Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 10:19 AM

15 posts, read 76,061 times

Advertisements

Why does Anacortes get overlooked? Do people find that the refineries are an issue? Are they just ugly or is there something with pollution to be aware of there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 10:34 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
Oh, I wouldn't let the oil refinery stomp out my chance to live in beautiful Anacortes, WA. I'm over in eastern Washington right now but grew up in Edmonds, WA. I have spent some time visiting Anacortes and love Washington Park in town. I am putting Anacortes on my list of retirement towns. I am looking at about 6 more years of work, Lord willing and the creek don't rise.

But the refinery may smell, I don't recall a strong smell, and does have an occasional explosion now and then. Those don't endanger the general public but can and occasionally do kill oil refinery workers. Someone can enlighten this discussion further but I wouldn't let the oil refinery get in the way of a chance to move to this small, maritime western Washington city.

Old 06-28-2015, 02:04 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flytyer View Post
Why does Anacortes get overlooked? Do people find that the refineries are an issue? Are they just ugly or is there something with pollution to be aware of there?
I don't think anyone discounts Anacortes but from a schools perspective, I would rank it:

1. Bainbridge (easy proximity to Seattle)
2. Bellingham (plus they have the university there)
3. Anacortes (less expensive, great atmosphere, small, quaint, easy access to San Juan Islands ferry)

I like Poulsbo but I like Port Townsend more. The advantage to Poulsbo is it's proximity to places like Bainbridge and Seattle as well as Gig Harbor and Tacoma.

Last edited by Seacove; 06-28-2015 at 02:29 PM..

Old 06-28-2015, 03:44 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
A ways off I-5 and not on the way to anywhere else, other than the ferry to the San Juans and Victoria. You have to go by the refineries to get to Anacortes, but they're not in Anacortes. I wouldn't call them ugly (more "otherworldly") and have never noticed a smell when I've been up there. They are a source of employment and income. A good time to visit could be for the Anacortes Arts Festival (Aug. 7-9).

Anacortes Arts Festival | Celebrating arts, culture and community for 54 years.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:00 PM

So i have been thinking about the advice, and here is the disconnect. I am hearing many people recommend Bainbridge as the top option, but then others saying it is too pretentious and/or competitive.

Are there any people who have lived on Bainbridge or have friends there who can give me a sense for whether it would be a hard move for our kids? They are both in "10" schools right now. The difference is that we are in a college town and the schools are great because they are filled with professors and/or graduate student children who have parents who emphasize school. However, it is not a rich or pretentious area by any means. It is somehow laid back, and high quality education. Both kids get terrific grades but neither are competitive by nature. I am interested to know if the schools/atmosphere is really as difficult as people seem to say or if there is room for two middle class and midwest polite children...? I love that the area is close to Seatlle if needed and that it SEEMS to be nature focused. Does that weed out people who are focused on shopping as a past-time? Maybe..?

Thanks for further advice!

Old 07-01-2015, 06:36 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,349 times
Quote:
So i have been thinking about the advice, and here is the disconnect. I am hearing many people recommend Bainbridge as the top option, but then others saying it is too pretentious and/or competitive.

Are there any people who have lived on Bainbridge or have friends there who can give me a sense for whether it would be a hard move for our kids? They are both in "10" schools right now. The difference is that we are in a college town and the schools are great because they are filled with professors and/or graduate student children who have parents who emphasize school. However, it is not a rich or pretentious area by any means. It is somehow laid back, and high quality education. Both kids get terrific grades but neither are competitive by nature. I am interested to know if the schools/atmosphere is really as difficult as people seem to say or if there is room for two middle class and midwest polite children...? I love that the area is close to Seatlle if needed and that it SEEMS to be nature focused. Does that weed out people who are focused on shopping as a past-time? Maybe..?

Thanks for further advice!
My stepsister has lived on BI for the past 25 or so years and I've never heard her speak of such difficulties. They have two kids...a very athletic, gregarious, attractive young man and a brilliant daughter who is less socially adept. Both have done well in their schools and are currently pursuing successful college educations...the son in WA and the daughter in NY. My sister's family is very down to earth and enjoys an active neighborhood social life. Not at all pretentious. Maybe a little competitive but you can find that in Anywhere, USA.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:19 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,938,965 times
I just wanted to point out that Anacortes and Bainbridge (~20,000 each) are much smaller in size than Bellingham (80,000 and 200,000 in the metro). It's a totally different animal than the other two and proximity to Seattle isn't a big concern to most Bellinghamsters (yes, that's what we're called)! Bellingham is on I-5, and a destination big enough to have several airlines flying in/out, several museums, and much, much more shopping and dining options than the other two. We also have several trains per day to Seattle and Vancouver, BC, which is actually closer to Bellingham. It is not a bedroom community or suburb of Seattle, but is an active, self-contained city that feels much bigger and more alive than the other choices. Some even call it a college town, though it doesn't feel dominated by the school in the slightest.

I can't vouch for the school system, but several of our friends have children of varying ages and they love raising them here.

In terms of the outdoors, they're all good choices, though Bellingham is much closer to mountains than the other two- in fact the Chuckanut Mountains on the south side of town is the only place where the Cascades touch the water.

Overall, they're all good choices, it depends on what you're looking for. If you just want a small-ish, somewhat isolated town (but close by ferry to Seattle), go with Bainbridge. Anacortes is nice, and as mentioned earlier, often overlooked. But still small. If you want a medium-sized city with it's own distinct flavor and enough things and activities to keep you around the area more, I'd say that Bellingham is a better choice. Just know that it doesn't have type of quaint charm of the other towns (though it does have some charming old neighborhoods).

Old 07-09-2015, 12:46 AM

68 posts, read 148,414 times
I haven't felt the slightest bit isolated in Bellingham. I'd rather say it feels like a comfortable blanket insulating us from crap. You can easily dabble in Vancouver for a thrill, being 40-50 minutes away.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:00 AM

This has all been very helpful. We just went to visit the towns. Bellingham has a really cute town "Fairhaven" and great schools there too. Bainbridge is a bit more crowded when you compare it to that area. The roads seem smaller but with more cars and the houses are closer together. (Just my own observation.) Anacortes is much quieter than the other two, but also not as cute and not as expensive. Not sure where we will end up, but we are liking Bellingham right now. Thanks everyone for these useful posts!

Old 07-12-2015, 07:16 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,349 times
Quote:
This has all been very helpful. We just went to visit the towns. Bellingham has a really cute town "Fairhaven" and great schools there too. Bainbridge is a bit more crowded when you compare it to that area. The roads seem smaller but with more cars and the houses are closer together. (Just my own observation.) Anacortes is much quieter than the other two, but also not as cute and not as expensive. Not sure where we will end up, but we are liking Bellingham right now. Thanks everyone for these useful posts!
Forgot to mention that it can be really challenging to turn left onto the main drag on BI (305) unless you are doing it at one of the few stoplights. The speed limit along this two lane road, for the most part, is 50 mph if I remember correctly which makes those turns even more dangerous with heavy traffic. It's a valid worry for teens with little driving experience and there have been lots of accidents. If I was looking on BI and planning on a ferry ride for work I would prolly try to find a house on the west side of 305 or, even better, one with access to a 305 stoplight to avoid that turn.

The roads are narrow on BI and that can make biking tough although many do it and most drivers are used to accommodating them.

Glad you like Bellingham. My nephew lives there and loves it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington