Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 10:08 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,746,221 times

Advertisements

Call me crazy, but my goal next winter is to travel to Siberia in January and be there when it is at least 40 below.

I am really weird when it comes to the weather and seem to either want it above 90 or below -20!

Have any of you been to Siberia in the winter? Did it feel as cold as you thought? I must say I'm really wanting to do this and am actually more concerned about no one understanding english than i am about the cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 10:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,562,463 times
Mt. Washington has a windchill of -30°F out right now and it's in New England. I'm sure it gets below -40°F occasionally. Nothing like -40°F without the wind.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:19 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,608,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Mt. Washington has a windchill of -30°F out right now and it's in New England. I'm sure it gets below -40°F occasionally. Nothing like -40°F without the wind.
Dumont D'urville has recorded windspeeds up to 324kph, at times when it's already very cold.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:44 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,562,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Dumont D'urville has recorded windspeeds up to 324kph, at times when it's already very cold.
Yes, but it's in Antarctica. The average windspeed looks lower, too assuming wunderground is accurate. Average windspeed in January on Mt. Washington is 74 km/hr. I see about 30 km/hr for Dumont D'urville.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:29 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,170,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Call me crazy, but my goal next winter is to travel to Siberia in January and be there when it is at least 40 below.

I am really weird when it comes to the weather and seem to either want it above 90 or below -20!

Have any of you been to Siberia in the winter? Did it feel as cold as you thought? I must say I'm really wanting to do this and am actually more concerned about no one understanding english than i am about the cold.
I can understand your desire to do this. I myself would like to spend a winter up in Barrow, Alaska just for fun.

Ya, Siberia would be an interesting experience. I don't know much about it or where the coldest temperatures occur.

I'm moving to North Dakota and hope to experience a -40 sometime in the next 5 years. Since the record for the state is -60, it is possible. Time will tell.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:30 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,470,424 times
The thought about visiting Siberia crossed my mind. I am particularly intrigued by the phenomenon of ice fog. First, though, I'd try something a bit closer to home (and not as cold).

On a side note, I think one day Verkhoyansk and Oymyakon will be tourist hot spots in winter (no pun intended).

Old 02-12-2011, 02:39 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,074,450 times
The idea of "climate tourism" is an interesting notion. I would love to travel to Death Valley in July or Oymyakon in January, and thus experience some of the hottest and coldest weather the world has to offer.

Check this out -- someone swimming in the hot springs of Oymyakon at -62 F! Wouldn't that be an experience?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEUWJ4o9bI4

Old 02-12-2011, 03:58 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,667,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post

I've got friends who've been across the Trans-Siberian railway but in March/April. They say English is not widely spoken, but people are friendly and curious. The best bet would be to take the train across Siberia if you want moderate extreme cold (-20C) or if you want the -40C stuff it'd be easier to fly to Yakutsk via Moscow, though I've heard it's not as cheap as you might think with it being Russia. I remember watching a TV programme about a British person going to Oymyakon which might be worth watching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3V3e4o_lU0

Old 02-12-2011, 05:30 AM

3,341 posts, read 5,564,404 times
If this trip would be purely in the interest of weather, why would you go to Siberia for cold weather when you can go to Canada or Alaska for equally cold weather?

Old 02-12-2011, 07:56 AM

927 posts, read 1,949,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
If this trip would be purely in the interest of weather, why would you go to Siberia for cold weather when you can go to Canada or Alaska for equally cold weather?
Or, how about here:

Peter Sinks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather