Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you prefer to live in?
Miami 37 49.33%
Rio de Janeiro 38 50.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 09:46 PM

51 posts, read 147,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
It wasn't exaggerated by the media. As you say, Miami is obviously known for year-round warmth, so to have a pro-longed period of cool weather is unusual . The temperature was below 70 F for six days, mostly in the low 60s. January 8th reached 74 F, but the following two days were 63 F and 48 F, respectively. Then for three more days it was only in the 60s. Eleven days failed to reach 70 F. December 2010 was actually cooler on average than January 2010.
I was reffering to the fact that every extreme forecast of the USA weather will be all over the world,that's not the same for Brazil,Brazilian weather news are not on the top pages of the world of Europe or the USA,that's why for someone who is living abroad is hard to get weather news from Brazil and we don't know that much about the extreme weather thats going on in Brazil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 10:23 PM

678 posts, read 1,205,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabro View Post
I was reffering to the fact that every extreme forecast of the USA weather will be all over the world,that's not the same for Brazil,Brazilian weather news are not on the top pages of the world of Europe or the USA,that's why for someone who is living abroad is hard to get weather news from Brazil and we don't know that much about the extreme weather thats going on in Brazil
Not in the headlines but, maybe at the bottom of the page. The fact is, all news about cold in Brazil are linked to coffe and soy prices:

NY Times: Coffee Prices Soar on Worry About Cold Weather in Brazil

Old 06-04-2011, 10:30 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
The record low in Brownsville/Port Isabel is 15/17*F and 18/19*F in Tampa/Orlando, that isn't a big difference subtropical vegetation wise.

Coconut Palm in Orlando after 2010, taken in September.

UPDATE royal, coconut and other tropical palms, Orlando on I-Drive - PalmTalk
Coconut Palm in Brownsville after Feb 2011, taken in March (there's a green spear emerging).

Brownsville Mar 2011 :: coconut.jpg picture by richtrav - Photobucket

Not much difference. You'd probably have to go down to Tampico to start seeing completely tropical vegetation.
There is a heck of a lot of diff between Fort Lauderdale veg and Brownsville. I didn't say there was a lot of diff between Orlando and Brownsville vegetation.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
There is a heck of a lot of diff between Fort Lauderdale veg and Brownsville. I didn't say there was a lot of diff between Orlando and Brownsville vegetation.
What region in Florida starts seeing temperate vegetation?

Old 06-05-2011, 09:09 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,542,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardobrazil View Post
What region in Florida starts seeing temperate vegetation?
Temperate vegetation continues all the way into the Keys, but no part of the state is or looks truly temperate due to the Sabal palmetto palms and 2 other species of undergrowth palms. I would guess somewhat more temperate looking vegetation would start somewhere north of Orlando inland and St. Augustine on the coast.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Temperate vegetation continues all the way into the Keys, but no part of the state is or looks truly temperate due to the Sabal palmetto palms and 2 other species of undergrowth palms. I would guess somewhat more temperate looking vegetation would start somewhere north of Orlando inland and St. Augustine on the coast.
I'd thought it started past Jacksonville and Pensacola which are two of the coldest cities on state. But most of Florida is covered by coastal mangrove like Everglades isn't?

Old 06-05-2011, 01:39 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,542,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardobrazil View Post
I'd thought it started past Jacksonville and Pensacola which are two of the coldest cities on state. But most of Florida is covered by coastal mangrove like Everglades isn't?
Jacksonville and Pensacola still don't get very cold, usually not past 20*F. Almost all of Florida is a mix of temperate/tropical species (including the Everglades) so there's no clear distinction between the two. Red and white mangroves grow up to about Daytona Beach while black mangroves to around St. Augustine.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Jacksonville and Pensacola still don't get very cold, usually not past 20*F. Almost all of Florida is a mix of temperate/tropical species (including the Everglades) so there's no clear distinction between the two. Red and white mangroves grow up to about Daytona Beach while black mangroves to around St. Augustine.
As you said, Florida has mixed vegetation:

The forest behind that plate resembles some high subtropical forests we have in southeast of Brazil:

This is Serra dos Orgaos park on Rio mountains.

I think vegetation can be used as a way to define equal climates.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:18 PM

195 posts, read 250,658 times
The state of Florida has experienced snowfall. I don't think the same can be said for the state of Rio De Janeiro.

Here is a picture of snow in Northern Florida.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nostalgia Critic View Post
The state of Florida has experienced snowfall. I don't think the same can be said for the state of Rio De Janeiro.

Here is a picture of snow in Northern Florida.
Much to your surprise,it can be:I had already posted this pics before but you have it:

http://altamontanha.com/news/50/atividades/imagens/Neve_que_a_352009_98746.jpg (broken link)

All pictures are of Agulhas Negras peak, Rio's highest point, on July 1985.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather