Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2021, 06:33 PM

3 posts, read 2,824 times

Advertisements

Hello we're excited about moving to Walla Walla in August. Our most important priority is that our son makes it through his next year in high school with success. He CAN make As in demanding classes and he can catch up on content- he got an A in Spanish II this last semester but failed the online Spanish I the semester before (fall 2020).

I haven't seen much info comparing the two high schools. We are looking for teachers who (still) care and want to help students achieve. Teachers who can explain things in different ways to different students and teachers who are approachable and not grumpy about questions. My son has always done well in math but last yr was tough on two counts.

Maybe younger faculty? We have a 16 yr old who just failed Alg II, in part bcs Alg I was online. In part bcs his math teacher just didn't care - and didn't even coordinate with Sylvan Learning Center bcs it took planning.

(1) What high school, teachers or tutoring programs should we try so that he has the best chance for success? Are there counselors that are better at one HS or another to work with us? For ex he passed with C 10th grade English this yr but earned an F in online 9th English last yr. So will he be in a Freshman instead of in a Junior English class? I guess, I'm just looking for the HS that has heart and that will go the extra mile to help those pre covid C students, get back on track to graduate. If he hears he'll be 20 before he graduates, he'll just give up. He could already pass the GED, but I'd prefer he stay in high school.

We also have a 11 yr old starting middle school. And I would like to move to an area where she and her brother could use bus transportation safely for after-school activities, tutoring, etc. As my new job isn't flexible and us 9-5. She wants to play volleyball or dance after-school.

(2) How is the bus? Safe enough for older kids to ride in a group?

Housing Budget: $1850/ mo to rent including all utilities or possibly $220k to buy.

Lastly, it looks like we'll need two incomes in Walla Walla. As there's not much in our budget for 3 bdrm. My sig. other is looking for work in adult education or museum management as that's his work experience/education. But he's open to anything where being partially blind (no DL - also needs bus) won't be an issue. Often schools, or places of State employment can make the minor accommodations he needs.

(3) Any suggestions on where to look for work for him would be great. He ran a planetarium and science summer camps in Tampa for 15 yrs. He got 90% thrift a degree in special Ed but his vision kept from being able to manage a classroom with kids. He's interested and has recently taken classes in adult education to finish his degree, specifically for immigrants, to help them settle, learn English, work towards citizenship and more. Looking for work first, but volunteer opportunities would be great too.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2021, 09:49 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
High School? Why bother.... WA offers "Running Start". Free college instead to HS (since 1993) can get an AA and enter university as a full Jr. No High School required.(or desired for the social pian of being new to a community). Just go direct to college and avoid the ineffective,, drama, and pain of public schools.

Must test early for Running Start, so look into it for your area.

Sig O employment... There is a very good network of community / adult / and ESL education. Work up a resume / portfolio and get some informational interviews set up with agencies. There are likely community outreach programs at the colleges who could use extra help. Volunteer working into a paid position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington