Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 07:25 PM

8,217 posts, read 16,708,095 times

Advertisements

I've been watching the weather lately and noticing Seattle actually has fewer rainy days than both Portland and Vancouver. Someone in another thread mentioned Seattle is in a rain shadow. However, I've never heard that phrase being applied to Seattle only Sequim and Port Angeles. The funny thing is Seattle is actually showing less rain than them as well over the next 10 days.

I was wondering if this is just a fluke thing as some weather patterns can be very unpredictable. And one set of storms do not represent longer term patterns... or do they?

In looking up some stats online it seems that at least some indicate Seattle gets less rain on average (~ 37"). Is this something which is obvious to the locals or is it so close its too harder to really notice?

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 07:28 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Having lived in both areas, I can say it's six of one, half dozen of the other. Seattle does get a bit less, but it doesn't make all that much difference to the experience of winter.

What does make a difference is that Seattle has shorter days in the winter - we're over 150 miles further north, and it's enough to notice.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
There are so many microclimates in the area due to the ocean, bay, rivers and mountains that you can gain or lose 20” of annual rainfall in 20 minutes drive. Seattle is at about 37”, while here in Sammamish it’s 48”. I often leave home for work with the wipers going and after about Mercer Island it’s dry. Portland is in between at 44”. In the real rain shadow, Sequim is only 16”, less than San Francisco where they get 24” in a typical, non-drought year. We do also get longer days in summer than Portland.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:21 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,245,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I've been watching the weather lately and noticing Seattle actually has fewer rainy days than both Portland and Vancouver. Someone in another thread mentioned Seattle is in a rain shadow. However, I've never heard that phrase being applied to Seattle only Sequim and Port Angeles. The funny thing is Seattle is actually showing less rain than them as well over the next 10 days.

I was wondering if this is just a fluke thing as some weather patterns can be very unpredictable. And one set of storms do not represent longer term patterns... or do they?

In looking up some stats online it seems that at least some indicate Seattle gets less rain on average (~ 37"). Is this something which is obvious to the locals or is it so close its too harder to really notice?

Derek
I've lived in both and I don't think it's something you notice, they both are gray and rainy for months. You'll only feel the difference if you're actually in the rain shadow of Sequim, PA, PT, Oak Harbor.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,742 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Less 'accumulation' (37") is very elevation / terrain dependent on the western side of Cascades.

I am 16 miles from a NOAA Headquarters and I get nearly 3x the annual 'accumulation'. (30'elevation NOAA (37") vs my 1200' elevation (110")). I probably have more 'clear' days than NOAA station (very windy at my location).

The 'rainy days' (overcast with measurable precip) are nearly identical in number (SEA vs PDX), depends on how the winds blow and where the storms are coming from. (jet stream gives Bellingham a few more clear days (than PDX), but slightly cooler average temp.)

Old 03-20-2018, 11:23 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,890,692 times
It is about the same. But as others have stated, there are micro-climates that make precipitation uneven over certain areas. I think the bigger difference is that Portland gets more ice storms due to being in the Columbia Gorge funnel where cold winter air combined with a western front can create this condition at times, especially in the northern part of the metro area.

Portland does average about 1-2 degrees above Seattle year round, more pronounced during summer, somewhat due to the same Columbia River funnel and a slightly lower latitude.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:46 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,877,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post

Derek
I've always heard Seattle is at the peripheral edge of the rain shadow. Depending on winds and intensity of storms, Seattle could experience the rain shadow effects.

For most part, the differences between Seattle and Portland in winter are pretty small. My husband spent a good portion of his life in Vancouver area. Between the 2, he preferred Seattle as he felt Seattle was a tad more moderate. He didn't like the ice storms. I remember he was telling me of an ice storm in the early aughts, where it had froze the 3 inches of snow. He was walking on the top of the snow and it didn't even crack. He's a big guy; at that time, probably around 250lbs. That just doesn't happen in Seattle. It's already hard enough to drive around when there's a snow event, but the ice storms just adds another layer to how difficult it can get. He would wear his golf shoes with the spikes just to get the mail. He also prefers Seattle summers over Portland/Vancouver's.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:10 AM

812 posts, read 1,062,778 times
The "official" location where they measure "Seattle" rainfall is in a dry micro-climate and gives a false impression of what goes on in most of the Puget Sound region.

I lived in the area for 31 years and have always been a bit of a weather geek, including tracking at my own house in Kirkland with a rain gauge and paying attention to the surrounding area for hiking.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:54 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,940,353 times
I love a rainy night

Old 03-21-2018, 12:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,742 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom52 View Post
The "official" location where they measure "Seattle" rainfall is in a dry micro-climate and gives a false impression of what goes on in most of the Puget Sound region.
Likewise the long range weather forecasts in the PNW we_tside often show 'chance of sun' in the 7-10 day (even a slight chance will give you a ray of hope...) Winter 'Sun' rarely happens, but a glimpse of hope is a nice thought and gets you through the day(s) / weeks / months.

In my arid locations in USA, it is optimistic for weather forecasters to show a slight chance of rain in the 7-10 day (it brings more 'daily viewers' to the news network...). Rain (though critically needed for crops) seldom comes, unless I hitch a cloud to the tail of the aircraft when I leave the PNW.

PNW short range forecast is becoming very accurate (with the additional tracking of weather via aircraft, "real -time" similar to google traffic). If I am trying to get firewood under cover and there is rain predicted for afternoon... I best have it under cover by 11:59AM.

What I find strange is the PNW precip often happens when the sun is supposed to come out. In my arid climates (CO, NE, TX, SD) the precip comes at night and often disappears / stops at dawn (I am a farmer, so I prefer "night shift rain!") .

One thing is certain... in PNW, an office / indoor job RULES... during the winter (evening shift teaching college (summers off May through Sept) is probably best gig). I really dislike construction tasks during the winter... digging and forming and pouring concrete. The worst was installing underground utilities / always caked in MUD, always wet and slimy / falling into trenches, From dawn till dark (thank goodness the mid-winter days are only 8 hrs long). Farming on the we_tside is pretty sad too, as is livestock health (hoof rot, matting coats, worms....)

But... if you have ANY 'required' outdoor chores or activities (replacing roof, painting, building ponds, fences, houses, putting up hay (while the sun shines), orcharding, commercial berries.... your summer 'free-time' will be very restricted.)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-21-2018 at 02:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington