Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 10:45 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times

Advertisements

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I'll be stopping in LA for a couple of days before flying over to the East Coast.

I don't fly very well anymore so I can't do the direct flight thing OR probably wouldn't cope with a short layover after the Melbourne to LAX leg before doing another 5 hours to get to the East Coast.

I am looking forward to it very much, but I am nervous about how I'll cope with snow for an extended period. Can't know till I try it though.

I'm jealous you'll be in Washington btw. It really is a magnificent place!!! So much natural beauty! And so different to home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 02:00 AM

3 posts, read 6,530 times
Hi,
Portland is a beautiful city. I much prefer it to Seattle. Many parks and artistic community. Several papers and schools that should be options for you. Portland airport is a much easier airport to use compared to Seatac(seattle-tacoma) airport. Tacoma is a stinky ugly city and I wouldn't advise it. I live on the peninsula in Washington- 2 hrs from Portland. I have lived in Portland previously and I currently drive to Seattle every month which is 2 1/2 hrs from me. We had a few inches of snow here last winter but it didn't last. If you really want snow the mountains are just a drive away and Mount Hood is very close to Portland. If your interested in where I live look at [url=http://www.funbeach.com]funbeach.com: Long Beach Peninsula Visitors Bureau.] and it will give you the facts and pictures. Good luck in your search! mate

Old 08-13-2009, 02:14 AM

103 posts, read 342,578 times
So you dont think that getting a job will be a problem for me?

Old 08-13-2009, 02:43 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times
Hey feybie.

Got word back from 3 of the people I asked about living in Washington.

All of them said that the job market there is not great at the moment and they all agreed that the further out from Seattle you go the cheaper the cost of living, including housing.

I'm still waiting to hear back from a few others.

One of my friends mentioned that Gig Harbor is small and very touristy in the Summer. She went on to say that Bellingham is wonderful and has an airport and that it is International although I'm not sure if she's kidding or not. Said that Horizon flies out of Bellingham and hooks up with International via Alaskan Airlines at SeaTac. She also mentioned that Bellingham is a college town so that might be useful in terms of teaching positions and that it's not so touristy. It's about 1.5 hours drive north from Seattle.

She mentioned Everett but apparently that's becoming a suburb of Seattle, La Conner which is another small touristy town, Mt Vernon/Burlington and Marysville. I didn't really see that much of that part of the state so I can't really comment either way but she's a great lady and sensible. I trust her opinion, although her lifestyle is different to yours in that she's retired.

Probably all that ^ might just prove more confusing for you but if you have questions she asked me to pass them along.

I saw a bit of Washington state while I was there so I could give you impressions of places and my experience but it is limited.

We stayed in Ashford (near Mt Rainier), Westport (on the coast), Lake Quinault, Forks (in the Olympics) and Port Angeles (on the Straight of Juan de Fuca) and passed through and stopped at many towns along the way as well as taking day trips to Puyallup, Auburn and Tacoma.
Let me know if I can answer any questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington