Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:17 PM

22,338 posts, read 19,282,796 times

Advertisements

well my question was how does someone who makes $80,000 salary afford a $700,000 home.

but a later post answered that.

my advice is rent first for 6 months so you can get a feel for the area before you buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:21 PM

22,338 posts, read 19,282,796 times
if you can't rent for 3-6 months while you visit the areas, then try boarding your dogs for a week or two, to at least get an in person view and feel for the areas.

Old Yesterday, 11:27 PM

30,395 posts, read 52,006,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
well my question was how does someone who makes $80,000 salary afford a $700,000 home.

but a later post answered that.
Haha. That’s the only reason I added those details! Because I know y’all would be calling me crazy otherwise, or at least advising me like someone without that extra safety net. I’ve done fine supporting myself (fyi my salary here in CA is closer to $100K) on my salary alone, but only in terms of monthly/regular expenses; I was just able to afford the down payment when I received the inheritance, plus it’s allowed me the freedom to spread my wings and take some chances with this move. I’m very grateful to my father for that, and know it’s what he would have wanted.

Quote:
my advice is rent first for 6 months so you can get a feel for the area before you buy.
That is the plan, but only if I can find something that’ll work for my dogs. Giving them up is not an option, since I’m a responsible owner (plus I love them!). And I’m not really comfortable with the ESA route, but if worst comes to worst I can do that legitimately.

Old Yesterday, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
if you can't rent for 3-6 months while you visit the areas, then try boarding your dogs for a week or two, to at least get an in person view and feel for the areas.
I’m coming up again soon, and have done lots of exploring on my other recent visits; but if I do end up accepting the job, I’ll have my friend watch the dogs (they’ve never been boarded) while I go for an extended fact-finding mission. Long-distance moves are so much more complicated! I trust it’ll fall into place when it needs to, though. Always does.

Old Yesterday, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
The 13th Ave SW one would be a better choice, it’s more tucked in. They are reviewing all offers this Tuesday 5/7. Delridge is a busy street with problems you might expect associated with that. This area where both of these homes are is called White Center. Crime rates tend to be higher as you approach the core (or commercial center). Both of these homes are pretty close to that. For my money, I’d look farther south closer to the Burien and Des Moines areas.
Great, thanks for the info! I’m not ready to buy yet anyway, so it’s more of an example of what I’d notice if/when I was ready. Busy street could be an issue with the pets, but I’ll have to see it for myself to judge. Maybe I’ll try to attend some open houses on my next trip.

Old Today, 07:51 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,647 posts, read 81,386,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Great, thanks for the info! I’m not ready to buy yet anyway, so it’s more of an example of what I’d notice if/when I was ready. Busy street could be an issue with the pets, but I’ll have to see it for myself to judge. Maybe I’ll try to attend some open houses on my next trip.
When we moved here from the bay area in 1993, I came up ahead and stayed with family while checking out places to live. With 3 kids schools were important so I went to many different school board meetings, and spent a lot of time driving around checking out neighborhoods before settling on this house in Sammamish.

City-Data (not the forum) has a lot of details including crime stats, though some places have gotten worse since the last time it was updated.

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crim...ashington.html

Old Today, 08:15 AM

8,182 posts, read 8,326,792 times
Quote:
Busy streets also bring more potential for cruising/crime.

Old Today, 10:02 AM

14,551 posts, read 12,192,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Busy streets also bring more potential for cruising/crime.

Yeah what would bother me the most about the Delridge house is you have to park down below and can't even see the car. But on the upside, most casual thieves are probably too lazy to come up all those stairs to bother the house.

Quote:

Gizmo, I will say if you're willing to look at 2 bedroom or one bath homes like these, that opens up a lot of more affordable places anywhere. I think you'd be better off finding a place closer to work. Makes like easier on the commute every day, and even if you don't stay there forever, that area is growing and there are bigger better dog yards - quarter of an acre or bigger - for that kind of money. My two cents

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; Today at 10:13 AM..

Old Today, 10:18 AM

7,543 posts, read 17,262,755 times
Quote:
And I’m not really comfortable with the ESA route, but if worst comes to worst
I can do that legitimately.
As someone with a bona fide mental health diagnosis and two legitimate ESA dogs, I'd say go for it. Do whatever it takes to keep your babies with you. The world is on fire and capitalism has few answers. Dogs save us all at the end of every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington