Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 05:35 PM

239 posts, read 255,712 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

My partner and I will be flying into Seattle on February 24th, and we will be there for about a week.

Our main focus of the trip is Seattle, but we'll have a lot of extra time. We'll be heading to Vancouver for an overnight stay, but we wanted to see what else there is to do.

We're from Miami, so driving in the snow would be VERY new to us, and we'd be renting a small car.
I don't know how to get chains for the tires.

What do you suggest we do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 07:34 PM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Downtown on the waterfront, the Seattle Aquarium is neat.

Ride a ferry somewhere... and back.

If you aren't skilled driving in the snow, I wouldn't recommend going anywhere chains would be needed or required. I would recommend a trip up to one of the mountain passes only if the weather is forecast to be good, i.e. Clear and sunny. Otherwise you won't enjoy it and you won't be able to see any of the views. That's not fun.

Bring coats. You guys will be cold.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:19 PM

239 posts, read 255,712 times
how cold are you guys thinking it'll be during that time?

Old 01-05-2016, 09:23 PM

2 posts, read 1,878 times
The Seattle area is really known for its food; I would certainly Yelp some great restaurants downtown. Everyone will always swear you need to visit the Pike Place Market and see the guys throw the fish. In addition, you might hit the Starbucks flagship store and the Experience Music Project. The Mohai Museum on South Lake Union is also incredible. There are so many things to do and see. A nice trip to West Seattle on Alki Beach is also nice, you can catch glimpses of Harbor Seals, Orcas and see the city lights if you go at night. Enjoy the city!

Old 01-05-2016, 09:24 PM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Could be anywhere between twenties and forties. If it's sunny, it will actually be beautiful and potentially colder. If it's cloudy, it will likely be wet and windy too.

If you do things outside, I'd be prepared for cold, is all.

If it's glorious, you can take it off.

February is not our best month.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:24 AM

811 posts, read 1,147,408 times
For your trip to Vancouver, if you can, take the train!! Sipping an adult beverage (or even just a great coffee) while enjoying the view out the window and breezing through customs beats the heck out of driving, truly. It will feel like a proper vacation that way.

For the Seattle area, it sounds like you already have your in-city-touring figured out, but are looking for things to do outside of the city?

First suggestion is take the ferry to either Bainbridge or Vashon Island. Both islands have such great vibes - though different from each other - and things to do for multiple interests (food, art, outdoors, wine, history...). They each have good, tourism-oriented websites to help you decide which is the best fit for you.

Honestly, between the time it will take you to get to Vancouver and back, and one day-trip on the ferry, I think I'd save the rest of my time for the city, if I were you! If you're looking for city ideas to fill the rest of your time, let us know what you and your partner are really interested in. There are so many options (parks, restaurants, exploring neighborhoods, history, arts, breweries + distilleries, nature, shopping, entertainment...), it would help to know where to start.

If you're still looking for outside-of-Seattle ideas, I'd personally take a hike with a mountain vista if the weather permitted. BUT February can be rough for muddy, rainy trails, so an alternative might be to take a drive out to Snoqualmie and sip a hot toddy at the Salish Lodge while looking at the gorgeous Snoqualmie Falls out the window (and of course walk outside to the viewing deck to get a closer look). That would be a good half-day trip, right there, and an easy way to see some gorgeous "nature" without having to be in the cold or rain for any length of time. If it turns out that you're crazy, like me, and enjoy hiking even when it's frigid and there might be mud, then several very satisfying, quick, winter-accessible trails with gorgeous views from the top are right near Snoqualmie Falls, as well. Being from Miami, you may freeze your butts off without prior conditioning though.

Taking a winery-tour/doing some wine-tasting in the Woodinville area is another great option, if that's something that you and your partner enjoy.

Hope that helps, for a start!

Enjoy Seattle and your trip!

Old 01-13-2016, 05:17 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post

Taking a winery-tour/doing some wine-tasting in the Woodinville area is another great option, if that's something that you and your partner enjoy.
If you liked the vineyards and wineries of Woodinville...I would recommend the following.

You can go to Disney Land in California and tell everybody you went to the Matterhorn!!

Buy a fancy Salmon dinner in Florida.

Go to Las Vegas....and see Venice, New York and Paris!!

My recommendation is you drive to Walla Walla for the real thing.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:14 PM

811 posts, read 1,147,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
If you liked the vineyards and wineries of Woodinville...I would recommend the following.

You can go to Disney Land in California and tell everybody you went to the Matterhorn!!

Buy a fancy Salmon dinner in Florida.

Go to Las Vegas....and see Venice, New York and Paris!!

My recommendation is you drive to Walla Walla for the real thing.
Sure, but not if we're talking about easy day trips from Seattle. Read the original post, 509. Driving to Walla Walla is not realistically on the list. I've done my fair share of wine-tasting in Prosser and the greater Yakima Valley, as well as Walla Walla. It's great. That doesn't mean that visiting Columbia valley wineries and a myriad of tasting rooms that are in close proximity to each other in the lovely town of Woodinville isn't also great (in fact, it's kind of nice to not have to drive between tasting rooms). It is a really fun time and a great option for a day trip to explore outside the city limits of Seattle, without a huge time commitment. I don't think he OP is looking to spend the night in Walla Walla... Who cares if the grapes are not growing right next to the tasting room? Big freakin' deal. It's the same delicious wine, great ambience, and a good education on varieties and vintages. You still have the opportunity to meet wine makers or learn from those who work with them. Sheesh. No need to be snobby about it.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:02 AM

353 posts, read 934,577 times
Visit Port Angeles/Victoria Olympic National Park, or over Deception Pass to Anacortes and ferry to one of the San Juan Islands. Do not try to do it all. There is plenty to do, so do not schedule too much! I second the idea of taking the train to Vancouver.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:02 PM

226 posts, read 303,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
Sure, but not if we're talking about easy day trips from Seattle.
Then maybe your subject line should have read "exploring King County!" ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington