Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2011, 03:24 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,942,709 times

Advertisements

I looked thru the photos and only saw two photos of coconut palm trees. One was very small right up against a house (micro-climate) and the other seemed to be very close to a house, probably on the south side. They look pretty badly beat up. I'm curious how they can tell they are still alive. I didn't see green shoots. The royal palms also looked pretty bad.

I've mentioned this before, but it doesn't seem that coconut palms thrive or do well there. Areas in FL with the same average winter lows, like Siesta Key, have many, many more coco palms than that. In TX photos, I keep seeing the same pics. Seems like maybe there are three or four trees in the whole area. Anyway, I'd like to see photos of the same trees this time next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 04:30 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,543,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I looked thru the photos and only saw two photos of coconut palm trees. One was very small right up against a house (micro-climate) and the other seemed to be very close to a house, probably on the south side. They look pretty badly beat up. I'm curious how they can tell they are still alive. I didn't see green shoots. The royal palms also looked pretty bad.

I've mentioned this before, but it doesn't seem that coconut palms thrive or do well there. Areas in FL with the same average winter lows, like Siesta Key, have many, many more coco palms than that. In TX photos, I keep seeing the same pics. Seems like maybe there are three or four trees in the whole area. Anyway, I'd like to see photos of the same trees this time next year.
I don't find it fair of you to compare Texas to Florida. Texas does not import Coconut Palms or most tropicals for that matter for unknown reasons. Most of the Coconuts you see in Texas are grown locally. Not many nurseries are willing to grow and sell a marginal plant and those that do price them higher then similar looking palms to a laymen's eye such as Queen or Royal Palms. Why pay more for something only a palm enthusiast could differentiate between?

Coconut Palms are (were?) also found in Brownsville and as far inland as McAllen. There are 10 on the island and another 10 in Port Isabel that I know of. All of the houses on the island are quite small and crowded together so I guess you could say it's one big micro climate. They grow fine on the island with irrigation between big freezes and if that's not enough for you, I've personally seen a fruiting one there.

Regarding your question on their survivability, if you look closely, there is some green pushing out of the center of the palm's crown. Royal Palms are fine and will probably look like nothing happened by mid summer with their fast growth. They're the 4th most common palm in the area and are practically bullet proof until the next 1989 type freeze.

Back to the comparison between Texas and Florida, the lower 1/4th of the peninsula can and does grow Coconut Palms commercially (for ornamental purposes). That being said, it is easy to find Coconut Palms in box stores or ship mature ones for more commercial places across the peninsula. That is why they are common in places like St. Petersburg which has about the same climate as South Padre Island. The damage there to Coconuts is quite comparable to the latter as well and a large number of them succumbed to the 2010 freeze. They looked ratty even in Miami. The northernmost place on the Gulf side where Coconut Palms survived 1989 was on Ana Maria Island and on the Atlantic side somewhere between Vero and West Palm Beach.

Last edited by Asagi; 04-02-2011 at 04:43 PM..

Old 04-02-2011, 05:26 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,717,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
I don't find it fair of you to compare Texas to Florida. Texas does not import Coconut Palms or most tropicals for that matter for unknown reasons. Most of the Coconuts you see in Texas are grown locally. Not many nurseries are willing to grow and sell a marginal plant and those that do price them higher then similar looking palms to a laymen's eye such as Queen or Royal Palms. Why pay more for something only a palm enthusiast could differentiate between?

Coconut Palms are (were?) also found in Brownsville and as far inland as McAllen. There are 10 on the island and another 10 in Port Isabel that I know of. All of the houses on the island are quite small and crowded together so I guess you could say it's one big micro climate. They grow fine on the island with irrigation between big freezes and if that's not enough for you, I've personally seen a fruiting one there.

Regarding your question on their survivability, if you look closely, there is some green pushing out of the center of the palm's crown. Royal Palms are fine and will probably look like nothing happened by mid summer with their fast growth. They're the 4th most common palm in the area and are practically bullet proof until the next 1989 type freeze.

Back to the comparison between Texas and Florida, the lower 1/4th of the peninsula can and does grow Coconut Palms commercially (for ornamental purposes). That being said, it is easy to find Coconut Palms in box stores or ship mature ones for more commercial places across the peninsula. That is why they are common in places like St. Petersburg which has about the same climate as South Padre Island. The damage there to Coconuts is quite comparable to the latter as well and a large number of them succumbed to the 2010 freeze. They looked ratty even in Miami. The northernmost place on the Gulf side where Coconut Palms survived 1989 was on Ana Maria Island and on the Atlantic side somewhere between Vero and West Palm Beach.

If coconut palms were truly hardy all over that area, then they'd be self seeding and popping up like crazy like weeds. It seems they can live there with some babying and care but I agree with tom77falcons in that they don't seem to truly thrive there.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
If coconut palms were truly hardy all over that area, then they'd be self seeding and popping up like crazy like weeds. It seems they can live there with some babying and care but I agree with tom77falcons in that they don't seem to truly thrive there.
Quote:

I do not understand your analogy, Coconut Palms cannot spread like weeds, even in tropical areas. Their seeds are to big for most animals. Coconuts tend to sprout close to the mother plant without human interference or being washed into the ocean. Their natural way of spreading is by sea, that's why they are only found naturally on the coast. Coconut Palms do not "truly" thrive even in Miami as it gets too cold for fruit to be of commercial quality and even the foliage burns in bad winters like 2010. Even Hawaii is a tad to cool for optimum fruiting temperatures.

Last edited by Asagi; 04-02-2011 at 05:45 PM..

Old 04-02-2011, 05:45 PM

I would think a coconut palm would thrive in a place like the Southern Caribbean Islands, Indonesia, Amazon, Congo, Tropical Pacific Islands where it NEVER gets cold. You can grow coconuts in other places sure like South Texas, but they do not thrive and you have to protect them every now and then. I dont' consider that truly hardy.
There are species of palm trees that can survive here in Vancouver for 5-10 years but they always get blasted by arctic winds. I don't consider those trees truly hardy as a truly hardy tree should be able to survive for at least 100 years with no damage.
Why is that you never hear about frost damage in the lowland Amazon jungle or have Redwood trees that live for thousands of years? This is what I call truly hardy.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:
I would think a coconut palm would thrive in a place like the Southern Caribbean Islands, Indonesia, Amazon, Congo, Tropical Pacific Islands where it NEVER gets cold. You can grow coconuts in other places sure like South Texas, but they do not thrive and you have to protect them every now and then. I dont' consider that truly hardy.
There are species of palm trees that can survive here in Vancouver for 5-10 years but they always get blasted by arctic winds. I don't consider those trees truly hardy as a truly hardy tree should be able to survive for at least 100 years with no damage.
Why is that you never hear about frost damage in the lowland Amazon jungle or have Redwood trees that live for thousands of years? This is what I call truly hardy.
"They grow fine on the island with irrigation between big freezes..."

By the way, the Florida Royal Palm, Roystonea elata now merged with R. regia is native to South Florida yet experienced frost damage in parts of its range in 2010.

Last edited by Asagi; 04-02-2011 at 06:25 PM..

Old 04-02-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
"They grow fine on the island with irrigation between big freezes..."
That may be true but that doesn't mean that they thrive.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:57 PM

Coconut palms were never meant to be exposed to freezing weather. I'm certain their original native range did not have freezing temperatures.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
That may be true but that doesn't mean that they thrive.
My post does not disagree with your theory, obviously if they only grow for 20 years on the island it doesn't meet your 100 year standard. I had already replied to your first post about the Coconut Palms not thriving (according to your definition) on the island. Then you continued to say they don't thrive there even though I already agreed with you.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post

I'm certain Coconut Palms don't thrive in Siesta Key or all of Florida for that matter because they wouldn't last 100 years without being damaged or killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather