Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 10:26 AM

202 posts, read 406,461 times

Advertisements

I am going camping this weekend to Long Beach (yay!) and as I was studying potential routes to get there, I noticed a rather large swath of "nothing" between the 101 and 5 ... although there is a road through the middle of the area ... 6, and two tiny towns called Lebam and Pe Ell. Is anyone familiar with this area? Why is it so rural still? That's definitely not a bad thing, I'm just curious! I love learning about stuff like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 10:40 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
I don't know exactly why it's such an empty quarter, but I note there is a lot of commercial timberland in the area, which constricts town growth both physically and economically.

In my recent move, I seriously considered moving to Pe Ell. It's a very beautiful little spot. Decided against it though, because it is so small it can't support a modern PNW cafe society - the local store has a coffee machine and a couple tables near the magazine rack, but the coffee is not good - and I realized I just wouldn't fit in there. Also thought about Raymond, nearer the coast, but eventually wound up closer to Seattle.

I think it is just a matter of time before the area starts attracting more residents. If I were younger and willing to wait for the cafe society to move out to me...

Old 09-04-2014, 12:56 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Weyerhaeuser land and tree farms.

A more scenic route is to take Highway 8 to Aberdeen, 105 to Westport/Grayland, south to Tokeland, and then to Raymond to connect to 101.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:11 PM

Weyerhaeuser? I knew I knew that name from somewhere. Sure enough, there's a Weyerhaeuser Mainline Road just off 410 east of Enumclaw ... coincidence? I tried to get on and explore it once, but it loops around and crosses over 410, only the bridge is barricaded. Hm ...

As for your scenic drive option, I'm checking that out now on Google Maps! I love scenic, although for this weekend's little adventure I'm mostly concerned with avoiding traffic Friday afternoon, eeeeek! We're going from Maple Valley to Long Beach.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:17 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caver Girl View Post
Weyerhaeuser? I knew I knew that name from somewhere. Sure enough, there's a Weyerhaeuser Mainline Road just off 410 east of Enumclaw ... coincidence?
Nope, no coincidence. Weyerhaeuser used to own about half the private forestland in Cascadia, seems like. Still own a lot of it. Headquarters was in Portland once, I think, but they are a national and international company now.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:25 PM

Interesting, thank you, jacqueg!

I wonder if I can hop on the Weyerhaeuser Mainline Road from somewhere other than at 410, lol ...

Old 09-04-2014, 04:25 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caver Girl View Post
Weyerhaeuser? I knew I knew that name from somewhere. Sure enough, there's a Weyerhaeuser Mainline Road just off 410 east of Enumclaw ... coincidence? I tried to get on and explore it once, but it loops around and crosses over 410, only the bridge is barricaded. Hm ...

As for your scenic drive option, I'm checking that out now on Google Maps! I love scenic, although for this weekend's little adventure I'm mostly concerned with avoiding traffic Friday afternoon, eeeeek! We're going from Maple Valley to Long Beach.
According to Google Map directions, the quickest route from Olympia is on SR-8/US-12 to Montesano, then SR-107/US-101 to Raymond and Long Beach, by at least a half-hour. The Aberdeen-Grayland-Tokeland side-route would probably add another 45 minutes.

The biggest traffic issues should be from Maple Valley to Olympia.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:40 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
According to Google Map directions, the quickest route from Olympia is on SR-8/US-12 to Montesano, then SR-107/US-101 to Raymond and Long Beach, by at least a half-hour. The Aberdeen-Grayland-Tokeland side-route would probably add another 45 minutes.

The biggest traffic issues should be from Maple Valley to Olympia.
Both of those routes are more scenic than through Lebam if you like to see water. Maybe go one way and back another. Friday night going south and Sunday afternoon coming back from Olympia is some nasty traffic through about the end of September.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:54 AM

526 posts, read 898,923 times
I think the drive thru Labam, etc is great/enjoyable

Old 09-08-2014, 09:02 AM

We had a great weekend! We stuck to the main route mostly, but on the way home went south around Capitol State Forest on 12 and avoided I5 altogether!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington