Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 10:24 PM

65 posts, read 168,944 times

Advertisements

I've moved all over the country and I consider myself a gypsy. I just moved to Louisville, KY from Fort Wayne, IN, making it my 9th state to live in. Some states I've moved back too numerous times. As soon as my daughter graduates in one to two plus years, I'd like to move to Washington state. I am looking for some city that is diverse without being dangerous and that's affordable meaning, rent isn't $2,000 for a one-two bedroom.

I need to find a place that meets my health needs. The cold is too hard on my joints and back. The Louisville weather causes me to have chronic bronchitis and asthma especially in the summer. This area is known for high allergies/breathing problems. I do swell from rain occasionally but I'm willing to deal with it. Also, my daughter if I can convince her to move with me would need a good college for grad school. She is still conflicted as to what she will be so sorry, nothing I can say about that.

What would work for us? I have a cousin who I don't really know that lives in Tacoma. I've never been out to Washington state before. I just always wanted to live out there and I know it'll take some time before I can move out there. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 11:31 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
How do you define diversity? % non white, a wide range of ethnicities, countries of origin, languages spoken - or hippies living next to CEO's?

Old 02-09-2015, 08:47 AM

I am multiracial. My daughter too is half Irish but looks white only. I'd like a place where there's a mix of all races and cultures. That's where I feel the most comfortable. For me being comfortable means not having to explain who/what you are everywhere you go or recieve prejudices for being who/what you are.

Also being an artist, a thriving art community would be wonderful.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:14 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Seattle has a pretty corporate vibe. Have you considered Portland?

Old 02-09-2015, 12:26 PM

I thought Portland was more expensive than Seattle was, right?

Old 02-09-2015, 12:48 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leasmom View Post
I thought Portland was more expensive than Seattle was, right?
No, Portland is less expensive than Seattle. It is also near a very charming town on the water called Astoria.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:13 PM

LOL. We'll I've never been to either one. So I don't know much. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:38 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Tacoma.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:47 PM

I thought about Tacoma. I think the rent is about the same as here in Louisville, KY right from what I've seen. I don't know much else about it except that it's close to Seattle.

I've lived in New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Montana and I did like all but Colorado, sorry, but I didn't like it. My sister still lives there now and I do have a cousin who is very young who lives in Albuquerque. I went to school in Santa Fe years and years ago. I have a cousin that also lives in Montana. I like the Northwest area because it has milder weather. It's not as extreme as Kentucky and further down south in places I've lived and visited nor Colorado which can get up to 120 plus degrees in the summer or Phoenix, AZ which is like 90 degrees at 3 am in the morning. I just need to find the right fit and hopefully drag my daughter will me.

If not, moving back to New Mexico could be nice but a little limiting as an artist because the artistic styles are nearly set in stone. But, I could adapt. I did love it there. But, if Tacoma, or Portland, OR or some other place would work better, I'd prefer that as my first choice.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Vancouver / Camas WA.

10 - 30 min to 20+ colleges (including Portland offerings)
Art centric area
Variety of employment and housing
reasonably decent public transit for small metro (great in Portland / express buses to Portland hubs).

Do some research on your specific breathing issues. Pollen / molds in PNW can be significant barrier.

NM might be better choice for your health. +/-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington