Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 06:23 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Kentucky and now reside in far northwestern Minnesota where our summers are quite short in comparison to southern climates. But I echo many of the sentiments here in regards to dreading the heat, humidity and sun of the warm season. My mom says growing up in Kentucky, I stayed inside with the A/C on and blinds pulled during the summer and in the winter/cold season (which is short in Kentucky) I was outside all the time.

Now that I have been up north living for a long time, I still loathe the first warm spell in April and May. I am in my 40s and I have seen my doctor about and I am on special anti-depression medication during the summer months (as needed to deal with extreme heat days) to deal with the warm temperatures. Much above 70 or 75F I get very very irritable and sweat profusely when outside. Above 90F which we get 5 to 10 times a summer is almost intolerable. In the summer, the sun doesnt set til almost 10 pm where I live now, and rises before 5 am. Too much daylight for me. I feel way much better on a cloudy day and sunny day after sunny day feels so suffocating for me....like I want to sleep all day.

In our winters, which are frequently below zero F, I love it as the days are short and nights are long and I dont have to suffer the heat. My body tolerates the cold very well. I am much happier if I dont see the sun for extended periods, doesnt bother me in the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
I'm convinced I have summer SAD -- although I do say that with my tongue in my cheek. I hate the sun, the heat, and the humidity of a Charlotte, NC summer, and I call these months my "crying time." I start getting grumpy in late-March when we have our first warm, sunny days. By the end of May, I've become resigned to the heat and my bad mood is no longer acute, but come August, it comes back because I'm just so SICK of the heat/sun. (Really, I think I could tolerate the heat if I could just do without the sun and the humidity.) I celebrate the summer solstice on June 21 because it means the days will start getting shorter. I become REALLY impatient by the end of September, and when the cool days of late-October finally arrive, I'm positively giddy.

My perfect weather is 55, overcast/gray, maybe even with an ever-so-slight drizzle.
I am exactly the same way....I go through my worst period of grumpy almost anger during the spring when things are greening up and getting warm. By mid summer it is here and I accept it....then come September and October I am loving it as the trees start changing color and leaves falling and I know our first snowfall is on its way around Halloween.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:14 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
I am exactly the same way....I go through my worst period of grumpy almost anger during the spring when things are greening up and getting warm. By mid summer it is here and I accept it....then come September and October I am loving it as the trees start changing color and leaves falling and I know our first snowfall is on its way around Halloween.
Fall is one of the best times of year. I love when the first crisp days of the season arrive, leaves start changing and falling, and the days start getting shorter. Everyone thinks I'm crazy for liking early sunsets.

I certainly don't like heat, humidity, and sunshine day after day after day, but I definitely don't get depressed over it. I whine about it, but deal with it and continue living my life.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:10 PM

606 posts, read 1,078,921 times
I asked this same question on another site. I think I have Summer SAD too. I loathe hot weather and summer and spring somehow depress me. But come winter and fall, I couldn't be outside enough. I'd take a rainy, cold, or snowy day over an 80 degree, sunny, humid type weather any day. Here's a quick article on Summer SAD: Summer Depression: Causes, Symptoms, and Tips to Help.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicislife.glee View Post
I asked this same question on another site. I think I have Summer SAD too. I loathe hot weather and summer and spring somehow depress me. But come winter and fall, I couldn't be outside enough. I'd take a rainy, cold, or snowy day over an 80 degree, sunny, humid type weather any day. Here's a quick article on Summer SAD: Summer Depression: Causes, Symptoms, and Tips to Help.
Wow! Thanks for this article. This is the first I have read that explains it in good concise terms. To me it is the heat and curiously enough the increased sunlight-daylight hours. I am a night person and always have been. But it is the heat than can send me over the edge and I have a low tolerance. Much above 75F on a humid-muggy day is too much. My issue is that I tend to gain weight during the summer as I am less active versus the winter season.

Thanks
Dan

Old 06-03-2011, 06:45 AM

606 posts, read 1,078,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Wow! Thanks for this article. This is the first I have read that explains it in good concise terms. To me it is the heat and curiously enough the increased sunlight-daylight hours. I am a night person and always have been. But it is the heat than can send me over the edge and I have a low tolerance. Much above 75F on a humid-muggy day is too much. My issue is that I tend to gain weight during the summer as I am less active versus the winter season.

Thanks
Dan
I know exactly what you mean. You're welcome for the article. Another friend suggested it to me because she thought I had "problems" because I didn't loooove hot weather like everyone else on the planet. Humidity drives me insane. I know about the weight gain thing too. Where I live right now, we don't get a lot of snow, which depresses me. There's nothing to do outside. Everything shuts down when it snows one inch

Old 06-03-2011, 06:12 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
There is in Texas. It's full of very SAD weather , way too hot and the bad thing is it goes from Spring to Fall. If it went from June to September, it wouldn't be so darn bad.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:01 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
In Australia - yes, very much so! Too much sun and little rain does not do much to lift our spirits. The more rain and less sun - the better
Speak for yourself. You're actually one of the few Australians who hates the sun and dry weather. You have always intrigued me.

And to answer this thread, I can ACTUALLY get depressed when it's sunny for a week's (or fortnight's) end. Maybe it's because of the monotony and how its repetitiveness would feel like "groundhog day". It has happened to me a few years ago, seeing all people happy in the endless sunny days whilst I just look at them in misery...

Old 04-18-2015, 09:22 AM

2,850 posts, read 1,971,574 times
I've become a little depressed from the constant sunshine I experience when traveling out West in the summer. In North Carolina, however, we get enough rain that the heat and humidity don't bug me too much. I still look forward to fall, but by mid-September, the weather becomes comfortable enough for me again.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:24 AM

1,011 posts, read 715,911 times
It's possible to have SAD here in summer simply because it's often just as cloudy as winter.

As for "summer SAD" relating to sunny warm weather, nope can't relate to that at all. The few warm sunny days we get a year here in the UK are like gems hidden in pig poop. Bright colours, light, comforting warm balmy air and sweet nature smells, nature bursting into life, what could one hate about that, or find depressing. As someone whose been diagnosed in the past with depression issues etc... I can tell you dead lifeless conditions and winter, cold, short days make everything a lot worse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather