Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 08:02 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times

Advertisements

As the map shows clearly it is the Columbia basin in Eastern Wa. Not even close, as we have experienced more than a month with just a trace of precipitation (not good).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2021, 04:10 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
While I haven't seen the numbers, I would imagine Oregon has a pretty similar spread from its drier eastern parts to the western side.

Ok, did a quick search and Dallas, Oregon gets 139" and Laurel Mountain near it gets 150". Then Fields, OR only gets 6.55". So, its pretty close to WA and it feels similar when traveling from east through the Cascades and then out west. California is a whole different beast from the lowest to the highest points. But nothing compares to the rains of the PNW. And I had never heard of Gasquet. But it turns out its right on the boarder of Oregon. So, I guess not so surprising there.

As far as other states, IDK. Western US seems much more diverse geographically than the east coast. Maybe Alaska? Is there anything dry in Alaska?

Derek
You sure about that number for Dallas? This site shows it way less than that. https://wrcc.dri.edu/Climate/west_coop_summaries.php

I like looking for the wettest spots. Of course, one can also seek out driest stations. Quinault ranger station looks to be wettest in Washington at 131 while Valsetz, Oregon area is 128.

In Alaska, Ketchikan is 153+. Whittier is 197. Wettest station of all is Little Port Walter in SE at 229.

Lots of dry places in Alaska too. Kotzebue is under 10 inches of precipitation for the year and Utqiagvik (Barrow) under 5! (Very cold though).

Old 05-14-2021, 07:43 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
You sure about that number for Dallas? This site shows it way less than that. https://wrcc.dri.edu/Climate/west_coop_summaries.php

I like looking for the wettest spots. Of course, one can also seek out driest stations. Quinault ranger station looks to be wettest in Washington at 131 while Valsetz, Oregon area is 128.

In Alaska, Ketchikan is 153+. Whittier is 197. Wettest station of all is Little Port Walter in SE at 229.

Lots of dry places in Alaska too. Kotzebue is under 10 inches of precipitation for the year and Utqiagvik (Barrow) under 5! (Very cold though).
Yeah, I'm seeing variety of readings also depending on years, range, station, etc.... However, the differential is still great in Oregon as the below heatmap shows. There are places that approach 200 inches near the coastal range.

"Precipitation in the state varies widely: some western coastal slopes approach 200 inches (5,100 mm) annually, while the driest places, such as the Alvord Desert (in the rain shadow of Steens Mountain) in eastern Oregon, get as little as 5 inches (130 mm).[2][3]" -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climat...%20(130%20mm).

Derek

Old 05-16-2021, 08:16 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'm seeing variety of readings also depending on years, range, station, etc.... However, the differential is still great in Oregon as the below heatmap shows. There are places that approach 200 inches near the coastal range.

"Precipitation in the state varies widely: some western coastal slopes approach 200 inches (5,100 mm) annually, while the driest places, such as the Alvord Desert (in the rain shadow of Steens Mountain) in eastern Oregon, get as little as 5 inches (130 mm).[2][3]" -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climat...%20(130%20mm).

Derek
I love this kind of map. It might be quite helpful for locating the driest places to live in Washington too, on topic for original post. One must know their geography well though. For Washington and Oregon, all I know is that the very highest rainfall, dark colored areas are certainly at higher elevations where no one lives.

I posted a similar map in the weather section a long time ago for my region of Alaska. Some higher, uninhabited spots show over 300-450 inches! http://www.city-data.com/forum/weath...ation-map.html

Old 05-17-2021, 12:01 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Dallas OR does not come close to 139 inches per year, but it does average higher than nearby Salem or Corvallis due to being closer to the coast and still in the foothills of the coast range. My guess would be closer to 42-48 inches annually.

Old 05-17-2021, 01:11 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Dallas OR does not come close to 139 inches per year, but it does average higher than nearby Salem or Corvallis due to being closer to the coast and still in the foothills of the coast range. My guess would be closer to 42-48 inches annually.
Yes, you're right. I looked at the graph again and it turns out I had taken the rainy day measurement vs. rainfall in inches.

Derek

Old 05-19-2021, 02:01 PM

861 posts, read 1,061,614 times
I've been pleasantly surprised at going from 60+ inches on the OR coast, to just 25 inches here in Oak Harbor.

Old 05-23-2021, 05:41 PM

314 posts, read 486,868 times
I would guess somewhere like Vantage or Desert Aire. I'm in Garfield County and while we are semi-arid, we get more precipitation (particularly snow I think) more than they do. Central Washington is flat and in a direct rain shadow. Eastern WA has hills at least. "Sunny Sequim" probably gets more than a few places east of the Cascades so if it was only Western WA, they would win.

Old 05-23-2021, 05:49 PM

314 posts, read 486,868 times
Quote:
It's interesting when you view it from the heat map. Sequim is a little tip of drier climate on the map. While I think most knew that, the graphic illustrates the rain shadow and also that Seattle is drier than other parts of WWA. From Vancouver one doesn't have to travel too far to experience the full range heading up the Gorge. The change in climate and geography is pretty stark when one drives up the Columbia heading east. The Olympic Peninsula has it all as well. Lastly, look how rainy the coast is. This isn't anything like beachfront property further south. But man is it beautiful to visit on a nice day.

Derek
I like this map. I think it really shows how dry Central Washington usually is (this year being no exception). It also shows that Seattle is hardly the wettest city in the state. I lived in Cannon Beach, Or for 2.5 years (2 winters) before moving to Stanwood/Camano for 5.5 and it was night and day. In Clatsop County it starts raining at the beginning of October and DOES NOT STOP until March. You might have three or four days all winter where it doesn't rain at all and maybe a strong windstorm in Nov/Dec. In the North Sound in WA, it rains all the time, but you might have a few days in a row atleast one week a month where you don't have rain but just clouds. It was like moving from tropical Brazil to the Sahara by comparision. Of course in an Oceanic climate you will still get varying amounts of rainfall, but it was quite telling. I'd laugh at Seattleites complaining about precipitation. Still more than California but nothing like the stereotype.

Old 05-25-2021, 03:45 PM

658 posts, read 1,335,167 times
Quote:
It's interesting when you view it from the heat map. Sequim is a little tip of drier climate on the map. While I think most knew that, the graphic illustrates the rain shadow and also that Seattle is drier than other parts of WWA. From Vancouver one doesn't have to travel too far to experience the full range heading up the Gorge. The change in climate and geography is pretty stark when one drives up the Columbia heading east. The Olympic Peninsula has it all as well. Lastly, look how rainy the coast is. This isn't anything like beachfront property further south. But man is it beautiful to visit on a nice day.

Derek
What is that map source? Its a good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington