Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2023, 03:57 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
I sincerely hope this was tongue-in-cheek.
Well, yes, of course. We're not gonna bring ole' Arnold to WA. But its the idea of a more moderate or what some hardliners would even consider 'liberal' Republican who thinks about more than raising hell on twitter and the typical polar extremes we're getting lately. Let's face it, neither left nor right want someone legislating 'their brand' of morality down their throats. So, maybe both sides need to take a fricken step back from all those pet agendas and find some middle ground where we can get some actual work done for all.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2023, 06:24 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,272,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Well, yes, of course. We're not gonna bring ole' Arnold to WA. But its the idea of a more moderate or what some hardliners would even consider 'liberal' Republican who thinks about more than raising hell on twitter and the typical polar extremes we're getting lately. Let's face it, neither left nor right want someone legislating 'their brand' of morality down their throats. So, maybe both sides need to take a fricken step back from all those pet agendas and find some middle ground where we can get some actual work done for all.

Derek
But that's not how politics works. The kooks like Trump and AOC get way more publicity than those lowly moderates who actually think like most of us.

Old 05-05-2023, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
You don't understand.

These were public fire emergencies. People's homes were burning down.

Jay thought it fine to not tell the public what was going on as they were losing their homes. The Incident Commander did tell Jay that he was sharing ALL the fire information with the public.
So Jay was going for the cover up for whatever political reasons during the moment.

Good for the Commander. Hopefully he didn't get fired for speaking the truth.

Derek

Old 05-06-2023, 08:12 AM

335 posts, read 422,043 times
The second a Republican opens his (and it will be a him) mouth about pro-life, he's rightfully done for. For all the talk of small government, the Republicans are on a tear of intruding the government in peoples' private affairs. Not even just abortion, but there's talk of getting rid of no-fault divorce. Unless a Republican comes out firmly on the correct side of things (defending abortion, allowing women to divorce abusive men (and vice versa)), then they're dead in the water.

And for all the talk of "tax and spend liberals," why is it always the R's that cut taxes on the wealthy, completely forget the middle class, and inflate the deficit?

Old 05-06-2023, 09:57 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Quote:
So Jay was going for the cover up for whatever political reasons during the moment.

Good for the Commander. Hopefully he didn't get fired for speaking the truth.

Derek
He didn't work for the state of Washington. That is the good thing about todays fire teams.

Hillary Franz the Lands Commissioner would make a good governor for a Democrat.

I thought she would be a total disaster in the mold of Goldmark. I do not agree with all her positions but she knows how to run a government agency and would probably do a pretty decent job of running the state from a liberal perspective.

I was not impressed with Yassar Affrats viewpoints, but the one time I ran into him on a fire. He was great. Knew his role as Governor and did not mess with the firefighting.

Those were the days when the 55 mph speed limit was enforced in eastern Washington, but not western Washington. So when Yassar came over the divide he drove fast and the State Patrol pulled him over and gave him tickets. He just paid them. Jay travels on the state plane. All you need to know about those two.

It would be interesting to hear more about Hillary Franz and her political thoughts on other issues besides land management.

She passes my threshold requirement about having basic intelligence no matter her the political leanings.

Old 05-06-2023, 10:17 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Quote:
So, bring on an Arnold type conservative who is more middle of road and cares about other things like the environment as well as a fiscal conservative and you've got yourself a prospect. k
The "so-called" environmental groups have done MORE to destroy the environment in the past 30 years than the corporations. Sort of a role reversal and at some point, even the media will have to report on the carnage in our natural world due to environmentalism.

That will not sit well with voters.

Few notes....destruction of 1.5 million acres of shrub-steppe habitat in Washington, Oregon and Idaho for unneeded Industrial Solar and Wind Areas.

90 million acres of wildlands burned in the US since 1990 as a result of environmental lawsuits and policies.

20% of the Giant Sequoia's over six feet in the ENTIRE world killed by wildfires, and after that the environmentalists SUE the National Park Service as it tries to save Mariposa Grove in Yosemite National Park.

30,000 union jobs gone and the Spotted Owl headed for extinction. Hey, it is a tough choice, but pick one or the other. What is the point of destroying both jobs and the Spotted Owl??

Conversion of our National Forests into National Brush Fields. First time since the National Forests were founded, tree growth is NEGATIVE we are burning MORE TREES than we are growing. Oh, we are not harvesting trees!!! Nope, rather spend taxpayer monies burning them down.

The list goes on and on, but after 50 years of working on environmental problems my take is we need to save the earth from the environmentalists.

Old 05-06-2023, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
He didn't work for the state of Washington. That is the good thing about todays fire teams.

Hillary Franz the Lands Commissioner would make a good governor for a Democrat.

I thought she would be a total disaster in the mold of Goldmark. I do not agree with all her positions but she knows how to run a government agency and would probably do a pretty decent job of running the state from a liberal perspective.

I was not impressed with Yassar Affrats viewpoints, but the one time I ran into him on a fire. He was great. Knew his role as Governor and did not mess with the firefighting.

Those were the days when the 55 mph speed limit was enforced in eastern Washington, but not western Washington. So when Yassar came over the divide he drove fast and the State Patrol pulled him over and gave him tickets. He just paid them. Jay travels on the state plane. All you need to know about those two.

It would be interesting to hear more about Hillary Franz and her political thoughts on other issues besides land management.

She passes my threshold requirement about having basic intelligence no matter her the political leanings.
Hilary Franz looks interesting. I'm not as concerned with blue or red as am with what they stand for along with their track record. It's difficult for a candidate from either side to do the right thing regarding forests, toxic spills into our waterways and natural habitats, etc... She seems to really be listening to fire fighters and attempting to address forest fires.

I think politicians from both sides have a hard to doing the right thing for the environment due to their constituents, donors, special interests, etc.... If a big corporation is donating millions to their campaign, how do they tell them not to dump cr@p into the environment vs. look the other way? There are many issues and some of them are complex due to socioeconomic factors tied to the environment. Man's footprint usually ends up being destructive when left to their own devices and selfish interests. That includes over fishing and polluting it. Preserving the environment for future generations, if not tied to short-term financial gains, becomes a much lower priority.

As WA continues to grow, it needs to do so responsibly. Urban planning with an eye to the future vs. immediate profits is very important. We're already seeing crazy growth in parts of the state like here in Clark County with subpar planning, poor infrastructure that doesn't support the growth, lack of greenspaces with all the cookie cutter developments going in. Clearcutting to cram in more homes. If real estate moguls are given free reign, they will not just do the right thing. That includes developing in highly fire prone areas. CA is suffering from the fallout of those decisions with so many homes burned and lives lost. it's like building in a lava flow path or flood zone. There needs to be oversight along with responsible planning as development continues.

Derek

Old 05-07-2023, 08:51 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,735,161 times
I had reservations about Franz with her coming from an environmental group, but she seems to have been managing things a bit better than Oregon and California(seems like we have a bit more logging and a bit less of it burning up). Trees have a finite life, log responsibly or we get too much dry dead stuff and it all burns, endangered animals too. Clear cut though, and we get landslides and endanger wildlife habitat. It's a balancing act.
It would be nice to get the air force involved in the fire fighting. So many cargo planes that could be used to dump water, sitting, while everything burns.

Old 05-09-2023, 09:39 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contract Jack View Post
Dino Rossi came within a handful of votes of the governor's mansion in 2004.

The D-R split occurred long ago, but the Republicans have lost much of their clout and relevance in the state over the last twenty years.

That is part of why Inslee could stay in office for so long - he is now effectively running a one party state.
True, we have not had a republican governor here since John Spellman, 1981-85. There is just not enough population east of the mountains to overcome King, Pierce and Snohomish county voters. One would hope that the current trend in crime and homelessness would tip the scales a bit, but not so far. We hear everyone complaining but then the elections continue to turn out the same.

Even in California, since 1981 there have been 3 Republican governors, Deukmejian, Wilson, and Schwarzenegger, before that Ronald Reagan. Hmm, maybe what we need is a Republican Celebrity from our state, how about Chris Pratt?

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-kno...an-than-it-is/

Old 05-09-2023, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
True, we have not had a republican governor here since John Spellman, 1981-85. There is just not enough population east of the mountains to overcome King, Pierce and Snohomish county voters. One would hope that the current trend in crime and homelessness would tip the scales a bit, but not so far. We hear everyone complaining but then the elections continue to turn out the same.

Even in California, since 1981 there have been 3 Republican governors, Deukmejian, Wilson, and Schwarzenegger, before that Ronald Reagan. Hmm, maybe what we need is a Republican Celebrity from our state, how about Chris Pratt?

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-kno...an-than-it-is/
I wonder if WA holds the record for the longest streak of Dems in the governorship in recent history? While OR and WA sometimes blame CA for it's liberal influence, it seems they are much more one-sided, died-in-the-wool Blue all the way back to the 80s.

Not sure if we need another celebrity. But the general populous seems to love them at least on the Republican side. While I understood the appeal of Reagan and Arnold, I could never see it with Trump. I think many loved that brash, loud, obnoxious in your face New Yorker personality type along with all the drama, tweets, etc... That brand of America that tells you where stick it if you don't like it. But that personality would not go over well in WA. By contrast, a Reagan, Terminator or Pratt type conservative would likely be popular. Just not Sarah Palin or Ted Cruz. lol

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 05-09-2023 at 05:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington