Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 01:14 PM

40 posts, read 134,879 times

Advertisements

I hope to have enough time to visit the Columbia Gorge area... do you like Camas and Washougal?

Here is another question... any opinion of the best areas to live that are politically "moderate?" I know that both Seattle (and suburbs) plus Portland is very liberal, and Vancouver and Spokane are very conservative... but is there anywhere that is a "happy medium?" I am not a social conservative, but I do tend to agree with the GOP many times more often than the Democrats, even though I am tired of the two-party system. Where I live now is "too conservative" for my taste and I still don't know why, but it seems like so many places that are around the country (that either have more military or conservative views socially), I seem to notice that their populations usually sport more tattoos!
Thanks for any other input... I just didn't want to upset anyone politically on this thread or have anyone argue about politics! ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 02:09 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiwanhellokitty View Post
I hope to have enough time to visit the Columbia Gorge area... do you like Camas and Washougal?
Camas, especially the downtown core, is such a cute little town. Washougal doesn't have that charm and is even smaller/more rural-- so unless that's what you're looking for, it might be too boring and remote for you.

Quote:
Here is another question... any opinion of the best areas to live that are politically "moderate?" I know that both Seattle (and suburbs) plus Portland is very liberal, and Vancouver and Spokane are very conservative... but is there anywhere that is a "happy medium?" I am not a social conservative, but I do tend to agree with the GOP many times more often than the Democrats, even though I am tired of the two-party system. Where I live now is "too conservative" for my taste and I still don't know why, but it seems like so many places that are around the country (that either have more military or conservative views socially), I seem to notice that their populations usually sport more tattoos!
Thanks for any other input... I just didn't want to upset anyone politically on this thread or have anyone argue about politics! ;-)
Honestly... you have to realize the political environment here is much different from East Coast. People in WA generally aren't in-your-face about politics, generally they keep it to themselves. And quite frankly, despite some ideology/mentality-- you may come to find that neither Spokane nor Vancouver itself are that Conservative.

If you're tired of the two-party system, then I don't know how WA is going to be any better when it's basically a one-party state and it lies with the D. If you choose to live outside the Seattle metro, you will often hear of how the 3 counties (King, Pierce and Snohomish) dominate state politics. [OR basically has the same set-up.] Vancouver and Spokane don't have as much of a pull, despite their big population centers.

I'm not sure if you have something against tattoos... but you'll definitely see a lot of them around in Portland and Seattle metros.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:35 PM

Well, I just don't know why people would bother getting tattoos, and it seems like it the past 5-10 years I've noticed that it's been an explosion! I just never saw the appeal of them, not to offend anyone on this thread that has them! ;-)

I like the fact that politics are not so much "in your face" there and it sounds like that it is "live and let live" attitude.

It just also seems like EVERYONE has kids and if you are not in a "mommy group" you really have a hard time fitting in, even if you are dating someone (but are not married)! Not that I have anything against kids or parents, but it seems like so very few people are into anything else (outside interests/hobbies) than raising families. I've lived here now 6 years and still feel like I have not felt my niche... another reason which I would like to make a move!

Old 05-30-2012, 07:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Clark County (Vancouver / Camas / Washougal) is mildly GOP (which doesn't matter in the BIG votes, as 3 counties in WA and 3 in Oregon dictate each state goes liberal).

You should have not trouble politically OR socially in WA. Oregon on the other hand is very insistent that you think as THEY think. You just don't bring polarized discussions up while visiting in OR.

There are people (left and right) covered in tatoos, You just have to let them be and express their own 'art'. It's Not imposing. Portland has lots of 'GOTH' youth.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:25 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,651,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWbyNW View Post

If you don't like rain, gloomy weather, or more snow, throw Bellingham out immediately. Bellingham gets a ton of rain, and they are the cloudiest city in the United State. The city is also quite windy year round. .
Let's dispel a few myths first of all. Shall we? Honestly, having lived in Bham for many years now, as a Seattle native, I can tell you, the weather really isn't all that different temperature wise. Cloudy more? Maybe, but certainly not more rain than Seattle. As to the wind, I'd suggest you need to show some facts.

Precipitation Annual

Bellingham 35.36
Monthly Climate Data for Bellingham Washington - Average Temperature and Precipitation

Seattle 44.1
Monthly Climate Data for Seattle Tacoma - Average Temperature and Precipitation

Vancouver 39.33
Monthly Climate Data for Vancouver Washington - Average Temperature and Precipitation

Spokane 17.62
Monthly Climate Data for Spokane Washington - Average Temperature and Precipitation

Old 06-01-2012, 11:34 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
I thought Bellingham got less rain than Seattle, but I didn't know the difference was that much.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:12 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I thought Bellingham got less rain than Seattle, but I didn't know the difference was that much.
Seattle is 37.1" a year... the source Bill Loney put in states 38.2" (he looked at the wrong number and inserted that in his post).

so yes, Bellingham gets less either way.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:05 PM

I'm also in my mid-30s, single, but don't drink (due to minor health reasons). I don't mind people with pets, just don't have any myself... so that is a factor as well that I might not have mentioned before on where to live eventually (and move from the East). I don't mind cloudy days... prefer them to humidity and blinding sun and having to wear sunscreen all the time in the summer! ;-) Thanks!

Old 06-01-2012, 01:25 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Seattle is 37.1" a year... the source Bill Loney put in states 38.2" (he looked at the wrong number and inserted that in his post).

so yes, Bellingham gets less either way.
Actually I looked at the wrong number too, even after opening the link. Still less, but not a huge difference.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
and don't forget the HUGE variability within the regions (especially SW WA) There are places within 20 minutes of Vancouver, WA that get over 100"/yr.

Bellingham probably is more differentiated via temps. I find it cooler than Vancouver, WA due to coastal proximity (offshore breezes on the few 100+F days), and it can get a few more colder spells in winter than Seattle, just due to Latitude/ topography.

Quote:
I'm also in my mid-30s, single, but don't drink... I don't mind people with pets, just don't have any myself... ...I don't mind cloudy days... !

Stick with the we_tside choices (Bellingham and Vancouver, WA). I think you will be very satisfied with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington