Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 05:30 PM

30,395 posts, read 52,006,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
The I-5 and SR-67 corridors between Tacoma and Seattle are among the heaviest trafficked corridors during rush hours which go from 7-9:30 am and 3-6:30 pm (at the very least). If you can negotiate those off-rush hours that you mentioned, it wouldn't be so bad. But during rush, anytime you'd need to get south of Tacoma (like your Summit location) from Seattle you'd want to budget over an hour in the car to be safe.

Even though you might be in a position to buy, maybe you should start off renting. Your friend might not like your location requirements, or you might not like your location you picked... much easier to try things out for a year then go from there.
Yes, I will likely rent at first (6-12 months?) to get a lay of the land. My only concern with that is my dogs, as it will be difficult to find a rental suitable & permissible for two large huskies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2024, 05:56 PM

8,220 posts, read 16,727,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, I will likely rent at first (6-12 months?) to get a lay of the land. My only concern with that is my dogs, as it will be difficult to find a rental suitable & permissible for two large huskies.
Absolutely rent first when moving to a new areas like this with all the traffic, differences in neighborhood vibes, personal preferences, etc.... That is unless you have done a ton of research and visit each neighborhood multiple times. How much have you sat in Seattle Tacoma traffic during rush hour or after? It can be as bad as the Bay Area or other really congested metros. So, Diana's recommendation to live as close to work as possible is a good one. Your QOL can be greatly affected by how many hours you spend every day fighting traffic.

If you really want to try living in Seattle first, then yes, rent, rent, rent. Then report back and tell us how hellish (or not) your commute is.

Also, make sure and post specific questions about reserve commutes in the Seattle sub forum. My guess is that traffic will still be backed up, at least to some extend. Though 'off hours' may make it more manageable.

Derek

Old 05-02-2024, 08:55 PM

14,551 posts, read 12,192,089 times
Quote:
For all the people we've helped buy places they've never been to, or have only visited briefly, pets are always the reason. And it's a real reason, definitely not made up. Finding a place to rent with two big dogs is tough... Harder than those who are looking to move with horses or goats!

I don't have specific resources for rentals, other than fb marketplace, or local community groups on facebook. Sometimes farms you might find for rent that are out of town a ways are more flexible about dogs than suburbia.

Old 05-02-2024, 09:34 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,769,272 times
If you want a more rural setting then commuting from Seattle would be absolutely insane. Every mile you drive north from Tacoma puts you deeper into the urban jungle.

Here is an interactive map of the 2020 election that will give you a good sense of which areas are more conservative and liberal. It pretty much aligns along the urban/rural axis in Washington just like every other place in the country: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ction-map.html

If if you are open to more urban areas then I'd look at places like University Plaice or the area around University of Puget Sound in Tacoma. Lots of nice old neighborhoods that are more or less what you will find in Seattle but for cheaper and much closer.

Old Yesterday, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
If you want a more rural setting then commuting from Seattle would be absolutely insane. Every mile you drive north from Tacoma puts you deeper into the urban jungle.
Yeah, sorry - I totally contradicted myself there! The problem is that my friend (with whom I was hoping to live) doesn't want to leave Seattle proper, and I also really like West Seattle. But for the sake of my dogs, I might need a more rural-ish location to get that big yard. I'm kinda torn between the two, so basically just trying to narrow it down from there.

I found this place on Craigslist, which might be a good compromise. I emailed them for more info: https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/a...741792637.html

And this one in Alki/West Seattle as an example, if I can justify the commute. I think if they'll let me work those later hours (I should know within the next few days), it could be alright. I've certainly done worse commutes! Here: https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/a...743312686.html

Quote:
Here is an interactive map of the 2020 election that will give you a good sense of which areas are more conservative and liberal. It pretty much aligns along the urban/rural axis in Washington just like every other place in the country: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ction-map.html
Interesting... it definitely gets more pink/red the farther southeast you go.

Quote:
If if you are open to more urban areas then I'd look at places like University Plaice or the area around University of Puget Sound in Tacoma. Lots of nice old neighborhoods that are more or less what you will find in Seattle but for cheaper and much closer.
I'll check it out, but the issue again is with my friend. If I had to choose, I'd rather have a long commute than be alone in a strange city. I'm not going up there for a job, I'm going to start a new and hopefully more interesting life; so if the commute ends up being terrible, I can always just look for a job closer to Seattle once I'm there. It should be easier to do that as a local, and even from California I've received multiple offers in my search.

Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
For all the people we've helped buy places they've never been to, or have only visited briefly, pets are always the reason. And it's a real reason, definitely not made up. Finding a place to rent with two big dogs is tough... Harder than those who are looking to move with horses or goats!
Yep, that's the issue I'm facing! I'd rather rent first, to get an idea of exactly where I want to be - and to make sure the job is working out alright, too. But yeah, it's not going to be easy with two huskies. I will go the ESA route if need be, since I do legitimately qualify for that anyway. I'd just rather be in a dog-friendly rental without that, as they'll be more forgiving of anything that occurs (like if they dig a hole in the yard or bark occasionally).

I did reach out to a couple of realtors, though, as it's something I will have to consider. Out of curiosity, do you know anything about this part of town? I saw a few decent houses there, but of course there's always a reason for "too good to be true."

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...=srp-list-card

Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM

14,551 posts, read 12,192,089 times
Quote:
Yep, that's the issue I'm facing! I'd rather rent first, to get an idea of exactly where I want to be - and to make sure the job is working out alright, too. But yeah, it's not going to be easy with two huskies. I will go the ESA route if need be, since I do legitimately qualify for that anyway. I'd just rather be in a dog-friendly rental without that, as they'll be more forgiving of anything that occurs (like if they dig a hole in the yard or bark occasionally).

I did reach out to a couple of realtors, though, as it's something I will have to consider. Out of curiosity, do you know anything about this part of town? I saw a few decent houses there, but of course there's always a reason for "too good to be true."

I'm afraid I don't have much experience with Seattle.... we try to avoid the city if we can. I can help more with Pierce County if you ever venture there.

On those two houses.... Delridge... I noticed it's been on the market for awhile and I wondered why....it may be the parking... or lack of it! Maybe one little spot down below, and a lot of stairs up with groceries!

I like the other one better, better yard too, and two sheds. We could call you Two Sheds.
(Old Monty Python reference https://youtu.be/HLjS3gzHetA)
Parking is an issue there too, but there's a little parking on the street and it looks like you can park in the back, via the alley. Nice and fenced.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; Yesterday at 06:00 PM..

Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM

8,182 posts, read 8,326,792 times
Quote:

Yup, I know that part of town well, it’s not the greatest. Feel free to DM me if I can help.

Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Yup, I know that part of town well, it’s not the greatest. Feel free to DM me if I can help.
By "not the greatest," how bad are we talking? I've lived in some pretty rough neighborhoods, so I'm not timid or easily frightened - but I've also become more accustomed to peace and quiet in my current location.

Maybe I'll DM you, since I have some other questions about loans and rates and so forth.

Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM

8,182 posts, read 8,326,792 times
Quote:
By "not the greatest," how bad are we talking? I've lived in some pretty rough neighborhoods, so I'm not timid or easily frightened - but I've also become more accustomed to peace and quiet in my current location.

Maybe I'll DM you, since I have some other questions about loans and rates and so forth.
The 13th Ave SW one would be a better choice, it’s more tucked in. They are reviewing all offers this Tuesday 5/7. Delridge is a busy street with problems you might expect associated with that. This area where both of these homes are is called White Center. Crime rates tend to be higher as you approach the core (or commercial center). Both of these homes are pretty close to that. For my money, I’d look farther south closer to the Burien and Des Moines areas.

Last edited by homesinseattle; Yesterday at 07:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington