Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 08:08 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,627,270 times

Advertisements

Contrary to what other say, one really does need (or would be more comfortable if they had) AC in their homes. You wouldn't need to run it as often here as in other parts of the country, but it truly is something you'd want to have if at all possible. I am a transplant from the Midwest, have been here 5 years now, and the first thing we did when we bought our house was have central AC installed. We are very glad we did- sure we have stretches each summer where we fortunately don't need to run it, but we do use it a LOT. If you are like me and many others in other parts of the country where you are used to never letting your house get above a certain comfortable temperature indoors, then you would use it a lot. We set ours at 72 and have had it kicking on a lot really since April this year, and every single day for the last few weeks.
Without it even in the more average summers you are at the mercy of the weather, dealing with a warm/hot house (especially on the 2nd floor) most afternoons and relying on cool breezes late evening into the night to try to cool the house back down.

But to answer your question- most homes do not have AC- builders do not include central air as a standard feature as in most other parts of the country, and apartments don't have it, either. According to the guys at the heating/air conditioning company who installed ours, though, there is a lot of after market ac installation going on now- that trend according to them has really picked up in the last 10 years or so.

On your other question about businesses- fortunately most businesses I have been in DO have air conditioning. All big box stores, grocery stores, malls, etc. that I have been to are air conditioned. I suppose you could run into a few small mom and pop stores that aren't, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 08:09 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,462,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmcgrath View Post
Thanks for your responses. That's reassuring that most businesses have A/C so I could escape to there if need be
Malls and most businesses have A/C so you should be fne. But the past few summers its been getting warmer and warmer so I house with A/C of atleast getting a few ceiling fans installed is a pretty good idea just to be on the safe side. As someone who doesnt enjoy heat, that sounds wonderful right now!

Old 07-18-2014, 08:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Having moved here in part to escape the heat in CA, back in 1993, we have 3 window AC units and have been using them a lot the last few weeks. I like it at about 68-70, and with a 2 story house and lots of windows it can be 80 upstairs.
It does cool off well at night, down to at least 60 even if 90 at 5pm. I have only seen a few older, small businesses in Seattle without AC, most commercial buildings have it. Oddly, even in our wet climate it's not humid often. Probably because it's normally only hot when the skies are clear. Nothing like New Orleans where you go outside and are covered in sweat within 5 minutes.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:59 PM

172 posts, read 255,326 times
Thanks for the replies everyone. It got up to 90 with 80% humidity in Baton Rouge today. Can't wait for cooler weather in Washington

Old 07-21-2014, 01:01 PM

291 posts, read 392,594 times
Every few years we do have a heat wave that affects people and yes, people overheat.

With your condition, I think it would be worthwhile for you to invest in A/C. You can get a small unit installed in a couple of rooms in your home. My mom has one of these.

I disagree that most people need it--we just open the windows, put up the screens, and walk around in tank-tops and shorts--but in your case it's different.

Good luck with your move.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:42 PM

403 posts, read 681,671 times
Compare dew point temperatures for both locations at various parts of the year. You'll find that the Pac NW, in general, has values well below what you suffer from in LA. That is the real indicator of "comfort level". Typically, once dew points break 65 deg F or so, it is considered "uncomfortable". Obviously you experience values much higher than that for a good portion of the year. As mentioned above, Western WA has nature's A/C, in the form of onshore flow from the very cool to cold Pacific Ocean. Buy a window unit or portable for those few days to week or so during the summer when the house needs a bit of a cool down.

What you'll need, during the winter, is a humidifier or a good collection of house plants as central heating tends to really dry things out when the house is all closed up. If you have cats, they'll start to get annoyed getting shocked from the static buildup when you touch them in the winter.

Mean max. dew point contour map for U.S.: United States Yearly [Annual] and Monthly Mean Maximum Dew Point Temperature

Old 07-21-2014, 06:15 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Good fans and some outside window shading are really all you need to be comfortable at home.

If you need to have a central furnace replaced, then it makes sense to have a heating/AC system installed, but replacing a decent system just to get the AC doesn't pencil out.

(Unless there are specific health issues.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington