Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2019, 07:44 PM

1,195 posts, read 986,807 times

Advertisements

The ferndale library is nice and open. Also open on sunday. I like the area when you consider its not just Bellingham. There's the rural outskirts and places people to get away to, especially in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 06:11 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,736,177 times
I have a relative that is retiring and closing up a shop in downtown Bellingham. The pop machine kept getting broken into so they had it removed, tons of needles behind and under it, yuck.
Looking forward to the rumored re-development of the downtown waterfront, it could be so much better instead of a shoot-up and pass-out camp for the homeless.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:15 AM

Bellingham isn't a safe place to walk after dark. I feel safe anywhere else outside of Bellingham at night.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:38 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,940,251 times
I'm sorry, I guess it's all relative, but this commentary is getting ridiculous. I own a house in the middle of town, my wife and I walk or ride my bike in or near downtown every day- and not only is it safe- but it is literally what we enjoy doing the most. My neighborhood and many other neighborhoods in Bellingham are filled with more walkers and bikers than any other place that I've lived in, including popular cities in CO, NC, and FL. Also, compared to anywhere else I've lived- the few shady or homeless people who you see are limited to a relatively small area that you can easily avoid. And there aren't even anything I'd refer to as bad neighborhoods anywhere around here.

You'd think Bellingham was some zombie apocalypse from the way it's being described on some of these threads, when the complete opposite is true. "Not a safe place to walk after dark?" Generalize much? You'd have to try pretty hard to find a place that's dangerous. Many of the neighborhoods in town-especially those near Fairhaven or Downtown- are in very high demand from tourists, renters, and especially perspective buyers from multiple demographics- retirees and young professionals- precisely because they are safe, and within easy walking and biking distance from amenities. Look at listings or talk to a realtor and they'll quickly confirm what I'm saying.

I'll be glad to take anyone on a walk around downtown and show them our experience on any given evening. Any little run down or industrial areas (like those in any other city) are easily avoidable if you know your way around, and in no way outweigh the positives.

Bellingham has some urban attributes and occasional feels like a bigger city-and I get it if someone doesn't like cities and/or prefers smaller towns. But to make it out to sound so unsafe and dangerous to walk around is absurd, especially when safety and bike/walkability are actually one of the main reasons so many people want to be here.

Last edited by bartonizer; 08-02-2019 at 06:13 AM..

Old 08-02-2019, 01:46 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,736,177 times
We have an ongoing conversation among family and friends up here. "Would you walk from the east end of Holly St. to the church at Holly and Broadway at night?" Only one said yes because they carry at all times. I still wouldn't.

The crime, violence, disease, needles, and trash resulting from the homeless/druggie issues seem to be on the mend somewhat due to public outcry...and it's election time for our local officials....so we'll see how it plays out.

I have little faith in Realtors, of course realtors would confirm it.....they sugar coat everything.....even 100 year old "charmer" homes full of dry rot on foundations that are slowly sinking into the empty coal mineshafts that run all over under the west side of town.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:51 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,487,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
I'm sorry, I guess it's all relative, but this commentary is getting ridiculous. I own a house in the middle of town, my wife and I walk or ride my bike in or near downtown every day- and not only is it safe- but it is literally what we enjoy doing the most. My neighborhood and many other neighborhoods in Bellingham are filled with more walkers and bikers than any other place that I've lived in, including popular cities in CO, NC, and FL. Also, compared to anywhere else I've lived- the few shady or homeless people who you see are limited to a relatively small area that you can easily avoid. And there aren't even anything I'd refer to as bad neighborhoods anywhere around here.

You'd think Bellingham was some zombie apocalypse from the way it's being described on some of these threads, when the complete opposite is true. "Not a safe place to walk after dark?" Generalize much? You'd have to try pretty hard to find a place that's dangerous. Many of the neighborhoods in town-especially those near Fairhaven or Downtown- are in very high demand from tourists, renters, and especially perspective buyers from multiple demographics- retirees and young professionals- precisely because they are safe, and within easy walking and biking distance from amenities. Look at listings or talk to a realtor and they'll quickly confirm what I'm saying.

I'll be glad to take anyone on a walk around downtown and show them our experience on any given evening. Any little run down or industrial areas (like those in any other city) are easily avoidable if you know your way around, and in no way outweigh the positives.

Bellingham has some urban attributes and occasional feels like a bigger city-and I get it if someone doesn't like cities and/or prefers smaller towns. But to make it out to sound so unsafe and dangerous to walk around is absurd, especially when safety and bike/walkability are actually one of the main reasons so many people want to be here.
Ask the family of our friend Donny Anderson who was stabbed 37 times while walking near his home near Meadow Avenue during daylight how safe it is. Or, the person this transient punched in the face or the man that suffered a brain bleed from being knocked to the sidewalk by the same man.

I grew up here; it used to be safe. We currently live in a rural area where car prowls and property theft are becoming common. An LEO friend of mine said that Bellingham police have their hands tied similar to Seattle.

Quit promoting Bellingham. It is not as you describe it. You must be in real estate or hav3 a business depending on population growth.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:03 AM

The good side of Bellingham being sketchy is how home prices have a lower ceiling. I think they are now at 2016 prices.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
The good side of Bellingham being sketchy is how home prices have a lower ceiling. I think they are now at 2016 prices.
Bellingham is sketchy? Puhhhleeeeze. Aren't you from Gastonia? That is way more dangerous than Bellingham, and every city in NC or the east coast has much larger areas within them that you'd never even venture into, and you're afraid of Bellingham because there are some homeless people in a small industrial area between the downtown and the marina? I'm now convinced that some people just don't like somewhat urban places. I prefer the vibrance of a slightly larger place, and we get that here.

Seriously- come visit my neighborhood, or any of the core neighborhoods in Bellingham. We can walk, bike, push strollers, to cafes, beer gardens, restaurants, parks- whatever you'd like. Again, if you don't like cities, fine. But don't trash mine because you prefer smaller towns.

Old 08-07-2019, 11:12 AM

499 posts, read 471,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
Ha--don't I wish! (I'd look for another property.) In March 2016, the median home price in Bellingham was $340,000. As of July 2019, the median home price was $434,000, about 27 percent higher than 2016. Our home value (conservatively) is now roughly 28 percent higher than what we paid in 2016.

Old 08-07-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
Ask the family of our friend Donny Anderson who was stabbed 37 times while walking near his home near Meadow Avenue during daylight how safe it is. Or, the person this transient punched in the face or the man that suffered a brain bleed from being knocked to the sidewalk by the same man.

I grew up here; it used to be safe. We currently live in a rural area where car prowls and property theft are becoming common. An LEO friend of mine said that Bellingham police have their hands tied similar to Seattle.

Quit promoting Bellingham. It is not as you describe it. You must be in real estate or hav3 a business depending on population growth.
It's terrible that someone was murdered, but are you seriously suggesting that murder doesn't occur elsewhere, or that I shouldn't be able to enjoy myself here because a random act of violence took place several years ago?

I am proud of where I live, and as a happy resident (and natural tour guide) OF COURSE I tell my friends and family about it. I want people to visit, and for people I like and love, I'd encourage them to move here.

What kind of prize would you like me to get you for being a native? It's kind of funny-you don't even live here, and seem to hate it. When's the last time you even visited?

Bellingham was a relatively undiscovered, heavily industrial town in a beautiful setting. Those industries have died (and aren't coming back) and it's gentrifying. You and several other posters seem to speak out of both sides of your mouths by pretending it's terrible and yet acting befuddled as to why so many people want to live here and are driving up prices.

Your posts remind me of the neighbor who repetitively tells me how run down and sketchy and stinky my neighborhood USED to be, while simultaneously griping about businesses and homeowners currently making capital improvements (and have made it a much nicer, safer area), because property taxes are going up and there are more people than their used to be. Good grief, pick a lane.

Again, I love Bellingham, as do all of my friends- many of which relocated here and don't want to leave. And you tell me not to promote it? Better question: why don't you stop badmouthing the place you're from? I'm sorry if you think that "being discovered" has ruined it, but most everyone I know feels differently and views it as a highly desirable place to live.

Last edited by bartonizer; 08-07-2019 at 11:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington