Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 10:47 AM

37 posts, read 320,775 times

Advertisements

I see the old thread on Bellingham but was wondering if anyone had any current information on Belligham? My husband and I are considering a relocation there for his job. We have an 8 month old son so obvioulsy being a family friendly place is important to us. We currently live in the Tri-Cites area and really enjoy but area always open to new experiences. Before the Tri-CIties we lived in Portland and from what information I see on Bellingham it reminds me a lot of Portland. How are the schools? Are there things to do for families there? What are the best neighboorhoods to live in? Etc. Looks like there are a lot of short sales and that the housing bubble must have burst there...is real estate still declining? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 09:04 AM

5 posts, read 8,732 times
I am on the Amtrak Cascades to Bellingham right at this very moment so I will let you know in a few hours.

:^P

Old 09-16-2011, 12:54 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,735,161 times
Alot of mid-high end homes are going short sale, low end places still have a good demand.
Not much has changed in the way of neighborhoods, just check out your cost of living before you commit.
There's jobs here for a reason, and it's because unless you want to live in a "file cabinet" apartment they don't pay the bills here.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:43 PM

Yeah, I don't get the Bellingham Rental Market. Maybe if all these short sales rented them out instead I would not have to look at $600 per month dumps. Really depressing.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:09 PM

37 posts, read 320,775 times
Thanks for the information. We've never been before, we are coming this week to check it out. I know cost of living will be higher than Tri-Cities. I really like where we are now so it would have to be the right thing for us to move for. We'll see after we check it out I guess.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:13 PM

Well, I have given up and I am leaving tomorrow. Too much of a college town for me and I could not find a place to rent.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:14 AM

46 posts, read 121,005 times
Quote:
Thanks for the information. We've never been before, we are coming this week to check it out. I know cost of living will be higher than Tri-Cities. I really like where we are now so it would have to be the right thing for us to move for. We'll see after we check it out I guess.
I know this post is late but have you considered Anacortes? It was rated best family place to live a while ago. I've been researching the area for some time and if it's not too far of a commute for your husband, this seems to be the best locataion that is near Bellingham - though it may be small town feel and not much to do except outdoor activites. If you see this post - please post what your thoughts were on Bellingham.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:27 PM

299 posts, read 1,153,362 times
Default Bellingham and surrounding area

Hope you fine people can provide some insight as to good places to live close to the Canadian border. Bellingham has been recommended.

We presently live in Angeles City, Philippines (I have for over 22 years) and will be moving to the US in 2014. Our two young adults are taking Pharmacy to earn their BS and then a PharmD degree.

We are considering moving the north western part of WA to be close to my wife's two sisters living in Vancouver Canada, to Camarillo CA or to Albuquerque NM.

Would you recommend the area for retirement for someone that will need to be close to a hospital later on.

Could you provide us with some info on the below and more:

1. Cost of Living - I'm retired from the Navy, disabled and drawing Social Security. We live on my income alone for the four of us, naturally that will change once the kids get their jobs and possibly move out.
2. VA Hospitals (VAMC) and local Hospitals - could you tell me about the commute and how good they are. VERY IMPORTANT
3. Jobs for Pharmacists, new ones.
4. Safe areas, I was in Law Enforcement and realize that all cities have crime and so not scared but the wife, being Filipina, is.
5. We are not big party people, really enjoy good neighbors and doing family things. My son naturally likes the party life a bit not that BIG. Daughter leans more to the friends without the party life.

Ok, may have asked for too much but sure hope you can HELP were you can.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:07 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
I've been tempted to respond to this thread, but I can't really answer most of these questions because either they don't apply to me, or I haven't lived here long enough to know myself. I live in the Fairhaven area, which is fantastic (although I may be moving downtown soon). I'd say Fairhaven would be an excellent place to raise a family, though it's also probably one of the most expensive areas of town. I moved here from middle TN and I've found groceries are a little more expensive, though some things are actually cheaper (bread, lettuce, milk, etc). Gas is definitely higher but I don't own a car so I don't pay much attention to it. I couldn't comment at all on the schools, VA hospitals, or pharmacist jobs because none of those are things that apply to me, so I have no knowledge in those areas. For me the cost of living is a little higher than middle TN, but not by much. However, depending on your lifestyle it may be considerably more expensive for you. As I said, gasoline is higher, and home prices are a LOT higher, so if you drive everywhere and simply must buy a house, then depending on where you move from you may find the cost of living significantly higher. Safe areas, again, it's hard for me to say because I've only lived in Fairhaven. This part of town seems perfectly safe to me, and while other areas are noticeably "rougher" I've never felt nervous anywhere in town.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:28 PM

299 posts, read 1,153,362 times
Lamplight, thanks for the fast reply. I looked up Fairhaven on the map, looks good and from what you say.... sounds good.
Guess I should have sent a bit more info. We, 4 adults, will be living on approx $5k a month (after tax) if that helps. We will have three (3) cars. Looking for a house/condo/apt to rent for the first year; 4br/2.5 or more ba, would like the M/br on the ground floor due to my disabilities. Right now we are paying the equivalent of $4.07 per gal for unleaded gas. Like you assessment of how "safe" Bellingham and especially Fairhaven is.

Thank you!

jOE
Angeles City,
Philippines
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington