Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 12:41 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet5 View Post
I have lived in Sequim since 1997. I work in Port Angeles. Sequim can be very wet at times though usually less that PA and Seattle. There are many micro climates around the area. Some have more wind but it blows the clouds on through so less rain. It never really gets hot here either. For the elderly this is ideal as it is temperate here never getting above 90 and rarely below 20 degrees. On the other hand, the 300 days of sunshine is stretching it as it may peak out but that in my classification is NOT a sunny day! Too wet and windy here for us, we are going to retire elsewhere. Many people move here based on the advertising put out by the chamber and find it is false advertising and are very disappointed. Others that grew up in wetter, cloudier or way snowier climates love it here! It is all in the perspective that you come here with. But what I associate with Sequim is cloudy days unless it is August or September which are absolutely spectacular in my estimation!
Too wet and windy in Sequim? How is Port Townsend, then, by comparison? It seems to be a mecca for retirees, and also for drought refugees from California, of all ages. Rainy and windy in the late fall and winter, sure, but isn't part of Spring and all of Summer pretty great?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 07:29 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet5
I have lived in Sequim since 1997. I work in Port Angeles. Sequim can be very wet at times though usually less that PA and Seattle. There are many micro climates around the area. Some have more wind but it blows the clouds on through so less rain. It never really gets hot here either. For the elderly this is ideal as it is temperate here never getting above 90 and rarely below 20 degrees. On the other hand, the 300 days of sunshine is stretching it as it may peak out but that in my classification is NOT a sunny day! Too wet and windy here for us, we are going to retire elsewhere. Many people move here based on the advertising put out by the chamber and find it is false advertising and are very disappointed. Others that grew up in wetter, cloudier or way snowier climates love it here! It is all in the perspective that you come here with. But what I associate with Sequim is cloudy days unless it is August or September which are absolutely spectacular in my estimation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Too wet and windy in Sequim? How is Port Townsend, then, by comparison? It seems to be a mecca for retirees, and also for drought refugees from California, of all ages. Rainy and windy in the late fall and winter, sure, but isn't part of Spring and all of Summer pretty great?
I wonder if Jet5's too wet and windy refers to Dungeness and other parts of the Sequim area close to the Strait. When we visited in July 2014 we stayed on the Strait where it was damp, windy and chilly requiring long sleeves and windbreakers while 15 minutes later we strolled downtown Sequim in tank tops and shorts. A weather tough Wisconsin friend now lives two miles straight south of the northernmost tip of Dungeness and had to install a heater on her patio to hang out there in the summer...in the summer! When we looked at properties we were literally blown away one-two miles south of the Strait while calm and warm just south of 101.

I've kept track of Sequim weather daily for a couple years now and there sure seem to be many more sunny and partly sunny days than just August and September.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:53 AM

801 posts, read 2,212,422 times
Our first trip to Sequim was in July 2014. We spent a week in a B&B along Marine Drive. As we expected, those afternoon breezes were chilly and we liked the "drop off" as we approached town.

My wife and I moved to Sequim last spring. We bought a house and moved into it in early July. I'm sitting here this morning enjoying the sunshine from the living room, with its large window on the south side of the house.

We've experienced many winter days with "sunshine breaks." As someone else stated, the "blue hole" isn't in the same place every day. But, we get our share. Generally speaking, areas south of highway 101 will be less windy. The summer marine layer and its associated afternoon wind has a greater frequency north of highway 101. South of 101, there is a little bit more cloudiness and precipitation. We decided we wanted to be north of highway 101 but put our northern limit along Woodcock.

We bought a house about half a mile north of Old Olympic Highway and south of Woodcock. We also chose a place with really good southern exposure and no large trees near the house. It's a great neighborhood of friendly people. Each homeowner has created their own personal "wind break" to cut down on the afternoon breezes in the summer. We have a wind break built on the back deck, and a 100 foot long stand of Cypress trees on the west boundary of the yard. Last summer, which was quite warm for Sequim, we really enjoyed getting the afternoon breeze through the house without using the heat pump to cool the house (most of the time).

We chose more sunshine and "openness." We know people who prefer to be surrounded by tall trees, even though the days are a bit darker. We know people who love living near the Strait, wind and all. To each his/her own...there are options.

Old 03-05-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwx View Post
Our first trip to Sequim was in July 2014. We spent a week in a B&B along Marine Drive. As we expected, those afternoon breezes were chilly and we liked the "drop off" as we approached town.

My wife and I moved to Sequim last spring. We bought a house and moved into it in early July. I'm sitting here this morning enjoying the sunshine from the living room, with its large window on the south side of the house.

We've experienced many winter days with "sunshine breaks." As someone else stated, the "blue hole" isn't in the same place every day. But, we get our share. Generally speaking, areas south of highway 101 will be less windy. The summer marine layer and its associated afternoon wind has a greater frequency north of highway 101. South of 101, there is a little bit more cloudiness and precipitation. We decided we wanted to be north of highway 101 but put our northern limit along Woodcock.

We bought a house about half a mile north of Old Olympic Highway and south of Woodcock. We also chose a place with really good southern exposure and no large trees near the house. It's a great neighborhood of friendly people. Each homeowner has created their own personal "wind break" to cut down on the afternoon breezes in the summer. We have a wind break built on the back deck, and a 100 foot long stand of Cypress trees on the west boundary of the yard. Last summer, which was quite warm for Sequim, we really enjoyed getting the afternoon breeze through the house without using the heat pump to cool the house (most of the time).

We chose more sunshine and "openness." We know people who prefer to be surrounded by tall trees, even though the days are a bit darker. We know people who love living near the Strait, wind and all. To each his/her own...there are options.
Hey mrgoodwx! So nice to read your post and to know that you are enjoying your new home.

Our limit was about one mile south of Woodcock. The lot we decided on is primarily cleared and has a southwestern exposure. Our floor plan has a long wall of windows with the patio along that exposure. We are on a bit of a hill and the house itself will be a windbreak along with the many evergreen trees on our western lot line. About a quarter mile south of 101 but elevated so the traffic noise seems to lay low...we don't notice it much at all. So we were on a similar page.

Wish we were enjoying that sun in Sequim along with you! It's very cloudy here in WI lately.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:28 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,511 times
R4T
I have the strong opinion one chooses Port Townsend or Sequim based on cultural idealisms, not minor differences in climate.!!!!

Both have a major Marine influence. In PT the wind howls out of the south during the parade of endless winter storms and out of the West most every summer afternoon.

The summer wind is 50 degrees the winter wind is 50 degrees...LOL. One does not dine outside without wind protection. One generally closes their windows year around in the evening.

Sure Sequim is slightly drier and less windy, but PT is slightly warmer.

IMHO,,,, minor differences and if one is that concerned about sun or warmth neither is likely going to please, especially if coming from lower latitudes.!

Don't forget to consider how low the winter sun is and how short days are at 48 degrees north latitude.

Again, strong opinion here.... But I truly believe that finding a community that fits the individual, will provide more warmth and light in one's life than the climate will.!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Old 03-06-2016, 09:48 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
I noticed the wind in Port Townsend two years ago (August) when it was 80+ degrees in Seattle and calm while it was 68 in Port Townsend and very windy which didn't feel like summer at all.

Old 03-06-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
R4T
I have the strong opinion one chooses Port Townsend or Sequim based on cultural idealisms, not minor differences in climate.!!!!

Both have a major Marine influence. In PT the wind howls out of the south during the parade of endless winter storms and out of the West most every summer afternoon.

The summer wind is 50 degrees the winter wind is 50 degrees...LOL. One does not dine outside without wind protection. One generally closes their windows year around in the evening.

Sure Sequim is slightly drier and less windy, but PT is slightly warmer.

IMHO,,,, minor differences and if one is that concerned about sun or warmth neither is likely going to please, especially if coming from lower latitudes.!

Don't forget to consider how low the winter sun is and how short days are at 48 degrees north latitude.

Again, strong opinion here.... But I truly believe that finding a community that fits the individual, will provide more warmth and light in one's life than the climate will.!!
Certainly the cultural differences will appeal to people in different ways. But in some areas of Sequim one CAN dine outside without wind protection wearing summer garb. That's a major difference in climate.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I noticed the wind in Port Townsend two years ago (August) when it was 80+ degrees in Seattle and calm while it was 68 in Port Townsend and very windy which didn't feel like summer at all.
That's my kind of summer! High 60's, low-to-mid 70's. But the howling winter wind and constant succession of storms, ....well, maybe I'll get used to it, if it''s mainly late fall and winter. I was there in September, and it was glorious! No wind, perfect temp! Though the Sept. prior, I was told it was pouring rain most of the time.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post

Certainly!

Old 03-07-2016, 01:24 AM

801 posts, read 2,212,422 times
A couple of the deciding factors for us (moving to Sequim last year and not Port Townsend) included:

1. Liking the bicycling options more around Sequim. We use the Discovery Trail and quite a few of the roads between Old Olympic Highway and Marine Drive.

2. Proximity to shopping at Costco and Home Depot. Our process of getting settled in our Sequim house has sent me to Home Depot numerous times.

Differences in climate didn't play a difference for us. We were fine with the culture of both places, as different as they may be. But, our neighborhood has a spirit of community we've never experienced any other place we've lived.

Jumpindogs...I think I know about where your lot is. I think you'll like it out there. We also have friends a bit west of your place, off Happy Valley Road. They love their location and they're 600 to 700 feet above sea level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington