Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 08:41 AM

26 posts, read 155,341 times

Advertisements

Moving to WA. always sounds good. however the gray sky, that last for months at a time are really hard on some folks. The weather in Centrailia area is a bit different than Seattle, so be carefull about the weather information. Seattle has a convergent zone which cuases very inconsistant weather forecast...lol...

As far as the local area of Centrailia and Chehalis goes, A pretty nice area but jobs are scarce, at least higher paying one. They just shut dobw a big mine in the area and have flooded the market with job seekers.

I lived in the Grand Mound area for over three years and it was practically impossible to find a "living wage job". In the Olympia area, about 30 minutes north, where the capital is there are only state jobs. Not much else for good paying work.

However the housing market in Thurston and Lewis county is week right now, plenty of inventory to pick from.

If you want to know alot about an area I recommend calling the realtors in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 10:36 PM

48 posts, read 158,992 times
I had a rough time in Everett, WA. Couldn't find work, contracted seasonal affective disorder, had a video camera stolen, had a bad landlady. Otherwise, most of Washington is beautiful, and if you have dogs, they have some of the best dog parks (with trails) going. The Puget Sound is also really amazing.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:27 AM

6 posts, read 19,772 times
Thank you all for your info so far, very helpful

Old 09-26-2007, 10:04 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
I noticed you're from Rolla. I'm very familiar with that area as I have family there. Just be prepared for some adjustments and culture shock. Things move quickly here---fast-paced as compared to Rolla. You'll need to get used to traffic, unlike now where you have alot of that I-44 highway to yourself. The drivers here are very aggressive. People are a bit different---not as outgoing at first, a bit guarded and it may take a bit longer to make friends. Also be prepared for sticker shock in everything from your groceries, housing, utilities, car insurance, car registration etc. This is not SW MO. ANd finally, rain and clouds sound wonderful until you are dealing with them for about 9 months out of the year.

That being said, (it's wise to know what you're in for) do alot of research and maybe come up to visit once before moving. Washington is one of the most beautiful states you will see. Gorgeous mountains, the ocean, green, trees, lovely hiking, wineries, just simply incredible. You need to get on the road a few hours to get to some of these places, but that's what weekends are for.

Happy Trails
Cobolt

Old 10-22-2007, 10:19 PM

473 posts, read 1,702,591 times
I'm in the San Francisco Bay area and am looking for a much slower pace of life, with little or no traffic congestion, no long check out lines and a more affordable area perhaps where the quality of life might be even better at a lower cost. I'm curious to know the neighborhoods just south very close to the Canadian Border and areas like Custer and Whatcom County. From what I can see from the satellite maps is that these homes are very well apart and separated by trees. Lots of privacy and space. Does anyone here know if this area is a good area as far as crime goes and the prices of the homes there?
How is life there different than living in the San Francisco Bay area? What are the trade offs between the two different locations?
I understand that the State of Washington has no State income tax but has a very high property tax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington