Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 06:49 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,017,674 times

Advertisements

Humidity in winter definitely makes a difference. I hate, wet cloudy days with freezing rain or snow blowing in my face and chilling my bare skin.

Not to mention that when it's very dry in winter it's usually bright enough that the sun on my dark clothing warms me somewhat, as well as lightens my mood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 06:59 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Meh. I still liked the feel of "warmth" yesterday. Umbrellas helped.

Today definitely felt cold but not really painfully so with the sun.
Umbrellas were useless with the wind on Wednesday.

The forecast for the next week looks quite "dull". Highs in the 30s with a mix of sun and clouds and chance of flurries. I like it though. 30s are certainly chilly, but it isn't anything horrible.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:07 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,656,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Looked at the forecast for London and it looks doesn't look like the cold will let up in the next week. To those in the UK, does this compare to the cold spell you had last winter? It looks like you have a few cold nights in the forecasts (below -5°C) that didn't occur last winter. It looks like it's possible it could be colder than last time
For me personally this is worse because where I was living last year had better insulation and because I thought it wouldn't get this cold now living in the south Last year in Yorkshire we had a maximum of 20cm snow which lasted 30 days. This year they have 30cm of snow at home, and this is day 9. The last cold spell was at least after a mild start to winter, where as this year we started early and we're predicted to get a cold winter right through until spring. I know it's nothing compared to what a lot of places get, but we thought we'd never get winters like this again. Our snow coping strategy basically involves taking a snow day and waiting a short while until it melts, and we don't have the infrastructure to deal with anything major or long-lasting.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:58 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
For me personally this is worse because where I was living last year had better insulation and because I thought it wouldn't get this cold now living in the south Last year in Yorkshire we had a maximum of 20cm snow which lasted 30 days. This year they have 30cm of snow at home, and this is day 9. The last cold spell was at least after a mild start to winter, where as this year we started early and we're predicted to get a cold winter right through until spring. I know it's nothing compared to what a lot of places get, but we thought we'd never get winters like this again. Our snow coping strategy basically involves taking a snow day and waiting a short while until it melts, and we don't have the infrastructure to deal with anything major or long-lasting.
Perhaps these were the type of winters Charles Dickens experienced.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Perhaps these were the type of winters Charles Dickens experienced.
Generally they were. I thought about that today actually walking through an outdoor market with the decorations/lights out, snow on the ground (though melting) and a brass band playing Christmas carols. Felt like a German Christmas market (most of our Christmas traditions were imported from Germany around Dickens' time).

Old 12-04-2010, 11:19 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
^^ Meanwhile Toronto is snowless.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:53 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,276 times
snow means a warm winter day

Old 12-04-2010, 11:55 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,017,674 times
^^
Depends on how warm your normal winters are.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
snow means a warm winter day
What do you get on a cold winter's day then if not snow?

Old 12-04-2010, 12:14 PM

497 posts, read 1,088,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Humidity in winter definitely makes a difference. I hate, wet cloudy days with freezing rain or snow blowing in my face and chilling my bare skin.

Not to mention that when it's very dry in winter it's usually bright enough that the sun on my dark clothing warms me somewhat, as well as lightens my mood.
I find the opposite in that, a wet sunny morning ( particularly after a rainy night) feels warmer than a dry sunny morning at the same temp. Rainy nights(from the humid north) are also the most pleasant winter nights temperature wise, Insects such as Crickets and Katydids seem to be more active during humid sunny(winter) days than less humid sunny days of comparable temps, which I assume is their response to increased warmth from higher humidity. The situation is entirely different if I get wet, or there is wind, but both of those factors aren't necessarily related to high humidity.I guess your climate could have a more defined humidity/fine weather pattern, but for here, I find higher humidities at lower temps more comfortable.It is the subjective view that matters most of the time though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather