Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 07:41 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times

Advertisements

I noted that this site keeps an up to date tracking of infections under their red banner.

Washington has dropped to #4 in the US with the most cases. Not to say this is great news, because it isn't. But perhaps there is a slowing? I'm no expert, but this could be a positive sign. On the other hand, it could be the States that have bypassed WA are all larger in population, thus the larger numbers, and/or the amount of testing.

//www.city-data.com/coronavirus/

Last edited by pnwguy2; 03-25-2020 at 07:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 08:03 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I noted that this site keeps an up to date tracking of infections under their red banner.

Washington has dropped to #4 in the US with the most cases. Not to say this is great news, because it isn't. But perhaps there is a slowing? I'm no expert, but this could be a positive sign. On the other hand, it could be the States that have bypassed WA are all larger in population, thus the larger numbers, and/or the amount of testing.

I was wondering about that too. We actually are doing quite a bit of testing now compared to other states.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:16 PM

3,693 posts, read 2,413,270 times
Quote:

I hope it's slowing.

Perhaps people's awareness and behavior with more distancing is slowing it.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Today's daily rate of confirmed cases in WA dropped from +11% (normal rate for last several weeks) to +4%.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_c...hington_(state)

But we need data as to the actual collection of information, and a continued downturn to understand if these numbers are real.
Germany, S Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong, China have proven... Test early, test often, lock down the positives.
https://www.npr.org/2020/03/25/82059...ther-countries

Please do your part!
Much of the US does not 'Get it'. , so they have a much higher risk of GETTING IT!

Old 03-26-2020, 05:21 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:

In absolute number of cases, states with higher populations are going to eventually have more cases than WA. That is what we are seeing now with NY and CA. They simply have more people that can be infected. NY is getting hit particularly hard because of the density of NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Today's daily rate of confirmed cases in WA dropped from +11% (normal rate for last several weeks) to +4%.

But we need data as to the actual collection of information, and a continued downturn to understand if these numbers are real.
Germany, S Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong, China have proven... Test early, test often, lock down the positives.

Please do your part!
Much of the US does not 'Get it'. , so they have a much higher risk of GETTING IT!
All true. It is simply too early, with too little data, to cheer over a mere 4% rise. That could be a blip in reporting function, an anomaly for many other reasons. We need to analyze trends over weeks and months, not simply days.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:45 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,425 times
Quote:

Please do your part!
This.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:58 AM

2,911 posts, read 1,360,344 times
Quote:

I think that city-data is getting their information from here, the Washington State Department of Health coronavirus page: https://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/Coronavirus

It's updated daily and has the cases broken down into numbers per county with clickable links to each county's health department coronavirus page.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:38 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:

Yeah, OP, part of it has to do with the fact that NYC is exploding with cases now. You could look up WA State/coronavirus, to see if the rate of new cases is slowing, but honestly, I don't think whatever stats you find would be too meaningful, because there's still a shortage of tests available, even in WA, and test-processing locations are backed up, so it's a situation where, all we know officially is how much we don't know.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:19 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Quote:

Please do your part!
Germany? They have more a lot more cases per capita than the US.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:27 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
"Test early, test often"? We can't even get enough tests for the people who are sick! And our testing staff can't get the protective equipment they need, not to mention the ICU staff. How are we going to "test early, test often"? We need a President who's on board with the recommended measures and with using his powers to help medical staff get the gear they need to protect themselves, to test patients, and to effectively treat patients. Our leadership isn't on board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington