Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 02:40 PM

12 posts, read 17,927 times

Advertisements

The crime statistics of Yakima are blown out of proportion by certain people on this forum. They use it to paint a picture of such a horrible and scary place. When I visited I expected to see a place that resembles Compton , Ca the way they were describing this place. I'm still LMAO. My question to those critics is of those lovely numbers you all love to read. How much of those violent crimes happened outside of the area from 1st to 16th street and how much of those violent crimes happened to whites. Also if you love numbers. The city has not had more than 20 murders in any given year. What percent of those murders were gang related and happened within the area previously stated. Also with avg less than 20 murders a year a number probably closer to 10 a year in a city of 90,000 wouldn't you consider this a pretty safe area? Oh by the way Washington City , Utah once made the FBI list as one of the most violent areas statisticly! Lmao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 05:08 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikvegas View Post
The crime statistics of Yakima are blown out of proportion by certain people on this forum. They use it to paint a picture of such a horrible and scary place. When I visited I expected to see a place that resembles Compton , Ca the way they were describing this place. I'm still LMAO. My question to those critics is of those lovely numbers you all love to read. How much of those violent crimes happened outside of the area from 1st to 16th street and how much of those violent crimes happened to whites. Also if you love numbers. The city has not had more than 20 murders in any given year. What percent of those murders were gang related and happened within the area previously stated. Also with avg less than 20 murders a year a number probably closer to 10 a year in a city of 90,000 wouldn't you consider this a pretty safe area? Oh by the way Washington City , Utah once made the FBI list as one of the most violent areas statisticly! Lmao
It is not blown out of proportion. Your reaction is.

If you want specifics, best option is to call Yakima PD and ask. Or go to their website, I believe they should have that information up.

It's good that they don't average more than 20 a year because that's Seattle's rough average, and Seattle is substantially much more a bigger city than Yakima. It would be very disconcerting otherwise.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:19 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Seattle Population 668,000 - murders in 2014 = 26 (1 per 26,000 people)
Yakima Population 93,000 - murders in 2014 = 9 (1 per 10,000 people)

Definite difference. Still, Yakima cannot compare to cities with real crime issues such as Detroit, Oakland, or Baltimore, with 27 murders in the last 30 days. It just happens to be one of the highest crime cities in WA state.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Seattle Population 668,000 - murders in 2014 = 26 (1 per 26,000 people)
Yakima Population 93,000 - murders in 2014 = 9 (1 per 10,000 people)

Definite difference. Still, Yakima cannot compare to cities with real crime issues such as Detroit, Oakland, or Baltimore, with 27 murders in the last 30 days. It just happens to be one of the highest crime cities in WA state.
Exactly. One can expect Seattle to have 20-30 murders in a year. There's been a couple years where it didn't even crack 20.

Quote:
Also with avg less than 20 murders a year a number probably closer to 10 a year in a city of 90,000 wouldn't you consider this a pretty safe area?
By Washington standards, No. Actually for the size of the population, anything over 5 is already too much. If your benchmark is only the number of murders, there's plenty of cities-- bigger, around the same size and smaller than Yakima-- in WA that don't even have as many murders. Having that kind of benchmark is actually kind of pointless for Wa (knock on wood), you're just getting yourself riled up for nothing.

FWIW, my hometown has less than 20k people... And is routinely touted as one as the worst cities in WA. Last year, it was rated as the #1 Most dangerous city in WA. Do you know how many murders my hometown normally gets? 2. There's been some years where it had none. Obviously people look at overall crime, not just murders.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:16 PM

My point for pointing this info out is that everytime somebody comes on here and ask about relocating to Yakima there are people who paint a horrible picture about this place without looking at the big picture. The fact is that Washington as a whole and cities in it like Yakima are really safe compared to most parts of the country. I'm relocating from Vegas which is 3 times smaller than Seattle but has had more than 150 murders a year and on route to break that this year.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:22 PM

And it's just not the murder stats it's violent crimes as a whole is being blown out of proportion. So talk to me when you can answer the original question. Because you didn't in your original reply. Those stats were strictly related to a small area within a certain race in Yakima. I'm trying to make your area look good , locals are trying to make it seem bad ?????????? Please move so the locals who really care can continue to make the place better.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
And it's just not the murder stats it's violent crimes as a whole is being blown out of proportion. So talk to me when you can answer the original question. Because you didn't in your original reply. Those stats were strictly related to a small area within a certain race in Yakima. I'm trying to make your area look good , locals are trying to make it seem bad ?????????? Please move so the locals who really care can continue to make the place better.
ORLY? Let's review:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
If you want specifics, best option is to call Yakima PD and ask. Or go to their website, I believe they should have that information up.
That is going to be the most sensible, and most accurate answer you're going to get.

There's no need for you to make the area "look good". There is a lot of dysfunction that exists in the area and I'm not really surprised that there are negative reviews. It happens. We have 2 regular posters that live in the Yakima area, while they don't really seem to rave about the area, they don't really disparage it either. I guess it works for them... Perhaps you can DM them because they may be as close to "unbiased" (not as negative) opinions you'll get. They're CarlB328 and Amerideaf.

Personally, I would never live in Yakima. But if I had to live in that area, Selah would be my go-to choice.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:43 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I guess I don't see your point.

Talking to the Yakima PD would certainly get a very anecdotal idea of what they are exposed to on a daily basis, but I am fairly certain that no one at the Yakima PD is doing statistical analysis on their crime numbers. How would talking to an officer there give you an idea of how the city compares to other cities?

Old 09-22-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
I guess I don't see your point.

Talking to the Yakima PD would certainly get a very anecdotal idea of what they are exposed to on a daily basis, but I am fairly certain that no one at the Yakima PD is doing statistical analysis on their crime numbers. How would talking to an officer there give you an idea of how the city compares to other cities?
It's a response to the original question.

Quote:
How much of those violent crimes happened outside of the area from 1st to 16th street and how much of those violent crimes happened to whites. Also if you love numbers. The city has not had more than 20 murders in any given year. What percent of those murders were gang related and happened within the area previously stated.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:30 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
Quote:
My point for pointing this info out is that everytime somebody comes on here and ask about relocating to Yakima there are people who paint a horrible picture about this place without looking at the big picture. The fact is that Washington as a whole and cities in it like Yakima are really safe compared to most parts of the country. I'm relocating from Vegas which is 3 times smaller than Seattle but has had more than 150 murders a year and on route to break that this year.
So, hey, mikvegas, are you moving to Yakima? If so, come back on the forum after you have lived in Yakima for awhile and share how it has been for you...one thing that I have noticed is that very few people who say that they are planning to relocate, ever report back how the relocation worked for them...and that would be more useful information, for a lot of people, than the above discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington