Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 03:53 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,210,897 times

Advertisements

This September my husband and I are planning a trip to Washington. Sometime after the schools are back in session. I need a little help with ideas.
We live in Oregon. We will be towing our 27' Travel Trailer. So, that may be a factor when visiting some of the islands around the Puget Sound. We'll be staying in campgrounds, NOT RV parks. The exception may be Portland, where we might stay at Jantzen or Columbia RV park, for convenience while visiting friends.
After Portland, we want to travel as far north as Mt. Vernon area, where it looks like we can travel by road to Whidbey Island. What should we stop and see along the way? Which are nice campgrounds? I have a cousin in Kirkland, so we'll need to find a campground near there for a nite. We want to spend at least a day in Seattle. We're open for any suggestions.
Not sure if we'll be able to travel to the San Juans with the trailer. But, we would like to see the southern islands, Bainbridge, Vachon.....
We might do one or two ferries, if they don't cost too much with the trailer. We'd like to spend a week in the Puget Sound area. Then make a trip to the Olympic Penninsula for a few days, maybe camping at Sequim??
I look at the map and try to find a route that doesn't include too much backtracking, but I keep changing my mind.
We're looking for campgrounds with water/electric. We also have a large dog.

So...any advice??
Thanks, Kate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 09:03 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,028,196 times
I'm not sure what your time frame is as I don't think you mentioned it. However, you've listed a lot of places to see.

My advice would be to skip Vashon, Bainbridge, and Whidbey Islands unless you have gobs of time and are not on any kind of a schedule as there is not a lot of sightseeing activites on those islands. A trip to the San Juans would definitely be worth planning for, however. What I would suggest is that you choose a base camp in Anacortes (itself on an island, Fidalgo Island) where the ferry to the San Juans is based. Then take several day trips with the truck to the San Juans as the ferry fares for RVs are quite expensive and not as much for passenger cars and pickups.

There are lots of RV resorts and campgrounds in the Anacortes area as many RVers use it for a base to visit not only the San Juans but Deception Pass, Chuckanut Drive, North Cascades, etc.

And the northern Olympic Peninsula is a good plan too ...Port Townsend, Sequim, and Port Angeles ...and Olympic National Park (Hoh Rainforest, Hurricane Ridge, etc.)

So base camp in Anacortes to see the sights mentioned above. And base camp in Sequim to see the sights on the northern part of the Olympic Peninsula. That should take in a month of more worth of good sightseeing.

As for campgrounds, my suggestion would be to use the state park system. Some you can boondock and some have partial utilities ...usually limited electricity and water --and a community dump station. My understanding is that you do not need a Discover Pass to camp in State Parks as your fee stub will suffice but if you are visiting for a day, you will need one.

To visit relatives in Kirkland, I'd almost suggest you use an RV park but if you do want to use a state park (click here for a map of locations), the closest to Kirkland would be Wallace Falls State Park but to my knowledge there is no RV camping there, Saltwater State Park --Des Moines (click here), Dash Point State Park --Federal Way (click here), Kanasket State Park --Enumclaw/Ravensdale (click here).

If you need further information on anything I've suggested, let me know. I'm an RVer but have not used all the state parks in Washington but have used some and am familiar with many of the RV parks too.

Others will hopefully chime in to give better suggestions as I am not the best one on this forum to give advice.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopskooper View Post
I'm not sure what your time frame is as I don't think you mentioned it. However, you've listed a lot of places to see.

My advice would be to skip Vashon, Bainbridge, and Whidbey Islands unless you have gobs of time and are not on any kind of a schedule as there is not a lot of sightseeing activites on those islands. A trip to the San Juans would definitely be worth planning for, however. What I would suggest is that you choose a base camp in Anacortes (itself on an island, Fidalgo Island) where the ferry to the San Juans is based. Then take several day trips with the truck to the San Juans as the ferry fares for RVs are quite expensive and not as much for passenger cars and pickups.

There are lots of RV resorts and campgrounds in the Anacortes area as many RVers use it for a base to visit not only the San Juans but Deception Pass, Chuckanut Drive, North Cascades, etc.

And the northern Olympic Peninsula is a good plan too ...Port Townsend, Sequim, and Port Angeles ...and Olympic National Park (Hoh Rainforest, Hurricane Ridge, etc.)

So base camp in Anacortes to see the sights mentioned above. And base camp in Sequim to see the sights on the northern part of the Olympic Peninsula. That should take in a month of more worth of good sightseeing.

As for campgrounds, my suggestion would be to use the state park system. Some you can boondock and some have partial utilities ...usually limited electricity and water --and a community dump station. My understanding is that you do not need a Discover Pass to camp in State Parks as your fee stub will suffice but if you are visiting for a day, you will need one.

To visit relatives in Kirkland, I'd almost suggest you use an RV park but if you do want to use a state park (click here for a map of locations), the closest to Kirkland would be Wallace Falls State Park but to my knowledge there is no RV camping there, Saltwater State Park --Des Moines (click here), Dash Point State Park --Federal Way (click here), Kanasket State Park --Enumclaw/Ravensdale (click here).

If you need further information on anything I've suggested, let me know. I'm an RVer but have not used all the state parks in Washington but have used some and am familiar with many of the RV parks too.

Others will hopefully chime in to give better suggestions as I am not the best one on this forum to give advice.
Thanks for the response, Poopskooper!
We are planning on a total of two weeks. But, only about a week in the Sound. I figured we wouldn't have time to do the San Juans and the others. As I'm typing this, I'm thinking we need to skip the Oregon Coast and spend a few more days in that area. We originally intended to come home via the coast but we can go there anytime.
I kind of had my heart set on driving thru Whidbey and some of the other Islands. But, I like the idea of staying at Anacortes for a few days and leaving the TT there while checking out the San Juans. I'll check into that.
This won't be our only trip, just our first. So, we don't need to see everything, but get a feel for where we might want to spend more time...next time. We've only had our TT for two years and have been having a blast!!
We've stayed at lots of Oregon State Parks and love them. So, we're hoping to check out the Wa. SP system. Have you stayed at any of the RV Parks in Portland? I think I mentioned two above. We have a big dog. Lots of RV Parks have dog restrictions on size. We've only stayed in one once. Didn't care for it. But, I'm sure there are many great RV parks, too.
Again....thank you! I'll be asking more questions, I'm sure!!

Old 07-22-2013, 10:56 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,771 times
Whidbey is worth a visit.

Deception Pass is someplace that you should definitely see, especially the north side of the bridge around Bowman Bay. The Bowman Bay area is much more attractive than the south side of the bridge. Ebey's Landing and Ebey Prairie are both worth a stop as well. Fort Casey is a very interesting site with stunning views of Admiralty Inlet, Port Townsend and the Olympics across the water. There's also an old Army fort on the site that is interesting to see, and a cute lighthouse.

You can make reservations for camping at any of the state parks on Whidbey Island at Washington State Parks Home Page There is camping at Deception Pass (and, again, the Bowman Bay/North campground is the better choice), Fort Ebey, Fort Casey and South Whidbey. There is nearby camping just off of Whidbey Island at Bay View

Old 07-22-2013, 01:24 PM

Great info, Sean. Thanks. I need to go to town and get some more detailed maps from AAA. Easier to lay them out on the table and get out the hi-liter!

Old 07-22-2013, 02:08 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,028,196 times
Again, if you stay at and make Anacortes your base camp, Deception Pass is just a few miles out of town where you can explore the area on a day trip with your tow vehicle. Deception Pass and the Deception Pass Bridge separate and connect Whidbey Island and Fidalgo Island.

And again, using Anacortes as a base camp can accommodate day trips to Chuckanut Drive and the North Cascades both worthwhile day trips. Depending on how late in the fall season you'll be in the area, the North Cascades would be a nice trip to see the fall colors.

As far as Portland RV parks go, I especially enjoy Reeder Beach RV Resort. It's a rustic park that is part farm and part RV park and has a quaint little country store on the property. Depending on how late in the season you will be there, you may be able to reserve a beach site on the Columbia River. This park is rough around the edges but it's not a traditional urban RV park where they pack you in like sardines. Their rates are excellent. It isn't an upscale type of place and the facilities are old but it's clean and well maintained.

It's on Sauvie Island about 18-miles northwest of downtown Portland. Here's a Google map directions from Portland >click here

Here's their website: Reeder Beach RV Park

Their photos: click here

Here's some Yelp reviews: click here

Here's some reviews on RV Park Reviews: click here

If this park doesn't look good to you, I have stayed at others around the area and I can give you those too. I'm not sure if they allow big dogs or not but I'd have to assume that they would be more willing than those all-concrete-and-asphalt RV parks where they do pack you in close together. And as you can see, they do not accept credit cards.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:50 PM

I did see Reeder Beach. It looks good, but I was hoping to be a little closer to Portland. We have friends to see in Portland, Boring and Battleground, Wa. Trying to be centrally located to those places.
I think we may stay in Anacortes and check out a couple of the San Juan Islands. Then move down to Deception Pass and stay at Cranberry Lake for a nite or two.
I really need to get some better maps. Going in tomorrow for that.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:46 PM

So...which Islands of the San Juans, if I could only pick two??

Old 07-22-2013, 07:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
There are private RV parks you can stay at closer to Kirkland, I know of two, in Issaquah and Bellevue (below). Both are also a better place to leave the trailer when going to Seattle, less than half an hour across the I90 bridge. I agree that you can't miss Deception Pass. You might also leave the trailer at Lake Crescent and drive to Hurricane Ridge without it, that's a nasty road for trailers but one of the most scenic places in the state. You picked a good time as it should be fairly quiet. I would avoid the ferry as it's going to be close to $100 with that big trailer and not worth it just to go on a ferry ride. better to park it and walk on and just go across and back for fun if you want.

Trailers Inn RV Park
Issaquah Village RV Park serves Seattle, North Bend, Pacific Northwest
http://www.logcabinresort.net/home.php

Old 07-22-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There are private RV parks you can stay at closer to Kirkland, I know of two, in Issaquah and Bellevue (below). Both are also a better place to leave the trailer when going to Seattle, less than half an hour across the I90 bridge. I agree that you can't miss Deception Pass. You might also leave the trailer at Lake Crescent and drive to Hurricane Ridge without it, that's a nasty road for trailers but one of the most scenic places in the state. You picked a good time as it should be fairly quiet. I would avoid the ferry as it's going to be close to $100 with that big trailer and not worth it just to go on a ferry ride. better to park it and walk on and just go across and back for fun if you want.

Trailers Inn RV Park
Issaquah Village RV Park serves Seattle, North Bend, Pacific Northwest
http://www.logcabinresort.net/home.php
Thanks for the tips on RV parks near Kirkland. Both seem to be pet friendly, too. Do you recommend one over the other? We would like a safe place to leave it while we're visiting Seattle.
I think we'll only have to do one ferry trip with the TT. Rather than back-tracking, which would cost us that much in gas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington