Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 11:51 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,072,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
-Yes, you can swim on the beaches. But most people don't because the water is COLD and there can be a pretty nasty under-tow. If you don't know the area or are maybe not the strongest swimmer, it's best not to swim. Lots of people drown because the under-tow takes them by surprise and they don't know how to get out of it.
We generally stay in a cabin down the road from LB, in Ocean Park. In OP, there is absolutely NO SWIMMING allowed. Now that I recall though, when we were down last summer during the kite fesitival, there was a water emergency from swimmers, he lived - but it was close and scary... so I guess in some areas of LB you can swim. Check for signs, as it varies from beach area to beach area - and know that it's "at your own risk".

Quote:
If you love storms, unpredictable weather, the smell of the salt air, enjoy small towns, and prefer a slower pace, then you'll probably find it an oasis in a hectic world.
... and can afford the higher prices, and/or traveling to other towns for better grocery stock...

Then I absolutely agree with this poster's statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 11:51 AM

644 posts, read 3,322,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggitydot View Post
Hey Artie,

I, for one, would absolutely LOVE to live in Long Beach. It's a pretty quiet, small town...for about 8-9 months out of the year. If you don't mind sharing your cute little hamlet with a LOT of tourists and weekenders during the summer, you'll likely enjoy the area.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't call it a "cheap" area to live. In an area with few grocery stores or gas stations, pricing can seem a bit unreasonable. We have some friends who drive weekly into Portland to do their shopping at Costco to save money. Also, gas prices seem to be higher priced, too.

You're not getting completely accurate information from some of the other posters here. I'm sure it's totally accidental, though. Just to clear up a couple things:

-No, Portland isn't 4 hours away. It's about 2 1/2, depending on traffic.
-Yes, you can swim on the beaches. But most people don't because the water is COLD and there can be a pretty nasty under-tow. If you don't know the area or are maybe not the strongest swimmer, it's best not to swim. Lots of people drown because the under-tow takes them by surprise and they don't know how to get out of it.
-Yes, the weather is cool and wet most of the time. But there are warmer days and it isn't "always" drizzling. But yes, you'll find rain even in the summertime.
-As for phone service, I've never had a problem with my cell, but that will vary from carrier to carrier and if your phone is only digital or is digital/analog. (Mine is digital/analog and I always have a signal, even in the remote areas of the Joshua Tree Forest in AZ.)

You may need to invest in some high-speed satellite internet service. That can be a little cost prohibitive. But it wouldn't be a bad idea to visit the area and talk to some locals about what they utilize. Maybe high-speed cable or DSL is available but not widely utilized? (Our friends who live near Long Beach have satellite internet service.)

I grew up visiting the Long Beach area pretty regularly and have family and friends living nearby. I absolutely love it and would live there in a heartbeat, but it isn't for everyone. If you're accustomed to and prefer warm beaches, this may not be the right place for you. If you love storms, unpredictable weather, the smell of the salt air, enjoy small towns, and prefer a slower pace, then you'll probably find it an oasis in a hectic world.

Good luck!
Digidot,

Thank you for such an accurate description of the area. It sounds absolutely beautiful and I'd love to live there. Do you know of any places for rent?

Artie

Old 04-05-2007, 11:53 AM

Artie, you need to make up your mind though...

On one forum you are moving to Austin, and the other, you are moving to Long Beach.

Why don't you wait on finding a place to rent, and take a trip out to each area so you can make a better decision?

Old 04-05-2007, 12:48 PM

223 posts, read 1,276,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
We generally stay in a cabin down the road from LB, in Ocean Park. In OP, there is absolutely NO SWIMMING allowed.

Absolute balderdash. We stay at the Klipsan Beach Cottages. NEVER have I EVER seen any postings of no swimming allowed.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:27 PM

"Balderdash"???

whatever...

We stay in the same cabin every year. My mom inherited her fathers home in Ocean Park. I have gone there most years since I was a little kid...

Old 04-05-2007, 02:35 PM

Regarding Long Beach...

http://www.funbeach.com/attractions/beach.html

Quote:
Can I go wading & swimming?
Our stretch of the Pacific is beautiful to behold, but isn’t very user friendly. Swimming is strongly discouraged with the exception of Waikiki Beach in Cape Disappointment (formerly Fort Canby) State Park. Waders must be aware of frequent and treacherous rip tides (side currents), sneaker waves (large, random waves), and undertows. These, along with very low water temperatures (even in summer) get even strong adult swimmers in trouble before they know it. Watch children wading VERY CLOSELY and be aware that we have no lifeguards. Take a look at our page on beach safety.

http://www.funbeach.com/attractions/...ndex.html#swim

See the first topic under "Important topics" where it says "Swimming - NO!"

Quote:
Swimming is Dangerous
Avoid the temptation of going swimming in the surf.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:36 PM

http://www.funbeach.com/attractions/...ety/index.html

The sign on the right is the exact sign I have seen through out the beach.

Balderdash, indeed.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Artie, you need to make up your mind though...

On one forum you are moving to Austin, and the other, you are moving to Long Beach.

Why don't you wait on finding a place to rent, and take a trip out to each area so you can make a better decision?
Hi Jenbar,

I have made a few trips. Trips are very expensive and the more I look, the more confused I get. I'm fed up with it all. I can't sit here in Los Angeles for another three years while I agonize over the best place to live. This place is too cold. This place is too hot, this place has big stinging bugs, blah, blah, blah. Anything is better than where I am so I'm quickly trying to make a decision. I'm hitting the road end of May, so things are going to have to happen quick. Austin, Long Beach, whatever...

Yours Truly,

Artie

Old 04-05-2007, 04:10 PM

Good luck

I am sure you have already done this - but I guess if I were in your position I would make a list of my top 3 must haves ... and go from there.

If you are really looking for the quiet, hermit lifestyle, lean towards places like Long Beach, but run far far away from places like Austin. And... vice versa, if you want to live in a place like Austin - which is about as creative and dynamic as you can get... scratch off Long Beach from your list....

Old 04-05-2007, 04:17 PM

Hi Jenbar,

Thank you. You've make a lot of sense. When I began my search for a new home, I thought I knew what I wanted. But the more I looked, the more my brains became scrambled eggs. I'll probably move to Austin or back to Western Mass, but the lure of Long Beach sounded good to. I want to live cheaply and reduce my overhead as much as possible. It's such a shame that the housing boom of the last five years has driven the cost of living sky high for many of us. As a consequence, I'm spend all my time working, trying to make ends meet. I can't go on like this. I've GOT to get out of Los Angeles.

Artie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington