Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2015, 11:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,655 times

Advertisements

the title pretty much says it all. I'll be 18 in July and will be fresh out of Highschool. I work at Ihop currently and I do plan on going to school. (College). Honestly, I want to know your tips and advice for basically starting a new life up there. I'll probably live with my aunt who already lives up there on williams road. Tell me anything I would need to know but I would also like answers to these specific questions I have:

1. Should a buy a house or motor home and how much would they cost?

2. Are cars cheap out there?

3. I'm defiantly going hunting, what kind of permits do I need for both hunting and using a gun?

4. What's a good paying job that will still allow me to pay rent for a house or apartment?

5. What's it like there? What goes on on an average day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 11:23 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,866,194 times
1. Don't know, but housing costs are generally lower in small towns in WA.
2. Car values are pretty much the same wherever you are.
3. Go to Hunter-Ed.com/washington
4. Depends. What kind of skills do you have? You must take your skills and apply them to any job openings.
5. Very small town, and make sure you know it is "Call-ville", not "Cole-ville". I only say this because there are still news anchors in E. Washington who don't know how to pronounce it.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:59 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Privatechief117 View Post
the title pretty much says it all. I'll be 18 in July and will be fresh out of Highschool. I work at Ihop currently and I do plan on going to school. (College). Honestly, I want to know your tips and advice for basically starting a new life up there. I'll probably live with my aunt who already lives up there on williams road. Tell me anything I would need to know but I would also like answers to these specific questions I have:

1. Should a buy a house or motor home and how much would they cost?

2. Are cars cheap out there?

3. I'm defiantly going hunting, what kind of permits do I need for both hunting and using a gun?

4. What's a good paying job that will still allow me to pay rent for a house or apartment?

5. What's it like there? What goes on on an average day?
Wow. Well, I live in Colville, but I'm still not sure that I can answer these questions. Your questions are super vague.

Let's see:

1) You will need to look on Realtor.com or contact the Windermere rental management place in town to get an idea of prices. There's no way to tell you how much that a house will cost. Less than Des Moise, probably.

2) Are cars cheap? I don't know what that means. Again, they probably cost less than the Seattle area, but general costs will be similar.

3) You need a hunting license and will need to take a hunter's safety course if you have never taken one before. Licenses vary depending on the game, time or year, etc.

4) I don't know how to answer this. Not a lot of jobs in a small town like Colville.

5) Also don't know how to answer this.

Have you been to Colville before? Life is different than in a Seattle suburb, but we don't live in tepees or igloos and drink moonshine all day long. I would recommend you do a LOT of research before your move and look for a job and/or contact the branch of Spokane Community College in town to find out more.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:17 PM

206 posts, read 333,285 times
Locals frequently complain there's nothing for people your age to do in Colville. There is an extension but if you're serious about University and the opportunities a college town affords, consider Spokane, Pullman, or Moscow instead.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem22 View Post
Locals frequently complain there's nothing for people your age to do in Colville. There is an extension but if you're serious about University and the opportunities a college town affords, consider Spokane, Pullman, or Moscow instead.
add Walla Walla and Ellensburg.

NEVER 'defiantly' go hunting very dangerous! If you are age 18 and 'Defiant'... please do not own a gun (or at least move to Colorado (my previous home state and VERY popular for defiant teen-age 'boy' gun owners!!... of which I ONCE was)

advice; (My boys are 10+ yrs beyond college... I left home at age 15 (in colorado and with my guns))

1) get a small apartment / mobile home rental (with good heat and NO neighbors)
2) get an econo car, EZ to feed and fix. Mine cost $35 at a towing auction. it gets 50 mpg on free cooking oil (as it has for 39 yrs)= NO expense for fuel. I have a friend in Colville that makes 200 gal of FREE fuel every week from used cooking oil.
3) Don't be defiant and ANYTHING, especially with a gun in hand. (have you had hunter safety training...? if not, get to a gun club and get a mentor to lead / sponsor you through hunter safety). If you Definitely want to go hunting you will find a nice older (wiser) friend at a gun club. learn to bird hunt... it if fun and challenging.
4) Get a SKILL at a local manufacturer (there are a couple in Colville). Work nights so you can attend school at daytime (when you are 'fresh'). I was a night shift welder / sheetmetal / machinist while in college. I was a farm kid, so knew all that stuff by Jr High. Also was a certified mechanic and a CDL (commercial truck driver). I had 3 jobs while in engineering college and learned something new everyday (at work). I do 20+ yrs of nights. It served my hunting / farming / homeschooling / volunteer lifestyle well. It paid FAR better than day shift and I was able to retire before age 50)
5. Colville is a pretty sleepy town. Tho nice... consider other alternatives (Sandpoint would be tops on my list!). for serious school and great outdoors... Look to Montana / WY college towns and also Moscow, ID AFTER you have done Jr college, and are ready for the real deal. (MUCH cheaper to do Jr College first)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington