Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 07:31 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,896 times

Advertisements

BTW, I didn't "jump" all over anything. I also didn't say anything negative. I simply said I would look elsewhere, when considering those two places.

I don't know if school districts and safety are factors to the OP, but if so, I would scratch those two off the list.

"Safe" in that, perhaps violent crimes are down, but on the flip side, property crime in that area has been climbing.

Moderator cut: link removed

Last edited by Yac; 11-02-2007 at 07:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 08:30 PM

314 posts, read 2,539,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
I lived in Sno County for 3 years (10 yrs total for Western WA, lived in Seattle, Redmond & Issaquah), and yes - we got out of Mill Creek/Bothell as much as we possibly could (mainly INTO Seattle and/or Redmond). Lynnwood and Everett are depressing.
So in 3 years, you hardly ever ventured into Lynnwood? I lived in Lynnwood for about 9 years, and I can tell you that there are a lot of great neighborhoods. And as far as property crime, your same source reveals the same about the entire state of Washington:
Moderator cut: link removed

Last edited by Yac; 11-02-2007 at 07:06 AM..

Old 03-13-2007, 08:37 PM

You are taking my post too literally.

Did we go into Lynnwood? Of course. My son's school was in Lynnwood (Oak Heights). He took soccer in Lynnwood. Some of our friends were in Lynnwood. Sometimes my husband caught the bus in Lynnwood. Trader Joes and Half Price books... lynnwood. The only area Red Robin is in Lynnwood - lol. Do we prefer that area? NO. If we had a choice (and the time to do so)would we go elsewhere? YES.

For our "personal" time, weekends, etc - we often went to the east side and Seattle... as those areas we preferred.

Personally, I found Lynnwood dirty.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I can tell you that there are a lot of great neighborhoods.
Subjective. How do you define "great neighborhood"? I can tell you, your definition is likely different than mine, and mine is different than SeaT's and his is different than scirocco's and his is different than magracks.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Subjective. How do you define "great neighborhood"? I can tell you, your definition is likely different than mine, and mine is different than SeaT's and his is different than scirocco's and his is different than magracks.
True. But the OP was asking about Everett and Edmonds, and if they have no problem with Everett, why would they have a problem with Lynnwood which in my opinion is better than Everett. And if they like Edmonds, why not add Mukilteo to the list.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
And if they like Edmonds, why not add Mukilteo to the list.
I totally agree with you, here! I would choose Mukilteo over Edmonds, if school district in an issue.

All I was saying, in my original comment, was that I personally wouldn't choose Lynnwood (I didn't even list my reasons) ... and actually, I wouldn't choose SE Everett. SE Everett is like Mill Creek - and it's no secret here that we did NOT prefer Mill Creek.

There is ONE neighborhood IN Everett I would live in though... I just don't know the name of it. It's cute, older restored homes, easy access to downtown Everett shopping ... and too expensive for my budget!

I am also not sure the OP really "knows" about Everett. He's asking for it's characteristics, so I am not sure what he's basing his "choice" of Everett and Edmonds on. He says it's less rainy than Seattle? To that I say, Convergence Zone!!

Old 03-14-2007, 12:30 PM

88 posts, read 375,765 times
Default Other ideas

Thank you for all the input, even if I did start a little bit of an argument. I really have no personal experience there, and am sort of flying blind. So no, I don't know what Everett is "really" like, nor Edmonds or any other city for that matter. I suppose I should open up to other cities in that area. What about places like Shoreline, Mountlake Terrace, or Kenmore? I'm guessing those places are getting pretty expensive....

Old 03-14-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElphinKnight View Post
Thank you for all the input, even if I did start a little bit of an argument. I really have no personal experience there, and am sort of flying blind. So no, I don't know what Everett is "really" like, nor Edmonds or any other city for that matter. I suppose I should open up to other cities in that area. What about places like Shoreline, Mountlake Terrace, or Kenmore? I'm guessing those places are getting pretty expensive....

It might help if we knew what you were willing to spend, but if money was not an issue, here is how I would rank South Snohomish County as far as the best places to live:

1. Edmonds
2. Mukilteo
3. Mill Creek
(3b.) Maybe too far East: Lake Stevens
4. Silverlake
5. Lynnwood
(5b.) Also East: Snohomish
6. Mt. Lk Terrace
7. South Everett

This is only my opinion

Old 03-15-2007, 11:55 AM

What about Marysville? I have just driven through, for errands - so I am asking, don't really know.

I would essentially agree with your list of places to live (I would move a few around, and take out Lynnwood all together ) - if you HAD to live in Snohomish County. I just personally just DONT love Sno County over King County - but adding King County into the mix, you have commute issues to deal with.

I don't remember if the OP has any kids at this point, but school district is my determining factor at this point... and that is the main reason why I am not recommending Lynnwood and Edmonds. The Edmonds school district is just not perferable or great or would I even consider it good... and I have alot of first hand experience dealing with the district, specific schools and teachers etc.... and my son was had to play catch up in his new, top rated school district here in TX, from where he was lacking ...

Old 03-15-2007, 06:26 PM

Default Marysville

Quote:
What about Marysville? I have just driven through, for errands - so I am asking, don't really know.
You'd have to find a Marysville thread. I spent my first 11 years there ('73-'84), and then moved to Arlington until graduation in '92. My parents moved back to Marysville after I left home. It's really grown in the last 10 years, so somebody else would have to answer that one.

Oh, and on a side note, thanks for the debate. That was fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington