Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 06:47 AM

44 posts, read 54,942 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm planning a cross-country move from FL with my fiance, and we're narrowing down ideas. Washington state came up as a possibility.

Basically, we're looking for plenty to do outdoors (love hiking, biking, fishing, etc.) and legal work opportunities. He's an attorney and must re-take the bar exam before we move (so we'd have to select the state before taking the exam in Feb). We're also considering Idaho, Oregon and Montana.

I'd also like to find a place that has cool, dry weather and low-humidity. Areas with low pollution are also a major plus, as I have a health condition that affects my lungs.

I know WA is typically rainy, but are there any pockets that are cool and dry year-round?

Thanks in advance for suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 07:47 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,990 times
East of the Cascade mountain range.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:37 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Wenatchee, WA area is a preference for me... diverse economy and great recreation region with decent services and close enough to We_tside for EZ access to coast / Puget Sound / airport.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:44 AM

8,070 posts, read 8,363,780 times
Criminal law? Walla Walla in Washington - state prison there. Also, center of Washington's wine industry, so could be opportunities in business/corporate law. Dry, low humidity.

In Oregon - La Grande, Pendleton?

Old 06-03-2015, 12:15 PM

Thanks all, appreciate the suggestions! Will look all these places up

Old 06-03-2015, 02:30 PM

576 posts, read 2,260,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarleee View Post
We're also considering Idaho, Oregon and Montana.
Of these, the Boise region also meets your plenty to do outdoors, dry and low humidity requirements. It's high desert so it will get warm during the summer however.

Eastern OR (like the eastern WA recommendation above) is also dry but there is not as much of a population base in eastern OR vs. the western (I-5 corridor) side of the state, which might impact employment opportunities.

Montana is beautiful but the winters there can be brisk, especially as you are coming from Florida.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:36 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,398 times
I think, in terms of Washington, I would look at Spokane. TONS to do outdoors, cooler than Yakima or Tri-Cities, and certainly drier than Western Washington. And would probably be your best chance of finding legal work easily in any part of the PNW that is dry (other than possibly Boise, that has already been mentioned).

Old 06-03-2015, 08:05 PM

Boise could have air quality issues (Ag production and airborne dust), Better check that out, Walla Walla may have similar during growing season (heavy AG).

Give Moscow, ID a look! NICE QoL area.

Missoula, and Columbia Falls, MT are nice choices too. (Bozeman 3rd, for larger western towns with recreation).

Look into Oregon jobs in legal field... but I would scratch it as an option. (State politics / Gov / funding / legislation / income tax / lots of petty rules and pursuits (OR trying to wannabe like CA).)

Old 06-04-2015, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Boise could have air quality issues (Ag production and airborne dust), Better check that out, Walla Walla may have similar during growing season (heavy AG).

Give Moscow, ID a look! NICE QoL area.

Missoula, and Columbia Falls, MT are nice choices too. (Bozeman 3rd, for larger western towns with recreation).

Look into Oregon jobs in legal field... but I would scratch it as an option. (State politics / Gov / funding / legislation / income tax / lots of petty rules and pursuits (OR trying to wannabe like CA).)
Thanks StealthRabbit, very helpful! I have heard the agriculture production in Idaho could be an issue for my condition, so definitely something to consider. Moscow is a new suggestion, will look it up!

As far as Oregon, could you elaborate a little more on the state politics issues, etc? How do they affect quality of life?

Old 06-04-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarleee View Post
Thanks StealthRabbit, very helpful! I have heard the agriculture production in Idaho could be an issue for my condition, so definitely something to consider. Moscow is a new suggestion, will look it up!

As far as Oregon, could you elaborate a little more on the state politics issues, etc? How do they affect quality of life?
Oregon is polarized (group think) and if you are political and MIGHT have a differing opinion, life can be miserable for you. They take their liberal leanings VERY serious and are very proud of their independence(how can you be independent and REQUIRED to think / act alike ). 2 - 3 counties in OR (and WA) control the vote of the state. No need / reason to campaign / spend in the other 30+ counties, their vote does not count anyway.

Income Tax free WA is great for your 'earning yrs'. Not as much of benefit when you retire / have low earnings.
There are many diverse areas in PNW, WA and MT are the easiest to 'fit-in'. ID can be polarized too (high population of active and retired military / Gov workers / and survivalists) Many CA conservatives (fire and police) retire to ID.

Usually PNW is pretty good about 'live and let live' and not being in your face. Oregon is not in your face as long as you are not confrontational (or even incline to ask question) to their social agenda. If you are happy in Bikenstocks and wool socks and can pretend to be an antique hippy you will be fine. WA and MT tolerate and encourage independent thinkers, but have their own issues in different ways... just ez to survive in either of those states without blatant aggression / conflict with friends and neighbors. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington