Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2019, 07:16 AM

499 posts, read 471,009 times

Advertisements

Scotthomesearch,

I agree with you that other than higher wages, Seattle does not hold much appeal. We owned a condo there from 2012 - 2018 and then sold it to our tenant. Prices have dropped since then and I feel bad for our former tenant, but when we sold it to her she was happy because she had been trying to buy in a market where properties had multiple offers within a day or two, and she did not have to compete with other buyers nor move somewhere else to own a place. I dread going to Seattle, especially the traffic.

This time of year can be very hard on people, with its combination of short days and wet, grey weather. Some folks are more affected than others with seasonal affective disorder. What is it that brought you to Bellingham in the first place? Are you retired or working? If it is just the season that is affecting you, you can try light box therapy, or if you are able, leave for someplace sunny for a while. However, if this has been going on for three months or more, consider whether it could be time to seek some help with depression, as the problems you are having may follow you if you leave Bellingham. I wish you all the best and hope you find a more optimal living situation for yourself. It can be very depressing living in an apartment while you try to sort out a place to set down roots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 12:20 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,733,126 times
I wanted to bump this thread of mine regarding the current coronavirus situation and concerns in Bellingham. In my post I've written of my concern that while the area has grown markedly while our medical care capacity has not. This was mainly my rant about timeliness of receiving care amidst many more people crammed into the same old services here in Bellingham and the inconvenience it causes many. I have visited family or friends at the hospital a handful of times over the last few years and found it to be nearly full or at capacity numerous times when the situation is +/- normal...
With coronavirus now a very real threat and it's infection numbers expanding in the area, we could be shortly faced with an "Italy situation", and the results of our area's stubbornness to accommodate growth resulting in the deaths of hundreds of infected people that were unable to receive care.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:04 AM

104 posts, read 133,426 times
I agree with you and have been wondering what our one hospital has been able to do to prepare for this situation. I haven't seen much in the paper regarding this. BUT... This is NOT just a problem in Whatcom County. This is increasingly, glaringly being shown all over our country.

Whatcom County has had a shortage of pulmonologists (whose expertise in illnesses of the lung will be vital in this crisis). Very difficult to see one here in a timely manner. I tried to schedule an appt with my pulmonologist back in February (knowing what was likely coming with the virus) and was told he was booked until June. They scheduled me to see someone else in late April, however, I received a call last week telling me they would need to cancel that appointment. They are cancelling all non-emergency appointments at this time in preparation for COVID-19 in Whatcom County. I could not reschedule anything for a future date.

I understand the reasons behind this, but I am concerned. I had part of one lung removed due to lung cancer 1 1/2 years ago. I was very lucky that it was caught early and I required nothing apart from surgery - no chemo, radiation. I have regular scans as part of my follow-up and we've been watching a small tumor in the other lung now. It has grown in the past year. I have been going to Seattle to have this monitored at Swedish, but they cancelled all appointments due to the virus, so I had my scan here in Bellingham. My oncologist in Seattle said my next step will be to look into radiation. He said maybe Bellingham can provide what I need (but it doesn't appear they can from what I've researched). He is asking me to wait 12 months though to do anything... he's assuring me the tumor is small and he believes it will remain so over the next year. I know he was also telling me this because he can't do anything in Seattle for me right now. I was hoping I could see my pulmonologist in Bellingham to get their opinion. I was told my Dr. would call last week, but I did not hear from him. I'm not upset; I understand, but this is concerning as we are just in the beginning stages of this here in Whatcom County.

So... As a Whatcom resident I share your concern. I feel very much alone right now - staying isolated at home, ordering groceries online for delivery (and it's getting increasingly more difficult to get a number of items). I'm trying to stay calm, knowing I likely have another cancerous tumor I'd like to have removed.

I saw on the news a young woman in Seattle who was recently diagnosed with colon cancer and scheduled for surgery at Swedish - and the surgery was just cancelled, also due to the virus. She was extremely concerned - which I understand - but I think we are going to see more and more of this. I really feel for the people on the front lines here: our medical providers. My heart broke when I spoke with my oncologist/surgeon in Seattle... He didn't say much, but I could hear the fatigue in his voice already and the fear under it all. They truly need our support.

This not being prepared to handle a medical crisis of this scope is not just a problem in Whatcom County... it's a state-wide / nation-wide problem. I think Whatcom could do a better job of containment though... My personal opinion is that they acted far too slow on closing schools, etc. I'd like to see the County be aggressive and order a shelter in place; Inslee's been too timid with this imo. I believe, unfortunately, that it might be too late.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:06 AM

It's nice to see that people are finally appearing to take this virus more seriously now, traffic is down notably probably 2/3rds less. Parks are closed. I'm in critical manufacturing so still working, we've sent a lot of people home to work from home and closed off all our common areas. Workers eat lunch in their car or go home for lunch. Luckily we have enough hand sanitizer and paper towels to keep the touched items clean in the bathroom so far. This stuff is serious (says my ex that's working at providence), it's comparable to a combination of the Flu and Pneumonia with it being extremely contagious like Norovirus, yet has a longer *symptomless* incubation period during which it is still very contagious. Worse yet, it has a long life on surfaces. So for instance, someone infected coughs into their hand and then touches a doorknob, hours later someone can get infected from that. Unless you absolutely avoid public places (grocery store included), I don't think infection is going to be avoidable unfortunately. I think the best bet we have is slowing the spread such that we stay within capacity to deal with the severe cases that end up in the ICU.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:43 PM

1,195 posts, read 985,569 times
I have overtime now since I work in essential manufacturing. Our lunch room is spaced out and all doors are kept open. Half the workers refuse to come in, I guess they are banking on that federal check and playing video games.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:56 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma4evr View Post
I agree with you and have been wondering what our one hospital has been able to do to prepare for this situation. I haven't seen much in the paper regarding this. BUT... This is NOT just a problem in Whatcom County. This is increasingly, glaringly being shown all over our country.

Whatcom County has had a shortage of pulmonologists (whose expertise in illnesses of the lung will be vital in this crisis). Very difficult to see one here in a timely manner. I tried to schedule an appt with my pulmonologist back in February (knowing what was likely coming with the virus) and was told he was booked until June. They scheduled me to see someone else in late April, however, I received a call last week telling me they would need to cancel that appointment. They are cancelling all non-emergency appointments at this time in preparation for COVID-19 in Whatcom County. I could not reschedule anything for a future date.

I understand the reasons behind this, but I am concerned. I had part of one lung removed due to lung cancer 1 1/2 years ago. I was very lucky that it was caught early and I required nothing apart from surgery - no chemo, radiation. I have regular scans as part of my follow-up and we've been watching a small tumor in the other lung now. It has grown in the past year. I have been going to Seattle to have this monitored at Swedish, but they cancelled all appointments due to the virus, so I had my scan here in Bellingham. My oncologist in Seattle said my next step will be to look into radiation. He said maybe Bellingham can provide what I need (but it doesn't appear they can from what I've researched). He is asking me to wait 12 months though to do anything... he's assuring me the tumor is small and he believes it will remain so over the next year. I know he was also telling me this because he can't do anything in Seattle for me right now. I was hoping I could see my pulmonologist in Bellingham to get their opinion. I was told my Dr. would call last week, but I did not hear from him. I'm not upset; I understand, but this is concerning as we are just in the beginning stages of this here in Whatcom County.

So... As a Whatcom resident I share your concern. I feel very much alone right now - staying isolated at home, ordering groceries online for delivery (and it's getting increasingly more difficult to get a number of items). I'm trying to stay calm, knowing I likely have another cancerous tumor I'd like to have removed.

I saw on the news a young woman in Seattle who was recently diagnosed with colon cancer and scheduled for surgery at Swedish - and the surgery was just cancelled, also due to the virus. She was extremely concerned - which I understand - but I think we are going to see more and more of this. I really feel for the people on the front lines here: our medical providers. My heart broke when I spoke with my oncologist/surgeon in Seattle... He didn't say much, but I could hear the fatigue in his voice already and the fear under it all. They truly need our support.

This not being prepared to handle a medical crisis of this scope is not just a problem in Whatcom County... it's a state-wide / nation-wide problem. I think Whatcom could do a better job of containment though... My personal opinion is that they acted far too slow on closing schools, etc. I'd like to see the County be aggressive and order a shelter in place; Inslee's been too timid with this imo. I believe, unfortunately, that it might be too late.
Peace Health just fired an ER doctor for outing them on their lack of PEP for employees.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...lfxLq_xLhJrxF8

I know a number of medical professionals because of our unrelated small business. A radiologist told me seriously that this was going to be a bad one. He examines lung x-rays all day. His colleagues echoed his assessment.

Old 03-28-2020, 10:04 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
I wanted to bump this thread of mine regarding the current coronavirus situation and concerns in Bellingham. In my post I've written of my concern that while the area has grown markedly while our medical care capacity has not. This was mainly my rant about timeliness of receiving care amidst many more people crammed into the same old services here in Bellingham and the inconvenience it causes many. I have visited family or friends at the hospital a handful of times over the last few years and found it to be nearly full or at capacity numerous times when the situation is +/- normal...
With coronavirus now a very real threat and it's infection numbers expanding in the area, we could be shortly faced with an "Italy situation", and the results of our area's stubbornness to accommodate growth resulting in the deaths of hundreds of infected people that were unable to receive care.
Good point. Is there a reason a second hospital hasn't been built after all this growth, or at least--proposed? Seems like it's about time.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Good point. Is there a reason a second hospital hasn't been built after all this growth, or at least--proposed? Seems like it's about time.
It just comes down to money in my opinion, as right or wrong as that may be. The hospitals financials are public. Because the hospital can't refuse care to anyone they cite that about 20% of patients don't have insurance or means to pay for their procedures. In addition, state provided medical for low income people short pays the hospital for patients using that. St. Joseph did $1.53 Billion in services last year, and lost about $300 million...incidentally, about the same % of loss as the % of patients that don't pay. No reason to set up another hospital so you can lose $600 million instead of $300 million.

Old 06-09-2020, 06:06 PM

Some stats from our very own City Data page on Bellingham, just because no one seems to have read them haha!

#1 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the lowest maximum monthly sunshine amount (population 50,000+)"
#1 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the lowest minimum monthly sunshine amount (population 50,000+)"
#1 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the lowest average sunshine amount (population 50,000+)"
#1 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest average humidity (population 50,000+)"

#23 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the lowest average wind speeds (population 50,000+)"
#29 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in industries: arts, entertainment, and recreation (population 50,000+)"
#30 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: personal care and service occupations (population 50,000+)"
#37 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: education, training, and library occupations (population 50,000+)"
#37 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in industries: educational services (population 50,000+)" #39 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in industries: retail trade (population 50,000+)" #40 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: farming, fishing, and forestry occupations (population 50,000+)"
#41 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most users submitting photos to our site per 10,000 residents (population 50,000+)"
#42 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest maximum monthly morning or afternoon humidity (population 50,000+)" #43 on the list of "Top 100 cities with highest percentage of college students (pop. 50,000+)"
#49 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the smallest differences between daily high and daily low temperatures (population 50,000+)"
#58 on the list of "Top 100 cities with highest ratio of median house value to median household income (pop. 50,000+)" #59 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: sales and related occupations (population 50,000+)"
#59 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in industries: agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (population 50,000+)"
#62 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest number of thefts per 100,000 residents, excludes tourist destinations and others with a lot of outsiders visiting based on city industries data (population 50,000+)"
#65 on the list of "Top 100 cities with strongest arts, entertainment, recreation, accommodation and food services industries (pop. 50,000+)"
#63 (98225) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the most museums in 2005"
#70 (98225) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the smallest percentage of taxpayers using paid preparers for 2012 taxes (pop 5,000+)"
#90 (98225) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the most full service restaurants in 2005"
#7 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest Ozone (1-hour) air pollution readings in 2012 (ppm)"
#8 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest Particulate Matter (PM2.5) Annual air pollution readings in 2012 (µg/m3)"
#42 on the list of "Top 101 counties with highest percentage of residents voting for 3rd party candidates in the 2012 Presidential Election (pop. 50,000+)"

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/city/Belli...ashington.html

Old 06-10-2020, 01:02 AM

1,195 posts, read 985,569 times
Doesn't WWU rank 1 for most liberal university in the US. Or top 10. It's way up there, but doesn't seem so.

They have a peace room where students can go to escape the big bad reality of the real world. There's also a gender inclusive room where men can lactate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington