle, Tacoma and Portland would provide that.
I agree. Neither Spokane nor Vancouver really seem to fit the bill for you. If you are liberal and like urban, Seattle and Portland are going to fit your needs more. If you want the rain and cooler summers, cut Spokane out (and the whole east side of the state for that matter).

If you're intent on living in Washington, you might be happy with Vancouver because of the close proximity to Portland. If you go that route, stick to west Vancouver and the downtown area. It is a bit cheaper than Portland, but you'll lose the advantages of living in downtown Portland (and it's really not that much more expensive in the long run.)

Old 06-22-2011, 08:36 PM

How much more expensive would it be to live in downtown portland?

Old 06-22-2011, 11:17 PM

850 posts, read 3,717,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WashingtonBound View Post
It depends on what you're looking for. If you want a brand new, modern 1 bedroom apartment in the Pearl District, it's going to cost you $900+. If you go for a studio or 1 bedroom in a historical type building, it's going to run from $650 to $750 for starters (I recommend Goose Hollow, PGE Park, 23rd District, some parts of Irvington, Belmont, and Hawthorne. The Pearl is great if you can afford it). But you can still live directly outside of downtown, still taking advantage of the Max lines (trimet.org), and you can get it for slightly cheaper.

Downtown Vancouver is also nice, but it's not really going to save you much money. Not far from downtown you hit suburbia...cheaper but won't offer what you want if you like urban.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:52 AM

287 posts, read 738,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Need to know a bit more info to advise you.

Both places lean a tad Right (by left-coast stds), definately they are far left from my previous location (CO / WY / NE).

Neither place will your vote count for any State or national elections (2-3 counties rule in OR and WA, 95% of each state (job creators) get no representation)

Portland being so close to Vancouver you can immerse yourself in liberal rhetoric 24 / 7 (most news / radio / tv is from Portland )

you like grey cold winters or grey wet winters?
Dry HOT summers or cool potentially wet summers?

Frequent Sunsets or frequent dark dreary nights

Prairie Dog or Mole?

Mtns / lakes / rural to your liking or urban / beach / river?
Quirky redneck bars or tattooed 'gothic' salad servers?
burgers and Bud light or Salmon and Micro brews?
Potentially wet summer in Seattle? Seattle averages near 1 inch of rain during any of the Summer month. Its NOT WET. It's DRY.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:02 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,713 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WashingtonBound View Post
Actually there are a lot of people living under bridges in Portland. It is not that bad,, river view, no taxes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Or3g0n View Post
Potentially wet summer in Seattle? Seattle averages near 1 inch of rain during any of the Summer month. Its NOT WET. It's DRY.
Have you spent much time in Spokane during summer?? How many yrs in Seattle for summer? From my 60 yr limited history, I would say Seattle has a far higher chance of being cool, dreary, & wet, in Summer; than does Spokane.

YMMV, (here on the we_tside, I was using my woodstove this week to chase off the cool, damp chill.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington