Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2016, 11:36 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
I don't know about Seattleites, but tons of people where I'm from in NE WA have winter homes in Arizona.

Of course, all those people have much more $$$ than I do.
I have some former neighbors who got a winter place in AZ, after they retired. Those are the only people I've ever known who do that, though. Leaving in winter for sunny climes isn't something anyone I've known there has felt the need to do, except for that one couple, who weren't from the Seattle area, and never liked the weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 12:58 PM

576 posts, read 2,261,165 times
A few of our friends here typically spend a week or two in Las Vegas every winter. One of them is very much in to racing so it may have as much to do with the NHRA Nationals as it does to temporarily escape the gray western WA winter weather-

Old 03-24-2016, 04:28 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,641,477 times
Well, I've only been here one month so it is too early for me to form an opinion. I moved here from Glendale, California to shore up our Washington office. I think I will love it here but my husband isn't thrilled yet.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Well, I've only been here one month so it is too early for me to form an opinion. I moved here from Glendale, California to shore up our Washington office. I think I will love it here but my husband isn't thrilled yet.
He will be, when Glendale gets short of water, and the heat increases.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:44 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,152,355 times
Well don't wish for any more water in western Washington. It is a swamp!

Besides maybe a week in January, it has pretty much been an onslaught of storms since October. Gray rain is nothing new, but the intensity of the storms was...well intense.

Finally high pressure ridge building so we can dry out. Don't know if we will see the sun or have lowland.fog.

Old 03-26-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post

Besides maybe a week in January, it has pretty much been an onslaught of storms since October. Gray rain is nothing new, but the intensity of the storms was...well intense.

Finally high pressure ridge building so we can dry out. Don't know if we will see the sun or have lowland.fog.
Well, that's El Nino for you. People on the CA forums keep complaining about how the big El Nino was a big bust, and NOAA doesn't know what they're talking about, and I keep telling them that did arrive in all its glory, but it was deflected north. They say there's already signs of a La Nina, a dry pattern, forming, expected to arrive in the summer, or so.

I just hope that in the future, that high pressure front that's been keeping rain away from most of CA alleviates, somehow. I wonder what's causing it? It's been very stubborn.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:54 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post

Lowland fog happens in the winter and late fall. So it should be sunny.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I go to Las Vegas every April for a week, business conference, and can't wait to get back to our trees, cool weather, clouds and rain. It's usually about 85-90 and sunny there - Yuck!

Old 03-27-2016, 02:33 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
It was sunny today, but, hey, it's raining again...yay, more mud!

Old 03-27-2016, 08:50 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
..... the only people I've ever known who do that, though. Leaving in winter for sunny climes isn't something anyone I've known there has felt the need to do, except for that one couple, who weren't from the Seattle area, and never liked the weather.
you might need to broaden your friend base (if that is even possible in 'frozen' Seattle )

I can think of over ten people in my very small circle of friends that have 'sun-escape' homes / rv's / Asian / southern hemisphere escapes from PNW winters. There are at least 6 of us on our rural road that escape PNW for months on end. We homeschooled, so no reason to hang out in the dreary PNW during winter for last 23 yrs.

My Hill Country TX homes are a great place to hang out for the 280 days / yr of PNW cloudcover. (And yes I get 120" of drizzle due to my PNW Home being near peak of Cascades. (2 - 3x Rainfall of Seattle or Portland metro, tho only 16 miles from the later).

My PNW home is just swell for the 80 days that it is rotten weather in the Hill Country of TX.

Previous 2 yrs I spent winters in Thailand, before that I did a winter in San Diego, this winter was spent in NZ and AU. i have been home in PNW 3 whole days since Sept 28th. That was 3 too many. But... I need to show up once in a while to feed my farm dog, and check the mail.

$15 flights to DEN would have been my escape had I been in PNW this yr. I used many $19.90 flights to San Diego to seek sun. Down at 6 AM, and home at midnight (PDX).

My CHEAP rural farm homes all have multiple dwellings / and RV spots or apartment in shop, so...I rent the main house, and I stay for free whenever I happen to be in the area. Each home has an evil <$100 VW diesel that runs on free cooking oil. (3 million miles @ 50 mpg @ ZERO detectable emissions. Since 1976.. ). My sunny locations hold a few 100 mpg vintage motocycles that I never got a chance to wear-out while they lived in the PNW. Now they get plenty of use in the winter. My last yr living in sunny Colorado, I rode my bicycle to work all but 3 days. 30 yrs in PNW living on dark curvy country roads, I rode to work 3 times. My bicycle found a new home and a new life. (Away frm PNW)

Not all are happy in PNW, but I am not solo, so I stay (keep a house here) and pay my $40/ day taxes to do so.

Next destination... Healthcare for a chonically ill spouse under age 65 so.... That will not be able to include the USA. SEEKING green horizons for their final yrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington