Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 08:20 PM

39 posts, read 214,318 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have lived in central FL for the last 25 years. Every year, it seems the summers get hotter, more humid and longer. I am retiring in the next 18 months. I am looking at the Olympia area (Lacey and Tumwater), Anacortes or Sequim. The question I have of long-term residents concerns the cloudy/rainy days. What do people generally do in the winters to cope when I suppose the weather is the worst? The two times I've been to the Seattle area (both times in the summer), the weather has been nice. I really like Anacortes and I hear the Sequim area is not as rainy as Seattle. Does the extended periods of cloudiness and rain really do something to the psyche of a person living there? Do people in general really get depressed? Or is it a bit exaggerated? Thanks for any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 08:41 PM

1,684 posts, read 2,722,554 times
It depends on the person. Not everyone is affected and for many of us the effect is cumulative. When I first came here, I thought the winters were a breeze. Twenty years later the gray drags me down.

Most people I know who can afford it go somewhere sunny for vacation in winter. Many retirees spend the winter in Arizona.

People vary in what they do. Some hike all winter, some people stay in. In the more urban areas, people are out and about all winter walking. My experience in the burbs is that people go from their house to their car in winter and not many people out walking.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:09 PM

199 posts, read 1,517,077 times
This is a hugely personal question. I moved here from LA (but grew up in Hawaii) and although the first winter was an adjustment period, I learned to love the gray skies very quickly. It makes you appreciate the sunshine a lot more. Plus, I think the rain and gloom is way overrated, and I feel like most weeks go by you get sun peeking through the clouds (at least). And when the sun does come out, the beauty of the area is as beautiful as any paradise I have ever lived in.

However, there are those (many on this board) that lived here and gave it their best shot, and swear the weather causes or contributes to their depression or SAD. I used to think this was a crock, but now I think its just a very personal thing. Some people just need the sunshine. Only you know, and you'll only know after spending your first winter here.

For most of the population, the rain does not stop their day to day activities (not the people I know, anyway). We get out, walk to the work, walk our dogs, hike, even camp in the rain. It adds to the adventure!

Old 08-21-2007, 02:23 PM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,896,269 times
YankeeFan, you've gotten some very good advice from mayfair and bmsea, and I'm sure others here will have comments which will be helpful as well. We just retired and moved from Orlando to Poulsbo (Kitsap Peninsula), so I can't advise on coping with the winter weather yet. We lived in Orlando for 15 years, so this is a big change for us and it will be for you too. We are very happy with our decision to move from central FL and with the town we chose. We looked at Sequim, but didn't care for it--we really liked Anacortes though. We wanted to be closer to Seattle where we have family, and Poulsbo is a perfect fit for us. After a winter or two, we'll probably be ready for a February visit to the other side of the family who live in the Phoenix area!

Good luck with your transition from central FL to western WA. It's not an easy move, but well worth it!

Lynn

Old 08-21-2007, 02:48 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,720,299 times
Be careful - you are from a warm sunny place

I came from warm and sunny Calif

It's been very hard on me - the cloudy days and cold weather are 10 months of the year - not just winter time. I get really upset around May when it's still in the 50s and cloudy...because by then in my old town we would have had beautiful spring weather for three months!

But maybe if you are retiring it will be better...

Old 08-21-2007, 03:23 PM

307 posts, read 1,423,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
Be careful - you are from a warm sunny place

I came from warm and sunny Calif

It's been very hard on me - the cloudy days and cold weather are 10 months of the year - not just winter time. I get really upset around May when it's still in the 50s and cloudy...because by then in my old town we would have had beautiful spring weather for three months!

But maybe if you are retiring it will be better...
Wow....10 months of cold and clouds....that hasn't been my experience. I guess it depends on what you consider "cold" weather. I would say there are about 3-4 months of summery weather with sun coming out most days, temps of 65-75, and only scattered showers.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:54 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,720,299 times
Spring is 65 to 75 degrees

Summer is 75 to 95 degrees

I'm confortable in the 80s and tolerate 100s

As you see - in my world it's not very warm here

Old 08-21-2007, 05:04 PM

307 posts, read 1,423,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
Spring is 65 to 75 degrees

Summer is 75 to 95 degrees

I'm confortable in the 80s and tolerate 100s

As you see - in my world it's not very warm here
If you prefer 85-100+ degree weather then I can see how WA would not be your cup of tea. Where I live in SoCal it is 90-100+ all Summer and I can't stand it. I find the heat oppressive and I opt to stay inside in the air conditioning....so I guess it just depends of your personal preferences. Fall and Winter here we are lucky enough that temps drop to 50-65 degrees, so I can actually go outside and be comfortable.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:32 PM

355 posts, read 991,700 times
Well, I lived in South FL for 15 years and I never minded the summers...yes, it gets hot but I lived close to the ocean so there was always a breeze. In fact I loved the summers...no "snowbirds". But I have, also, lived in Missouri and Oklahoma...talk about miserable and I do mean Miserable summers....hot, hot, hot, and no ocean breeze. Had a pool in S FL used it all the time....had a pool in OK...too hot outside to use it!!... go figure. Anyway, what is the fall like in WA? That is my absolute favorite time of the year. I was raised in PA..the fall is gorgeous in that part of the country.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:50 PM

39 posts, read 214,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsmom View Post
Well, I lived in South FL for 15 years and I never minded the summers...yes, it gets hot but I lived close to the ocean so there was always a breeze. In fact I loved the summers...no "snowbirds". But I have, also, lived in Missouri and Oklahoma...talk about miserable and I do mean Miserable summers....hot, hot, hot, and no ocean breeze. Had a pool in S FL used it all the time....had a pool in OK...too hot outside to use it!!... go figure. Anyway, what is the fall like in WA? That is my absolute favorite time of the year. I was raised in PA..the fall is gorgeous in that part of the country.
Well, I can tell you that we almost never get any kind of breeze here. Too inland. After so many years of living where I have to, I'm looking forward to living where I want to. So far, WA is extremely high on my list. As long as I can get a decent condo/townhouse for under $350K. Thanks to all who have responded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington