Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 01:14 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Don't such people BELONG in Arizona. I was prepared to offer a tiny ray of hope that the people leaving in droves were the people who LEAST liked the "culture" of California, and they head north because someone made them believe that good neighbors are better than eternal sunshine. I hope I'm not wrong. I hope the people who voted Prop 13 and voted Reagan aren't the ones going. They BELONG down there in The Valley and Simi County. It is the product of their own hands.
Well, consider this...

The San Gabriel and San Fernando Valleys were the prototypical white, middle-to-upper-middle class suburbs in the 80's that were mocked and reviled universally, all across the US as cultureless voids of uncool, moral majority Reagan voters.

Fast forward to now... mention the San Gabriel Valley to anyone in LA, and the first thing that will pop in their mind is "Chinese food." The area is heavily Asian and Hispanic, as is the San Fernando Valley; the latter having a very heavy dose of Iranians and Armenians as well. Orange County has retained more of its "whiteness" in more areas like Newport or Huntington Beach, but Westminster is majority Asian (mostly Vietnamese), Santa Ana is 78% Hispanic and 10% Asian, Anaheim (home of Disneyland) is 53% Hispanic and 15% Asian, Fullerton is 34% Hispanic, 23% Asian, and 16% "Other," and even Irvine, which has come to embody most of the "ohmigaaaawd" Valley Girl stereotypes is damn near 40% Asian... white people are 45% of Irvine's population, down from 84% in 1980.

On the whole, Orange County is actually a minority-majority county, with non-hispanic white people making up 44% of the population. "Minority-majority" sounds a lot like "hopeless tailspin of sin, vice and wasteful spending" to a lot of the people we're discussing.

All those white conservatives had to go somewhere. I'd guess that most of them made it to Nevada when it was booming, or to Arizona. Some stayed in CA but headed east into Riverside County, but Riverside county is now 45% Hispanic, too.

Among people who are really, really concerned with all these demographic shifts, Arizona gets a lot of support because of Good-Ol' Mexican-Hatin' Sherriff Joe and Governor Jan "There's Nothing Racist About Asking Someone Who Looks Illegal For Their Papers" Brewer. Even though Texas is jam-packed with Latinos and also has sizable black, Pakistani, and Vietnamese populations (among others), it's still heavily conservative, heavily white, and has stand your ground/make my day laws that appeal to people who are paranoid and feel emasculated. Same goes for Florida. These states are seen as more "tax friendly" despite the fact that sales tax in Texas, for example, is only minutely lower than most parts of CA and the lack of income tax is offset by consistently-lower pay across the board.

Much of my family is in WA, but the ones who aren't and err on the conservative side know by heart that WA is a no-income tax state, has a solid white majority, and is lax on firearms restrictions, which they view as "good;" however, the fact that the populated areas are heavily-liberal and this is the prevailing influence on state politics freaks them out and is "bad." WA is marginally better in their minds than California, which is hands-down the most evil state in the union, but not quite as good as Texas, Arizona, or Florida. Alaska is another popular choice.

Quote:
Random question: Is a "Drove" bigger or smaller than a Hummer?
It's a daisy-chain of Hummers linked together with Excursions and flanked by middle-aged doctors on Harleys and young libertarians on dirtbikes and quads

Old 12-23-2012, 02:14 AM

21,544 posts, read 8,727,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
And it must be said that the ones who are leaving in droves tend to be the ones who voted for Reagan or Schwartzy because they wake up, look out the window at the clear California skies, start shedding tears because of taxes, let out a bawl because they think they hear someone speaking Spanish off in the distance and go on a diatribe about taxes and how the state is "overrun with illegals," walk by some tofu in the store and start grumbling about taxes and vegans ruining our schools, see a guy with perfect posture and a scarf and groan taces and about gays having ruined their marriage...

They know that somewhere out there, there's a place where latinos look fearful and nervous when they see a real American walking down the street because he might ask to see their papers, the stores don't carry tofu because everyone just laughs at it and would never touch the foul slop, vegans are mocked and jeered at and are occasionally chased down and forced to eat cheesburgers, and gays stay well in the closet where they belong, cutting hair and feeling ashamed for their choices... when the wife finds out that they've been burning the midnight oil with Tammy from accounts payable, she sucks it up and accepts it because that's what a good woman does for her husband and children... and taxes? None. At all. Ever. For anything.

Well, have fun with them!

Seriously though, you'll be happy to hear that most of the people I've encountered here in CA who are endlessly harping on how badly they need to vacate this hopeless, evil cesspit of a state have their sights set on Arizona, Texas, or Florida. Washington is generally thought of as just being Seattle, which is like San Francisco with less gays and more pot smokers.
Great post, but what are "groan taces?"

Old 12-23-2012, 03:45 AM

5,485 posts, read 3,929,244 times
Quote:
And it must be said that the ones who are leaving in droves tend to be the ones who voted for Reagan or Schwartzy because they wake up, look out the window at the clear California skies, start shedding tears because of taxes, let out a bawl because they think they hear someone speaking Spanish off in the distance and go on a diatribe about taxes and how the state is "overrun with illegals," walk by some tofu in the store and start grumbling about taxes and vegans ruining our schools, see a guy with perfect posture and a scarf and groan taces and about gays having ruined their marriage...

They know that somewhere out there, there's a place where latinos look fearful and nervous when they see a real American walking down the street because he might ask to see their papers, the stores don't carry tofu because everyone just laughs at it and would never touch the foul slop, vegans are mocked and jeered at and are occasionally chased down and forced to eat cheesburgers, and gays stay well in the closet where they belong, cutting hair and feeling ashamed for their choices... when the wife finds out that they've been burning the midnight oil with Tammy from accounts payable, she sucks it up and accepts it because that's what a good woman does for her husband and children... and taxes? None. At all. Ever. For anything.

Well, have fun with them!

Seriously though, you'll be happy to hear that most of the people I've encountered here in CA who are endlessly harping on how badly they need to vacate this hopeless, evil cesspit of a state have their sights set on Arizona, Texas, or Florida. Washington is generally thought of as just being Seattle, which is like San Francisco with less gays and more pot smokers.
terrific post

Old 12-23-2012, 03:46 AM

5,485 posts, read 3,929,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Great post, but what are "groan taces?"
C is located next to X on the keyboard. Groan is meant as a verb there, not an adjective

Old 12-23-2012, 05:47 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
C is located next to X on the keyboard. Groan is meant as a verb there, not an adjective
Yup good call. Meant to say "groan about taxes." I was probably wrestling with my pet parrot at that point and went one-handed.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:23 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
yeh thats what they ALL say

Old 12-23-2012, 07:29 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,478,798 times
Aha! The Reagan voters are in full flight from all those "foreigners". In which case, Arizona is hardly the place. Maybe Colorado, Utah, or Idaho? Maybe they've got misinformation about Oregon and Washington.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:30 AM

297 posts, read 1,035,280 times
Quote:
That was my experience as well when I lived in California. The conservative white baby boomers are not heading to the Seattle area. Seattle gets transplants like Angelenogirl who are more progressive and open minded.

The article from the OP also says plenty of people are still moving TO California:

"Although in smaller numbers, others are still relocating to the Golden State. Texans make up the largest number of new California residents with 37,387 people, according to the report. That is followed by people from Washington (36,481), Nevada (36,159), Arizona (35,650), and New York (25,269)."

Old 12-23-2012, 10:11 PM

56 posts, read 204,010 times
Now we'll have drivers who'll go faster than 55 and know how to merge.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:52 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Don't such people BELONG in Arizona. I was prepared to offer a tiny ray of hope that the people leaving in droves were the people who LEAST liked the "culture" of California, and they head north because someone made them believe that good neighbors are better than eternal sunshine. I hope I'm not wrong. I hope the people who voted Prop 13 and voted Reagan aren't the ones going. They BELONG down there in The Valley and Simi County. It is the product of their own hands.

Random question: Is a "Drove" bigger or smaller than a Hummer?
They would have to be in or near retirement age if they voted for Reagan and or Prop 13.

Reagan became governor 45 years ago in 1967

Prop 13 became law in 1978.

Prior to March 4, 1972, the age of majority in California was 21... so a person that voted for Reagan in 1967 would be at least 66 years old at a minimum...

So, I wouldn't be worried unless Washingtonians fear an onslaught of septuagenarians heading north...

That said... most of the people I have met in Washington have ties to California... even if the tie goes back decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington