Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 04:55 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times

Advertisements

The only time derogatory remarks were directed at me has been in Oregon on the way to Washington and it was my error.

Both times I attempted to self pump gas for my car... the first time I wasn't aware it was even a problem... the attendant cussed a blue streak calling Californians every name in the book.

A few years later, it had just slipped my mind and the attendant made a comment about stupid Californians.

Since then I find it better to not buy gas in Oregon... I will top off in Yreka and be good all the way to Washington.

As I said, it was my fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 10:29 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The only time derogatory remarks were directed at me has been in Oregon on the way to Washington and it was my error.

Both times I attempted to self pump gas for my car... the first time I wasn't aware it was even a problem... the attendant cussed a blue streak calling Californians every name in the book.

A few years later, it had just slipped my mind and the attendant made a comment about stupid Californians.

Since then I find it better to not buy gas in Oregon... I will top off in Yreka and be good all the way to Washington.

As I said, it was my fault.
That happened to my dad in Oregon. So you forgot. You're not used to having to remember. Why does that excuse some a s s h o l e being rude? So if I see someone make an honest mistake I have every right to treat them like crap? Come on Ultra.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:32 AM

118 posts, read 208,292 times
the californian plates was all the excuse he needed. The thing that is truly reviled about californians is the plastic culture they bring with them.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:10 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-rev View Post
the californian plates was all the excuse he needed. The thing that is truly reviled about californians is the plastic culture they bring with them.
Baloney.
The "plastic culture" is the very thing most California transplants are moving away from.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:13 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Don't know what to make of Plastic Culture?

After my experiences... I just avoid buying gas in Oregon... just drive straight through to Washington.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 02-24-2013 at 11:58 AM..

Old 02-24-2013, 10:48 AM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-rev View Post
This is just your opinion and based on absolutely NO facts. You might want to preface your comments with "in my opinion" next time because you're beginning to look like a troll.

I've spent a great deal of time in Oregon and have had no problems. The people that I've met there are very nice but I'm sure there are nasty ones, too. Just like everywhere.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:20 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
Baloney.
The "plastic culture" is the very thing most California transplants are moving away from.
Yeah. Too bad they insist on bringing it with them while they are "moving away from" it.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:22 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
Baloney.
^this

Old 02-26-2013, 12:21 PM

510 posts, read 889,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Yeah. Too bad they insist on bringing it with them while they are "moving away from" it.
For the area I live in, this tends to be the case. But for the most part any group would bring something with it. Most of the transplants I've encountered from CA moved here because of lower land/building prices and lower taxes. Many say that CA is just too expensive for them to retire in.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:18 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,553,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
That is a common topic of discussion in numerous CD forums. It is a fact that transplants often bring with them exactly what they are running away from. I guess people never see themselves as part of the problem. They also do a good job at the polls by voting to make their new state exactly like their old state. Many simply can't connect the dots. They complain about high taxes and cost of living in their old state, but then vote to add all of the things that made their old state have high taxes and a high cost of living. They can't connect the dots between what they vote for and what they pay in taxes, groceries, etc.

I'll be a WA transplant in a few months. I think animosity towards transplants is something more likely to be read about than actually experienced, but I can understand animosity. I get it. When you live in a place that is just right for you, it's simple human nature to not want it to change, and not want others to come in from somewhere else and try to change it. You can't stop change, but it doesn't mean you have to like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington