Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 11:12 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times

Advertisements

If you like Mtns, then be sure and spend some time in Olympics, and also the North Cascades Highway. Do an overnight in Leavenworth or, cheaper in Wenatchee or Cashmere (You can drive / bus to Leavenworth (certainly worth a day or afternoon). Chelan, Stehekin ferry? Lady of the Lake, Lake Chelan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 12:19 PM

43 posts, read 85,144 times
I'm considering speding a night/day in Leavenworth, then taking a river raft trip on the Wenatchee River. We go river rafting every summer in Colorado, so this would be enjoyable. I also like the boat trip on Lake Chelan.

Also, I'm still unclear on the San Juan Islands kayaking activities. Apparently, there are more than just one island that offers kayaking tours. Which island would you recommend and why? If we're staying in Seattle, can I drive to the Anacortes ferry terminal, walk on, and get to the selected island for the kayaking trip all in the am? Would I want to stay overnight on one of the islands?

Lastly, I still don't have a feel for the time needed to see some of the Olympic Pennisula. I'd like to visit the Hoh Rainforest, some beaches with tidepools, etc., Hurricane Ridge. What else is a must see? What towns might I spend a night in?

Thanks!

Old 06-10-2013, 07:26 PM

136 posts, read 244,628 times
When in that area I would spend the night in Port Townsend. It is a beautiful 19th century town in the north east corner of the Olympic Peninsula. It is one of my favorite small towns in Washington.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
An alternative to conventional lodging near Port Townsend

Accommodations at Fort Worden State Park

other fun lodging options... fire lookout towers

Region 6 - Recreation

Old 06-12-2013, 11:34 AM

492 posts, read 1,041,916 times
It's possible to get a San Juan island and back in one long day. Check the ferry schedule and get to the dock an hour early.

Olympic NP is a two day event. You could stay in Port Angeles after seeing Hurricane Ridge. Sol Doc Hot Springs is not a must see but there is a nice waterfall there, a short walk from the parking lot. The springs pools are nice too. The other thing to see, but not a must see, is the Quinault Lodge area. That's about it. The interior of Olympic NP is wilderness.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:12 AM

6,227 posts, read 3,411,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalhop View Post
It's possible to get a San Juan island and back in one long day. Check the ferry schedule and get to the dock an hour early.

Olympic NP is a two day event. You could stay in Port Angeles after seeing Hurricane Ridge. Sol Doc Hot Springs is not a must see but there is a nice waterfall there, a short walk from the parking lot. The springs pools are nice too. The other thing to see, but not a must see, is the Quinault Lodge area. That's about it. The interior of Olympic NP is wilderness.
Interesting but you overlook such places as Cape Flattery which is the most Northwest point in the Continental US. Hoh rainforest, Crescent Lake and Marymere falls, Salt Creek tidal pools, Dungeness spit and lighthouse trail, Olympic Game farm just outside of Sequim which in July has one of the biggest festivals in Washington called the Sequim Lavender Festival, Ocean Shores area, Hoodsport and Lake Cushman area, just to name a few. Driving around the Peninsula on highway 101 most of the above can be seen with with little or no effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington