Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 02:30 PM

9 posts, read 15,403 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I'm new here. I currently live in Spokane and I'm looking to get out of here soon, Spokane is turning into a mini L.A. and suffering from BCS (Big City Syndrome). I really want to move somewhere more rural. The central Washington area has caught my eye recently, especially the town of Twisp. I've lived in Spokane for a long time and I've really never been anywhere else outside of Spokane, so there are some things I would like to know about the central Washington area. Is central Washington conservative or conservative friendly? what are the racial demographics? how are the jobs? Any info on the area will be a great help. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 02:44 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,044,586 times
It is Harrier's impression that the Cascade range separates the liberal western part of the state from the conservative eastern area.

Central Washington would be mostly the far western area east of the Cascades.

That doesn't necessarily mean that there are no liberals in Eastern Washington or no conservatives in Western Washington, but that generally the political climate can be predicted in these geographical entities.

Washington is somewhat purple - Republican gubernatorial candidate Dino Rossi lost an extremely close election in 2004, by less than 200 votes.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:59 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,830,933 times
You asked about racial demographics. Much of Central Washington is heavily Hispanic.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
You asked about racial demographics. Much of Central Washington is heavily Hispanic.
So as a white person would I be discriminated against? I read about Yakima and how Hispanics treat white people there and it has me very worried. I hope not all of central Washington is like this

Old 07-17-2014, 08:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,660 posts, read 81,403,499 times
We've stayed in both Winthrop and Twisp, and they are both fairly conservative, very small towns. Winthrop has more of a western, almost cowboy-like feel and seems very tourist based in summer, dead in winter. Twisp is similar but to a lesser extent. I didn't see many hispanics or any other minorities there or in Twisp. What I find the oddest is the number of deer running across the road at dusk, almost like playing a video game trying to dodge them. City-Data (not the forum) has the demographics, if you want to get more info.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:56 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,835,146 times
Twisp and Winthrop are nice areas but there's not much to offer as far as jobs. The central part of the state is even more conservative than Spokane and the Hispanics are the majority in many of these towns. It's mostly agricultural based, but there's other things of course like healthcare or the school districts.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:49 AM

Thank you everyone for all your help, I appreciate it.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:33 PM

486 posts, read 843,983 times
I would think twice about Twisp.....

Not going to be much left after the fire torched 80-100 homes in that area.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:46 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,277,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
It is Harrier's impression that the Cascade range separates the liberal western part of the state from the conservative eastern area.

Central Washington would be mostly the far western area east of the Cascades.

That doesn't necessarily mean that there are no liberals in Eastern Washington or no conservatives in Western Washington, but that generally the political climate can be predicted in these geographical entities.

Washington is somewhat purple - Republican gubernatorial candidate Dino Rossi lost an extremely close election in 2004, by less than 200 votes.
Yes, but Twisp is kind of like Leavenworth - there has been enough influx of Coastie retirees that the political views of the area are beginning to shift. Twisp definitely has a yuppie/artsy-fartsy vibe now. Depends on your point-of-view as to whether that's a good thing or not. There is still a large continent of the "old guard" in the Methow Valley, but their percentages are dwindling all the time as more and more rich Coasties move over there or buy weekend homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Yes, but the Methow Valley (in which Twisp lies) is almost completely white.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:49 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,277,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
What I find the oddest is the number of deer running across the road at dusk, almost like playing a video game trying to dodge them.
LOL! I guess everyone's experiences are different. IMO, this isn't odd, this is normal life. Watching for deer crossing the road is second nature.

What is odd to me is taking an hour to drive three miles in Seattle, because you're sitting in traffic. In my neck of the woods, the time it takes to get from point A to point B is the speed limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington