Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 04:17 PM

7 posts, read 9,292 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am planning a move within the next couple years, yes I will be visiting first, and I'm hoping you all can help me choose the right town. Please do not respond with sarcastic comments, thank you!

I have traveled around and lived in quite a few states already with most of my time spent in CO, CA, and NC. I love grey skies and gloomy days, rain and snow. I may be one of the very few people who dislike hot sunny days and spend that time indoors waiting for the clouds to come out. I have mainly been focusing my research in the cities in Olympic Peninsula, although I am open to other areas and even states, perhaps Oregon? I do enjoy small towns, I currently live in one. As such, I have taken a liking to Forks, I also love the close proximity it has to the beach and to the forest. All that I can find of this town is Twilight based, I haven't read the books or seen the movies, and would love real information about the town. I'm a bar tender and I work from home, graphic design. I loved hiking, camping, and boating in CO.

-I am curious to know how much humidity there is there. Is it anything like NC humidity or is it 'dry' like CO?
-I am aware that it rains quite often, but I am interested in knowing how frequent thunderstorms are, with loud thunder and lighting. I have a dog who is fine with pouring rain as long as its not accompanied by loud thunder. I wonder if he would be better off not joining me on this move if there are frequent thunderstorms.
-I'm also wondering how walkable and/or bikeable the town is? I currently don't have a car because I live close to our main street in which all the mom/pop shops are located. I don't mind attaining a car if I live in a very small or rural area but if I live in a suburb or city I would take buses or other forms of transportation.
-Another question I had, although obviously not a deal breaker either way, was about bugs. More specifically fleas and ticks. How prevalent are they in WA? I currently cannot even take my dogs potty in the yard closest to the house as they come back with the little buggers each time. Its really an extreme annoyance that I haven't had to experience in CO or CA before.

I would love to hear opinions or advice any would like to share with me. I did aim these questions towards Forks, but I am open to other cities in or outside of Olympic Peninsula or even in other states that may fit better.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 05:12 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota1014 View Post
Hello! I am planning a move within the next couple years, yes I will be visiting first, and I'm hoping you all can help me choose the right town. Please do not respond with sarcastic comments, thank you!

I have traveled around and lived in quite a few states already with most of my time spent in CO, CA, and NC. I love grey skies and gloomy days, rain and snow. I may be one of the very few people who dislike hot sunny days and spend that time indoors waiting for the clouds to come out. I have mainly been focusing my research in the cities in Olympic Peninsula, although I am open to other areas and even states, perhaps Oregon? I do enjoy small towns, I currently live in one. As such, I have taken a liking to Forks, I also love the close proximity it has to the beach and to the forest. All that I can find of this town is Twilight based, I haven't read the books or seen the movies, and would love real information about the town. I'm a bar tender and I work from home, graphic design. I loved hiking, camping, and boating in CO.

-I am curious to know how much humidity there is there. Is it anything like NC humidity or is it 'dry' like CO?

The Olympic Peninsula is not nearly as dry as CO, not even in summer when western WA is sunniest and least prone to precipitation. My husband and I lived in the Olympic rain shadow for a few years, CO for decades, and the two aren't even close in dryness. However, the summer is not usually humid, either, not like the eastern US.

-I am aware that it rains quite often, but I am interested in knowing how frequent thunderstorms are, with loud thunder and lighting. I have a dog who is fine with pouring rain as long as its not accompanied by loud thunder. I wonder if he would be better off not joining me on this move if there are frequent thunderstorms.

We had exactly ONE thunderstorm during the years we lived on the Olympic Peninsula. CO's topography and mid-continental location make part of it a hotbed of summer afternoon t-storms (and sometimes winter thundersnow, which is pretty cool to observe!). That one storm got me so excited at seeing "action" that I was actually disappointed when it fizzled out to nothing more than broody clouds, gusts, and a brief light rainshower. No deafening thunderclaps overhead, no sizzling electricity in the air, no torrents of cold water dumping down. That stuff just isn't frequent there.

-I'm also wondering how walkable and/or bikeable the town is? I currently don't have a car because I live close to our main street in which all the mom/pop shops are located. I don't mind attaining a car if I live in a very small or rural area but if I live in a suburb or city I would take buses or other forms of transportation.

Someone from Forks can answer this better than I can. There are no suburbs in the northern Olympic Peninsula, but maybe farther south???? Buses do run in Clallam, Jefferson, and Kitsap Counties, though their schedules will not have frequent runs like big cities do.

-Another question I had, although obviously not a deal breaker either way, was about bugs. More specifically fleas and ticks. How prevalent are they in WA? I currently cannot even take my dogs potty in the yard closest to the house as they come back with the little buggers each time. Its really an extreme annoyance that I haven't had to experience in CO or CA before.

Fleas exist there. Probably ticks, too. We never had problems with our dogs, but we kept them on leash and on trail/sidewalk whenever walking. If you let yours run into fields and woods, bug contact will be much more likely.

I would love to hear opinions or advice any would like to share with me. I did aim these questions towards Forks, but I am open to other cities in or outside of Olympic Peninsula or even in other states that may fit better.
Thank you!
The biggest problem you are likely to have is employment, unless you move to the larger cities such as Olympia. Forks is an old logging town. None of the other northern Olympic Peninsula towns is exactly a hot jobs center.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:45 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,579 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The biggest problem you are likely to have is employment, unless you move to the larger cities such as Olympia. Forks is an old logging town. None of the other northern Olympic Peninsula towns is exactly a hot jobs center.
There is a huge variation in climate within the peninsula. Forks gets the most rain, 121", while Sequim gets the least, 16". Both have plenty of opportunities for outdoor recreation, as long as you don't mind getting wet, Forks is close to the ocean, Sequim is on the Bay. Besides the lack of employment, or bperhaps because of it, Forks does have more crime. If you can work from home, you will also find Forks to be less expensive for housing, but for major shopping and entertainment it's a long drive to Port Angeles.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:21 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
If you're moving to Forks, WA, plan on buying at least a 2017 Chevy Spark ta stay tuned in to Android Auto or Apple Car Play and cruise to area atttractions. I've lived in Forks before. Early 1980's Forks. The Olympic Peninsula is beautiful - gorgeous - National Parks gorgeous. Just bring your car - buses are not abundant in Forks. Go to the Three Rivers Resort in Quilleute for a Three Rivers Burger - it's really delicious. It is made of area elk and beef mixed together. It was one of the best burgers I've ever had.

If you like hiking you are going to be in heaven. I recommend the three beach hikes at La Push. You'll go from just west of the car parking lot west to the Pacific Ocean. Very cool hike. There are plenty of hikes in the woods all around Forks - I thinned trees in a U.S. Forest Service contract back in 1983. Gorgeous views can be had once you can get to a clearing. One fine morning I put my 22" chainsaw down and looked west towards Seattle. I saw a mountain that I thought was Mt. Olympus but later, from looking at maps, was Mt. Carrie. The Olympic Peninsula will be yours and all to yourself to explore. Go move to Forks - I liked it but, ya now how it goes, I worked at the local print shop, then out in the woods thinning trees. I was fortunate ta come out of the woods with all of my limbs intact and my head basically the same as it was before I started thinning trees for the U.S. Forest Service.

I recommend you give Forks a try. The people are extremely old-school and patriotic. Keep your radical views quiet and walk those dogs - you'll be glad you moved there. Jobs are very scarce and they won't trust you much. Just shut your mouth and take it. Your reward will be when you're out and about enjoying the landscape and views. When you catch one of Mt. Olympus you'll be rewarded with such beauty you'll realize why you're out west like you are. Enjoy.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:46 PM

7 posts, read 9,292 times
Thank you all so much! This was all wonderful information. I do have a few more questions now, however.

-How bad is the crime in Forks? Is it more thefts or violent crimes?
-I understand it is a small town so it will be hard to make friends etc., but are you saying the locals are impolite to newcomers? Does it just take time to be 'accepted' as a town member?

Old 03-27-2017, 05:10 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
There are a number of past threads on Forks - do a search here to find them. They all still apply - Forks hasn't changed much.

Jobs will be much more available in Port Angeles.

Oregon? Try Astoria. Eastern Oregon: La Grande.

Astoria, Oregon, Discovers a Waterfront Chic - The New York Times

http://www.motherearthnews.com/natur...n-zmaz06aszraw

Old 03-28-2017, 11:31 AM

576 posts, read 2,260,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota1014 View Post
I do have a few more questions now, however.

-How bad is the crime in Forks? Is it more thefts or violent crimes?
-I understand it is a small town so it will be hard to make friends etc., but are you saying the locals are impolite to newcomers? Does it just take time to be 'accepted' as a town member?
We've spent a fair bit of time in Forks over the past few decades as some of our best friends live there. Crime there tends to be more along the "crimes of opportunity" line rather than of the violent type. If you leave your lawn mower out front by your mailbox and then leave for vacation, it might not be there when you get back sort of thing. Honestly though, I don't think the majority of people who live in Forks worry about locking their homes or their cars if that helps.

Forks is a very small town in a very isolated location. A timber town (think saw mills for cedar shingles) that has seen its share of economic adversity. It's been my observation that people who like living in small, remote locations tend to like being left alone. I think you will find Forks people polite but perhaps "aloof" or "stand offish" to newcomers. Gradually over time you'll make friends, just like anywhere else.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:57 PM

467 posts, read 526,769 times
Keep in mind that the filming of Twilight did not spend one iota of time in Forks.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:02 PM

735 posts, read 871,684 times
If you are not a Twilight fan then how did Forks land on your radar? It's a sad depressed town and no, you should not move there.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:29 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,739,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane917 View Post
Keep in mind that the filming of Twilight did not spend one iota of time in Forks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by perigee View Post
If you are not a Twilight fan then how did Forks land on your radar? It's a sad depressed town and no, you should not move there.
There should be a sticky thread for people coming here thinking of moving to Forks lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington