Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 11:36 PM

196 posts, read 137,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
must be the reverse west wind onshore flow
Legendary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 08:53 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,226,319 times
Yep. Here in Fort Worth most if not all of the palm trees have been wiped out by the arctic outbreak in February. Same with the live oaks, loquats, Japanese pittosporums, and many others that were only borderline hardy in Fort Worth

Old 03-03-2021, 08:19 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,273,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Yep. Here in Fort Worth most if not all of the palm trees have been wiped out by the arctic outbreak in February. Same with the live oaks, loquats, Japanese pittosporums, and many others that were only borderline hardy in Fort Worth
Yes, everything you listed is finished in Ft. Worth.

The exception would be the live oaks. The typical variety of southern live oak (quercus virginiana) is really a coastal tree, and is reliably hardy long-term in the coastal regions of the Southern US, including all of Florida. That means zone 8A and above, however, they might be able to tolerate very brief dips in the single digits, even sub-zero. With the level of cold seen in North Texas, there might very well be quite some bark splitting in those trees - they should still recover with new wood growing over the breakage, but in that time, they'll be quite vulnerable to insects, fungus, etc so they'll have to be monitored.

On the flip side, there is another species of live oak native to inland Texas and Oklahoma, known as the escarpment live oak. This species can tolerate temps down to 6A (down to -10°F) with nothing but minimal leaf burn. This is the species that is common throughout the Texas Hill Country, as well as the hilly areas of Oklahoma, and I imagine that this is the species that is used for cultivation in these regions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_fusiformis

Old 03-03-2021, 11:04 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,729,436 times
I am curious to know if the windmill palms made it through the cold snap in the Dallas Fort Worth area. They are hardy to below 0F.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:55 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,226,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I am curious to know if the windmill palms made it through the cold snap in the Dallas Fort Worth area. They are hardy to below 0F.
The windmill palms all look dead at this point
Some sources say windmill palms are only hardy to zone 7 at best if not zone 8. But yeah, I saw windmill palms and from what I could see their fronds looked completely dead brown. The live oaks near my subdivision are all browned out and are losing all of their leaves now, wouldn’t surprise me if they were dead too, I don’t know if they are Quercus Virginiana or Quercus Fusiformis but if they grow new leaves later on this would prove they are escarpment live oak trees.

Old 03-04-2021, 11:16 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,273,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
The live oaks near my subdivision are all browned out and are losing all of their leaves now, wouldn’t surprise me if they were dead too, I don’t know if they are Quercus Virginiana or Quercus Fusiformis but if they grow new leaves later on this would prove they are escarpment live oak trees.
One thing to note is that live oaks naturally have a leaf shedding process around the late winter - early spring time frame. So, they'd already be thinning out even if there wasn't a big freeze.

Old 03-04-2021, 02:29 PM

30,481 posts, read 21,349,715 times
Oaks have never been burned in FL. Most all Oaks have new leaves in my area now. Used to be 6 week later when we had real winters.

Old 03-19-2021, 10:24 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,953,092 times
Looks like I was right in 1989, 2011, and now this year. All this talk of coco palms in S. Texas and all you can find is a few scattered few and far between. Why? because of the extremes like we just had that S. Florida does not get even in the "80's".

The 80's were a once in hundred year decade. They had huge CIDP all over the south that were wiped out in the 80's that had been there decades. Mt St. Helens contributed to the cold winters also. A decade like that won't be around for a while. People should just replant, and with global warming these extremes will get less likely.

Old 03-19-2021, 01:21 PM

30,481 posts, read 21,349,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Looks like I was right in 1989, 2011, and now this year. All this talk of coco palms in S. Texas and all you can find is a few scattered few and far between. Why? because of the extremes like we just had that S. Florida does not get even in the "80's".

The 80's were a once in hundred year decade. They had huge CIDP all over the south that were wiped out in the 80's that had been there decades. Mt St. Helens contributed to the cold winters also. A decade like that won't be around for a while. People should just replant, and with global warming these extremes will get less likely.
We had year after year of temps i will never see in my lifetime again from 19f to 24f in Tampa. March 3rd 1980 Tampa was 29f that is just about coconut killing if many hours long. 1981,82,83,84,85,86 and 89 saw temps we never saw again in the last near 40 years. Never even get to 32f in my area anymore and now coconuts are growing in west Pasco county vs 30 mile more to the south in 1980. Out past 30 years at the rate of rapid warming i see them growing in north FL right on the gulf. But i am sure we will have a freak freeze one day that will knock them all back again. But the trend since 1990 has been insane warming minus the freak super cold 3 months of 2010 that knocked out many Coconuts.

I never went winter after not even getting close to 32f like we have now as we just always had at least one nite with temps in the 20's and low 30's. Never get highs in the 40's anymore as well.

Old 12-23-2022, 12:31 PM

5,749 posts, read 3,531,809 times
Bump
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather