Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 01:40 PM

365 posts, read 692,313 times

Advertisements

I came across this article from canada.com yesterday...

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/na...c-c2a18bdeddd0

I found it a bit appauling when they say, " "We want Americans to leave their cars in Bellingham, but how can they do that? Nobody is addressing that issue."

I can relate to "Nobody is addressing that issue." I couldn't imagine if all Americans left their cars parked here to go to the Olympic games what it would be like? Our roads grid locked....hhmmm....We barely have enough parking for regular shoppers and workers as it is.

I'm curious what other Wa****onians think?

Last edited by poogie777; 07-22-2008 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: edited html...the h ref didn't work for some reason, so I just posted the Url.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 05:53 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,730,517 times
I'm afraid in general that the whole area is going to be a doormat for the Olympics, rising costs of living even more while pushing what little industry we have left away. Doesn't $500,000 homes and minimum wage jobs sound great to you?

Old 07-22-2008, 09:29 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,894,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
I'm afraid in general that the whole area is going to be a doormat for the Olympics, rising costs of living even more while pushing what little industry we have left away. Doesn't $500,000 homes and minimum wage jobs sound great to you?
hahahahaha ... yep, I'm thinking the same ... and if the prices go through the roof I'm heading to Maine with all that green in my pockets that the Californians will pay me for my place here.

Hate to leave the Shangri-La I built here ... Hate to stay with all the Californication ... Can't STAND it! Hellooo Maine (just me and the moose! mmmm ... mooseburgers)

Old 07-23-2008, 04:14 PM

365 posts, read 692,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
I really don't think we'll be ready for the traffic when it comes...I'm not moving, though...I wanna watch the excitement!
It will be interesting....

Old 07-26-2008, 12:26 AM

1,316 posts, read 2,464,083 times
Interesting read! My husband and I were thinking of purchasing a home in Bellingham and I was wondering if the Olympic Games would have any impact on Bellingham. I guess I have my question answered. Maybe I should wait until after the Olympics to purchase. I am sure the real estate costs are effected already.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo7 View Post
Interesting read! My husband and I were thinking of purchasing a home in Bellingham and I was wondering if the Olympic Games would have any impact on Bellingham. I guess I have my question answered. Maybe I should wait until after the Olympics to purchase. I am sure the real estate costs are effected already.
Bellingham / Whatcom County real estate is already rated by national surveyors as seriously inflated. I do not entirely agree. (I live here.) While I feel real estate along coastal America in general is ridiculous, and I dislike the aspects of human nature that drive the avarice and greed, Whatcom County stands as one of the great new growth areas (sadly for me ... I will leave) Located smack-dab between two world class cities (Seattle and Vancouver, B.C.) in a stunning natural setting, along a major interstate, in a climate without temperature extremes, and with excellent access to one of the world's greatest salt-water boating venues — this is a new Bay area for developers. It will become more and more expensive. The Olympics will accelerate an already near-out-of-control process. Good for developers and speculators. Disaster for long-time residents who value the traditional character and lifestyle.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Bellingham / Whatcom County real estate is already rated by national surveyors as seriously inflated. I do not entirely agree. (I live here.) While I feel real estate along coastal America in general is ridiculous, and I dislike the aspects of human nature that drive the avarice and greed, Whatcom County stands as one of the great new growth areas (sadly for me ... I will leave) Located smack-dab between two world class cities (Seattle and Vancouver, B.C.) in a stunning natural setting, along a major interstate, in a climate without temperature extremes, and with excellent access to one of the world's greatest salt-water boating venues — this is a new Bay area for developers. It will become more and more expensive. The Olympics will accelerate an already near-out-of-control process. Good for developers and speculators. Disaster for long-time residents who value the traditional character and lifestyle.
You pointed out the exact reason why the area so perfect. Smack in the middle with access to Seattle, Vancouver, Victoria and even a ferry to Alaska. It doesn't get any more perfect as far as location. At least the Olympics is a temporary nuisance and will be over. I do feel badly for the locals. I use to live in an area on the east coast that was overrun by tourists in the summer and I have to admit it was very annoying just to go to the grocery store. Hopefully it won't inconvenience the locals too badly but I can empathize, I really can. I don't think the "Olympics" will detour me but I think it's going to hard to find a home in my price range. I live on the eastside of Seattle and the prices around here are still "grossly overpriced" and probably will be forever. If you don't mind me asking, what do you think of Sudden Valley? Does it really get more rain even though it's 10 minutes outside of downtown Bellingham? Prices are great but then you wonder why is it so inexpensive in Sudden Valley. Any thoughts?

Old 07-26-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo7 View Post
You pointed out the exact reason why the area so perfect. Smack in the middle with access to Seattle, Vancouver, Victoria and even a ferry to Alaska. It doesn't get any more perfect as far as location. At least the Olympics is a temporary nuisance and will be over. I do feel badly for the locals. I use to live in an area on the east coast that was overrun by tourists in the summer and I have to admit it was very annoying just to go to the grocery store. Hopefully it won't inconvenience the locals too badly but I can empathize, I really can. I don't think the "Olympics" will detour me but I think it's going to hard to find a home in my price range. I live on the eastside of Seattle and the prices around here are still "grossly overpriced" and probably will be forever. If you don't mind me asking, what do you think of Sudden Valley? Does it really get more rain even though it's 10 minutes outside of downtown Bellingham? Prices are great but then you wonder why is it so inexpensive in Sudden Valley. Any thoughts?
Sounds like you lived in coastal Maine? I did. Summer people were okay back then, but it did get busy. I'm moving back within a couple years, I think ... to escape this growth in W.WA ... been here 39 years ... hard to leave ... but Maine compares in quality, fully (and the sun often shines in winter ... bonus!) ... and it's growing at less than 10% the rate of Western Washington. Trying to hold out until after the Olympics to reap what extra I can from the post-Olympics surge in real estate. But I'm now hitting 60 and don't want to waste much time getting on to my last hurrah (I build my own places ... can't keep it up forever).

I'm not a Sudden Valley basher ... nor a S.V. supporter. It's a way into the local market ... it's got points ... the southern part of Lake Whatcom is very nice ... with recreational opportunities: hiking, biking, swimming, boating. Yes, it does get more rain somewhat ... but I don't think the difference is HUGE. It IS somewhat darker and damp in there tucked into hills and forest without much extended afternoon sun in summer to dry it out (and, of course, there's NO sun the rest of the year, as everywhere on the 'wetside' of the state. The community doesn't seem to be running down particularly ... they're maintaining.

Yep, "perfect location" translates to "will be ruined" soon. Getting there fast already.

Good luck.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the info on Sudden Valley area. It's seems like there is no perfect area to escape that doesn't have it's drawbacks one way or another.

I am from New Jersey and lived by the Jersey shore for about 5 years. People from NJ, NY and PA would flock to the Jersey beaches from Memorial Day through Labor Day and weekends being a total nightmare on the highway and in the towns.

Enjoy the sunshine when you return to Maine. I have 20+ years before retirement and I don't know if I will be staying in WA but a vacation house is all I want right now. I might feel the same as you and decide that over 30 years, with only three months of sunshine is just not enough, especially when you retire. Good luck to you too!

Old 07-27-2008, 12:50 AM

3 posts, read 14,162 times
I know several people that live in Sudden Valley who wish they could leave. Check out all of the fees and rules for the neighborhood association very thoroughly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington