Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 953 times

Advertisements

I, too, enjoyed this entire thread, and agree with everyone, especially Claudia!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 09:07 PM

9 posts, read 19,641 times
Thank you all for responding to all of those questions. Sequim was one of the first places I looked at on the internet when I started looking for a place to retire to. A friend lived in Anacortes and told me to take a look. That was a long time ago. I have looked at many places since then and am now back to Sequim. Hopefully we can get up there this year, maybe in October, for a look around. Then if we like what we see, another trip in Jan.or Feb.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:28 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by realrelics View Post
Thank you all for responding to all of those questions. Sequim was one of the first places I looked at on the internet when I started looking for a place to retire to. A friend lived in Anacortes and told me to take a look. That was a long time ago. I have looked at many places since then and am now back to Sequim. Hopefully we can get up there this year, maybe in October, for a look around. Then if we like what we see, another trip in Jan.or Feb.
Best of luck to you! We fell in love with Sequim on our July trip and ended up buying a lot in a development just east of the city approaching the foothills (outside the Dungeness Water Rule area). Going back in October for a family visit (stepsister lives on Bainbridge Island and nephew lives in Bellingham).

I researched many places too and for us Sequim has the most to offer as a retirement home. Very little snow, rain, heat and humidity. No poisonous snakes/insects. Decent cost of living/housing. Amazingly beautiful natural environment. Lots of outdoor activity options including the user friendly Discovery Trail for walking/biking. Very friendly people. Focus on healthy, local food. Good number of small shops with a few big box stores for those on a tight budget. Good number of Bible based churches to choose from for a 6-7K town. Lots of volunteer opportunities. No state income tax.

There are some downsides but they are few. After all, no place is perfect and thank goodness cause then everyone would live there. Specialized health care requires some travel. Airport requires some travel. Higher sales tax than we are used to. We'll buy that new car in WI before we leave.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:39 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,152,355 times
So you will be stuck in wi for another winter?
Summer out here has been great... Starting to see some fall colors..

Old 09-17-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
So you will be stuck in wi for another winter?
Summer out here has been great... Starting to see some fall colors..
LOL! 5-7 more winters. Retirement is that far off. I like to plan ahead. 😊

Hoping some of those fall colors hang around til mid October when I come out again.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:40 PM

196 posts, read 318,941 times
Hey, Jumpindogs, we will be in Sequim within a week! Can't wait. Hope to see you out there sometime. We will be checking out everything.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner4484 View Post
Hey, Jumpindogs, we will be in Sequim within a week! Can't wait. Hope to see you out there sometime. We will be checking out everything.
Jealous!

Old 09-19-2014, 09:55 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,152,355 times
Wow that's a long time... More patient than I.. Ya I am one of those that get an idea and just do it..

Old 09-20-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Wow that's a long time... More patient than I.. Ya I am one of those that get an idea and just do it..
If we didn't have to wait until retirement we would prolly just do it. Pretty hard to commute 2K miles.

Old 09-20-2014, 03:47 PM

96 posts, read 257,185 times
My retirement is much closer, probably not more than 2-3 years. We are looking at Sequim, Camano Island, Whidbey Island, Anacortes, Bellingham, and the Blaine areas. The comments about it being dark or chilly in the winter don't bother me at all as we live in central Alaska now. We have made a few trips already looking around, and grew up in Western Oregon so we know Wa. pretty well. Some areas are more affordable than others, with Anacortes probably the most expensive but is also my first choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington